Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Other
I'm struggling to understand this. Tons of people openly have babyfur usernames and such on telegram....

Telegram tells your phone's contacts that you have telegram.

Isn't this a huge privacy violation? Isn't the app supposed to be all about privacy?

What, exactly, does it tell them? I like telegram for the most part. It has some other nice features. I kinda wish more of my friends used it. But this really, really annoys me! So I decided not to use my fursona name nor avatar on telegram.

Does it tell android/ios contacts your telegram username? And if so, why aren't people worried about other contacts, such as family and coworkers, finding out they're babyfurs?

They're ok with hiding my number from people who don't know it.... But people who know my number get to find my telegram account, even if I'd rather not have them know it?

This is totally unnecessary anyway. If I want someone on my messenger list, I'll add them myself. I don't want everyone in my Google contacts knowing all about my online activity (slight exaggeration)

I see the option to add one person from my android contacts. Coincidentally, it's someone that is/was a member here, but I haven't talked to him, nor seen him around on the site, in a few years. I don't know what he sees on his end.

Telegram used to allow you to use voip numbers, like Google voice and stuff like that. It seemed like a great idea to me, but they blocked that option before I joined.

Am I misunderstanding something? It's possible. If so, please explain clearly. :sweatdrop: Surely there is somehow some sort of privacy protection here that I'm not noticing...?

Last edited:
I don't know about everyone, but I use a second (private) number for my telegram account. That way no-one that has my day to day number can find my account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Babyfurs use Telegram because it's the chat app of choice for the furry community. One tends to use the same platform everyone else does out of necessity, if nothing else, though Telegram is an excellent chat app with custom sticker functionality which is ideal for furries.

As for why the privacy concern from the way Telegram ties to your phone number and contacts doesn't dissuade babyfurs - I'd say the overwhelming majority probably haven't given deep enough thought to the implications of it, some have made an informed choice that it doesn't matter to them, and some use an alternative phone number. You can use a free Google Voice number with Telegram.

Because microsoft sucks for forcing people to use their client for skype which keeps making me accidentally call people because they still refuse to let you disable video and voice calls (I don't want to use those, I especially don't want to accidentally engage them, yet it keeps happening ><) With the exception of google hangouts and facebook messenger, most other services are pretty much dead, really was hopping the furry jabber community would take off.

They don't allow Google voice signups anymore on Telegram. I tried it. They block voip registrations now.

What info does the other person see and when?

This person is on my phone contacts, and not my Telegram contacts. I see a name.... which I guess... that would be his name in my Google contact list. Because it doesn't say @TelegramUsername anywhere.I don't see an avatar, but I'm unsure if that's because he doesn't have one set or not. But at what point in contact would we see each others' avatars and telegram usernames? When a message is sent? When we both add each other? :confused:

rennecfox said:
Because microsoft sucks for forcing people to use their client for skype which keeps making me accidentally call people because they still refuse to let you disable video and voice calls (I don't want to use those, I especially don't want to accidentally engage them, yet it keeps happening ><)

I have skype, but I don't use it much.
The plus for my PC is that I don't have a mic nor cam hooked up to it... xD
I don't open skype on my laptop very often... it does have a mic and cam. But.... I sort of only enable them when I wanna use them.
I agree that they should make it easier to just simply disable things within Skype itself.
And I really do like telegram.... I'm just really concerned that maybe it should be more private. Or that I'm misunderstanding something. :sweatdrop:

ShippoFox said:
What info does the other person see and when?

This person is on my phone contacts, and not my Telegram contacts. I see a name.... which I guess... that would be his name in my Google contact list. Because it doesn't say @TelegramUsername anywhere.I don't see an avatar, but I'm unsure if that's because he doesn't have one set or not. But at what point in contact would we see each others' avatars and telegram usernames? When a message is sent? When we both add each other? :confused:

They see your name as they have it in their address book, if they have you in their address book.

rennecfox said:
They see your name as they have it in their address book, if they have you in their address book.

Okay, so I would only be seeing his google contacts avatar right now? He doesn't see any info he doesn't already know. I don't see anything I don't already know. I think that's correct?

If I message him, what will he see? (not that I'd actually care what he sees... but in a hypothetical situation, it's someone from my family instead)
Or if he suddenly messages me, what will he see?
I'm trying to figure out at what point he would see my telegram username and icon.
I don't know why telegram doesn't make it more clear. they just say "contacts can see if you have telegram" or whatever... or I'm just not finding the page where they specify this stuff.

