New pampers swaddlers size 7!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cottontail said:
Fascinating! I'll be very interested to check these diapers out when they show up at my Walmart--or wherever. (I was in the diaper aisle at Walmart a couple of days ago and didn't spot these.)

...but as previous Swaddlers sizing has agreed with Cruisers sizing, and as Cruisers run smaller than Baby Dry and Luvs, I'm doubting these Swaddlers 7 will be anything new, size-wise. If they're the same size as Cruisers 7, they'll still be slightly smaller than Baby Dry 6 and Luvs 6, and these latter two diapers are infinitely more available.

Or that's according to the measurements I took in August. (At that time, Cruisers 6 and Swadders 6 were both 20-3/4" long, Cruisers 7 were 21-5/8" long, and Baby Dry 6 and Luvs 6 were both 22-1/4" long.)

In Pampers diapers, the innovation seems to starts with Cruisers and make its way to the other diapers after that. I see that Baby Dry now has that weird maxi-pad-style "absorb channels" padding, for instance. I haven't seen that feature called out on the smaller bags of Baby Dry yet, but when I do, I'll buy some of those and measure them. My fear is that the Cruisers (and Swaddlers) sizing system may be one of the features that's headed for Baby Dry and Luvs. Further evidence of this is the fact that the UK Baby Dry 7 seems more closely aligned with the sizing of US Cruisers 7, and is no larger than US Baby Dry 6.

It's frustrating, but I think we're actually headed in a direction of smaller, not larger, Pampers diapers, despite what the numbers on the packages say. Actual measurements don't lie. And really, given that Huggies and almost all other diaper brands are smaller than Pampers for a given size (in August, I measured Huggies Snug & Dry 6, Little Movers 6, and Overnights 6 at 20" long), one has to wonder why Pampers would make things even bigger. They wouldn't! In some instances, their size 6 diapers are already 10+% larger (wider, longer, and stretchier) than anything else out there. And yet, lots of parents seem pretty happy with Huggies. Where I live, the stores that sell baby diapers generally have a better selection of Huggies products than they do of Pampers products.

:shrug:

Its all a marketing gimmick, my buddies kid is just 2 yrs old and he's already in size 7 cruisers, he looks like a normal, maybe slightly above average in height and weight for a 2 yr old, but seriously size 7 already?
This is the company's way to make extra money, babies aren't getting bigger, but if you can rebrand and convince parents that these same size diapers are bigger now, they will be less remorseful in buying them for more $$$ and less product in a package.

pampers4U said:
...if you can rebrand and convince parents that these same size diapers are bigger now, they will be less remorseful in buying them for more $$$ and less product in a package.

Mmmm... I'm not sure I follow that reasoning at all. I think the intended effect is simply that Pampers sizing is incompatible with the sizing of other diapers. Making things proprietary like that is a marketing strategy that's as old as time, and one that's been applied to countless other products across countless other industries. You get people "stuck" using your brand. Got a toddler wearing size 7 Cruisers or Swaddlers? Thinking about switching to Huggies? Ha! Too bad. There's no such thing as size 7 Huggies!

Of course, now we're seeing the other diaper makers catching on. Once everybody has a size 7, we'll probably have another of these sizing changes. Maybe Pampers will start using letters or something. Maybe we'll have sizes A through G, and AA for preemie or something. They'll probably never go back to the S/M/L/XL/XXL kind of sizing, though. To much negative stigma associated with the notion of XXL baby diapers.

While both Pampers4U has a point that the sizing difference is minimal to the point of it not even being practical, Cottontail you do boast a good argument too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bp220 said:
The cruisers, swaddlers, and parents choice size 7 should be on the shelf by Monday. I'm sure most Walmarts will have them as long as it's a super center.

The new swaddlers do have the absorb channels. As for size I just visually compared them to the cruisers and they seem the same. I haven't taken any real measurements.

The dollar general brand size 7, which is the same diaper as cuties brand are a good inch or more longer then pampers and the stretchy sides are thicker and hold up better than pampers.

Now will the new Pampers come in only the large cases like you have in the picture or the Super Packs as well as the mega packs?

nrcash1 said:
Now will the new Pampers come in only the large cases like you have in the picture or the Super Packs as well as the mega packs?

I've only seen the cases in the store. I assume the smaller bags will be available online.

Bp220 said:
I've only seen the cases in the store. I assume the smaller bags will be available online.

[emoji1303]. Big cases & medium cases?

nrcash1 said:
[emoji1303]. Big cases & medium cases?

Just the 70ct swaddlers and the 76?ct cruisers

I picked up a box of Swaddlers 7 this morning and will share my thoughts--probably tonight. I haven't seen Walmart or anybody carrying Cruisers 7 in small bags recently, so I suspect that Swaddlers 7 will be the same way. If you want to try them, be prepared to buy a box.

Cottontail said:
I picked up a box of Swaddlers 7 this morning and will share my thoughts--probably tonight. I haven't seen Walmart or anybody carrying Cruisers 7 in small bags recently, so I suspect that Swaddlers 7 will be the same way. If you want to try them, be prepared to buy a box.

Results??? I saw a box of 70 today, held off on buying a full case.

babybobby said:
Results??? I saw a box of 70 today, held off on buying a full case.

Sheesh! So much impatience. :)

The result is that they're the exactly same size as Cruisers 7. When pulled flat, they measure 21-5/8" in length, 15-1/2" tape-to-tape in back (tapes folded in, wings not stretched at all), 8-3/4" wide in the crotch, and the taping panel on the front is 7" wide. Without much effort, I was able to stretch the wings until the tapes were 36" inches apart. This is short of my personal record of 41" (set using the 2011 "3-Way-Fit" Cruisers 7), but was still enough for me to tape the diaper around my 38" midsection and get the tapes on the taping panel. Not comfortable, but hey! These are for toddlers, so whaddaya expect?

I didn't have a full bladder, but I did my best to empty it anyway, and--no leaks! But that's not saying much. Hopefully I'll find more time to play with these tomorrow.

So, with all that said, Baby Dry 6 and Luvs 6 still get my vote for Best Pampers Diaper, based solely on their being slightly longer (22-1/4"). Their tapes are just as stretchy, and they're also far easier to obtain in small quantities. Put another way: It will frustrate some that these Swaddlers 7 are available only in large boxes, but don't despair. Like Cruisers 7, they're really not worth the effort (IMO). On the other hand, who knows how long these larger Baby Dry 6 and Luvs 6 diapers will be around? As mentioned earlier in the thread, the "extra absorb channels" padding has made it to Baby Dry 6. So far, I only see it called out on the larger boxes, but I'm sure the smaller bags will have it once they're restocked. When they do, I'll buy a bag and measure. I'm worried that the Cruisers and Swaddlers sizing may have come to Baby Dry as well. That would be a bummer.

EDIT: I'll add that one nice thing about Cruisers 7 and Swaddlers 7 is that the clothlike covers, because they're a bit thicker than the ones on Baby Dry and Luvs, are extra easy to remove in one piece. This is great if you enjoy plasticizing your cloth-backed disposables, or if you like to make diaper extenders. I've had a couple people tell me that the covers on recent Baby Dry and Luvs diapers were fragile, and that removing them was difficult and made for less-durable extenders. Sadly, I can confirm. I've enjoyed decent results despite this, but it's required a bit more care than it used to. On the other hand, removing and working with the covers of these latest Cruisers and Swaddlers diapers is extra easy, so if you're an aspiring diaper hacker, that might be one reason to seek these larger Swaddlers out. They're a bit more hackable.

Last edited:
Cottontail,
Thank you for taking the time and spending the money to measure all of these Pampers diapers over the years.

How many uses can you typically get out of your diaper extenders using the outer cover?

Does the taping panel on the new Swaddlers seem more like the Cruisers 7 or Baby Dry 6? I wear both regularly for some variety, but the Cruisers seem to hold up a little better with my homemade extenders using velcro one wrap and microfiber towel to cover most of the hook side that is against my skin. The Baby Dry requires a strip of the velcro across the front while the Cruisers hold just fine with the velcro covering about 1.5" of the panel on either side.

I really hope they don't make the Baby Dry size 6 smaller with the new extra absorb channels. I also have not yet bought a large box just to try them, but I am curious if I should be stocking up on the current generation.

Knowing if the next new versions will be better or worse has always been tough to figure out before the current version disappears. I think 2011? (mostly white front, green dots on the back, white wings, and blue tapes) was the only time I successfully bought a couple boxes of my preferred version before they disappeared from all stores and I wish I bought more.

pampers7 said:
How many uses can you typically get out of your diaper extenders using the outer cover?
That's tough to say. Back when I first played with that method, I would usually make a new pair of extenders with the first diaper from a new bag, use them until the bag was finished, then toss them. Most of the time, they were still perfectly functional--perhaps a little ragged-looking and stretched-out--by the time I was done with them. It just seemed like a good idea to remake them semi-regularly. There were a couple of times when I wore Pampers with those extenders for many hours straight, and I never had an issue. In fact, truth be told, I've never had them fail on me while in use. They just get a little ugly, and eventually start to offend my aesthetic sensibilities. :)