They say they don't give out your number to anyone that doesn't already have it, but they don't say anything about when someone learns your username.

your contact sees what you have on telegram, by default, basically the biggest telegram flaw, if they have your phone number and telegram, they basically are already friended

So the moment he messages me, if that were to happen, he gets my telegram name... just like I thought. I guess I'll just keep using it the way I am now, without my fursona info. Or try to see if I can somehow eventually get another account.

I did get an account with my NextPlus number at one point.... but my number previously belonged to some foreign spammer.
I deleted the account, then tried to remake it, but it wouldn't allow the account to be remade. :sweatdrop:

ShippoFox said:
So the moment he messages me, :sweatdrop:

Actually the moment he scrolls through his contact list.

rennecfox said:
Actually the moment he scrolls through his contact list.

I don't see his @telegramusername anywhere. Just his phone number.
Although.... maybe he never made a username... I think you can use telegram without a username, can't you?

Yeah, making a username is optional.

Fruitkitty said:
You can use a free Google Voice number with Telegram.

Wow.... I just tried this again.... Apparently, it works now.
The first time I tried it (apparently August 2016), it wouldn't send me the code no matter how many times I tried. I tried again days later, and it still didn't work.
So I had tried it several times on different days. I guess that was just my typical bad luck... :sweatdrop:

Now I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'll keep using my current telegram until/unless I decide to eventually switch it.

So if anyone wants to join Telegram, I recommend Fruitkitty's advice.

Last edited:
When I first got telegram oh my phone, it scanned my contacts list and added anyone with a telegram number. Completely freaked me out (also outed a few people I knew from school who apparently are furries). Luckily I used my phones number (which basically no one has) instead of my google voice number (which I use for everything).

It seems like telegram is pretty much dominated by the furry community anyway, so I'm not super worried about friends who have telegram finding mine (though mine isn't overtly diaperfur either, they'd have to look up my FA page and then scroll to the back).

irnub said:
When I first got telegram oh my phone, it scanned my contacts list and added anyone with a telegram number. Completely freaked me out (also outed a few people I knew from school who apparently are furries). Luckily I used my phones number (which basically no one has) instead of my google voice number (which I use for everything).

So my concerns really aren't paranoia. And i guess people who use Google voice as their main number might want to use their phone's number instead. XD

I think Skype tried to add my contacts once after an update. I was confused and shocked about it. I quickly went into settings and disabled everything seemingly related to it, and I think i blocked everyone it tried to add, I don't remember for sure.

ShippoFox said:
So my concerns really aren't paranoia. And i guess people who use Google voice as their main number might want to use their phone's number instead. XD

I think Skype tried to add my contacts once after an update. I was confused and shocked about it. I quickly went into settings and disabled everything seemingly related to it, and I think i blocked everyone it tried to add, I don't remember for sure.

It's common practice for web services to block things like Google Voice, either the number isn't black listed, or you got lucky and they unblocked the service, skype, facebook, twitter do the same thing with things like google voice and disposable phone numbers.

It does become a pain in the arse, when sites do this, but usually it's because of the high amount of Nigerians who use the service to start scamming people with, so they often, block the services to prevent abuse, it sucks. (not just Nigerians though, people who abuse the services, which I'm guessing is something close to 40%??)

The other reason is, advertising and marketing, they want your real phone number so they can go sell that data to third parties and invade your privacy, a mate of mine experienced something like this when a company sold his data to a third party, and started getting samples and shit in the mail.

Same goes with VPNs or Proxies, sites nowadays are very anal over that, Paypal locks you out of your account, sites will flag any orders as fraud even though It's not etc, it's a crazy world out there.

Get this, with tor you can't even use Google, that's how bad this shit is getting.

For example create a new twitter or facebook account on a VPN, bam you'll be asked for a mobile phone number, if you manage to get passed it ie, clean proxy etc, once you connect to a flagged proxy or VPN (which is highly likely) you'll randomly be locked out and asked to provide a mobile number as they noticed suspicious activity from your account. o_O

Binary said:
It does become a pain in the arse, when sites do this, but usually it's because of the high amount of Nigerians who use the service to start scamming people with, so they often, block the services to prevent abuse, it sucks. (not just Nigerians though, people who abuse the services, which I'm guessing is something close to 40%?

Just like the Telegram account I briefly had with my NextPlus number. It was full of spam when I first logged into it. Most of it was in arabic or something similar and a lot of the messages were exactly the same to different people. I tried to delete them for a few minutes, then I gave up and closed the account. (then it wouldn't let me remake) XD

I have one but only use it for a few things within my appartment and communication with other cubs

dartwolf5664 said:
I have one but only use it for a few things within my appartment and communication with other cubs

A few things around your apartment, ok I'm curious what this means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back