But in the last three years, I've several times torn the covers of Baby Dry 6 and particularly Luvs 6 diapers while removing them to make extenders, and others have shared similar experiences. And I'm fairly practiced at peeling them off, too, so I can well imagine that a person just getting started might have real trouble. Without a doubt, the covers of Cruisers and Swaddlers are wayyyyy easier to remove. In fact, it's actually difficult to ruin the cover. Almost certainly, extenders made from the covers of these diapers can be expected to last longer, but I guess I have no real proof of that. :)

pampers7 said:
Does the taping panel on the new Swaddlers seem more like the Cruisers 7 or Baby Dry 6? I wear both regularly for some variety, but the Cruisers seem to hold up a little better with my homemade extenders using velcro one wrap and microfiber towel to cover most of the hook side that is against my skin. The Baby Dry requires a strip of the velcro across the front while the Cruisers hold just fine with the velcro covering about 1.5" of the panel on either side.
The taping panel on these Swaddlers agrees with my memory of the last Cruisers 7 diapers I had, which were purchased in August of 2016. I was finished with those sometime mid-September and didn't buy more.

pampers7 said:
I really hope they don't make the Baby Dry size 6 smaller with the new extra absorb channels. I also have not yet bought a large box just to try them, but I am curious if I should be stocking up on the current generation.
As soon as I see the "absorb channels" mentioned on the bags of Baby Dry 6, I'll buy one and report back. I don't mind the absorb channels padding, to be honest, even though it does very much remind me of a maxi pad. But if we can keep the 22-1/4" length of Baby Dry 6 and Luvs 6, I'll be very happy. For years, those have been the baby diapers I've used the most. It's very convenient to have the largest Pampers also be the ones you can buy in just about every store.

But! If the Cruisers/Swaddlers sizing does finally infect Baby Dry... I suppose it's possible I might switch over to these Swaddlers 7. Having to go out of my way (my Walmart is not too near) and buy them by the box is slightly annoying, but a big baby has to have his diaper fix, so... :shrug:

pampers7 said:
Knowing if the next new versions will be better or worse has always been tough to figure out before the current version disappears. I think 2011? (mostly white front, green dots on the back, white wings, and blue tapes) was the only time I successfully bought a couple boxes of my preferred version before they disappeared from all stores and I wish I bought more.
Yeah, the mid-2011 Cruisers 7, the first ones with the "3-Way-Fit" branding, were the most ABDL-friendly Pampers in recent history. The elastic was the best its ever been. A year later, they brought the thicker Swaddlers cover material to Cruisers, and that included the cover on the elastic. Suddenly it was a lot harder to stretch. It's still crazy-stretchy, of course. The fact that I, with a 38" waist, can still managed to tug and squirm my way into these diapers is pretty amazing. Or at least amusing. :) But yeah... If I could go back in time and stock up on older Pampers, 2011 is one year I'd visit. And then probably 1989.

I picked up a box this morning and I agree with your sizing conclusions. Unfortunately my printed coupon did not work, but I was not entirely surprised with the new size and some Pampers reps not acknowledging their existence when asked on facebook.
Cottontail said:
The taping panel on these Swaddlers agrees with my memory of the last Cruisers 7 diapers I had, which were purchased in August of 2016. I was finished with those sometime mid-September and didn't buy more.

I agree with this assessment. The taping panel material does seem more like the Cruisers than Baby Dry. This is what I was hoping for since it holds better with my reusable velcro extenders that make the diaper much more comfortable, although I can place the tapes on the wings without it. I have not done any Swaddlers endurance testing without extenders.
Cottontail said:
As soon as I see the "absorb channels" mentioned on the bags of Baby Dry 6, I'll buy one and report back. I don't mind the absorb channels padding, to be honest, even though it does very much remind me of a maxi pad. But if we can keep the 22-1/4" length of Baby Dry 6 and Luvs 6, I'll be very happy. For years, those have been the baby diapers I've used the most. It's very convenient to have the largest Pampers also be the ones you can buy in just about every store.

But! If the Cruisers/Swaddlers sizing does finally infect Baby Dry... I suppose it's possible I might switch over to these Swaddlers 7. Having to go out of my way (my Walmart is not too near) and buy them by the box is slightly annoying, but a big baby has to have his diaper fix, so... :shrug:

I also don't mind the absorb channels and just hope we can keep the larger sizing. My previous favorite were the Cruisers size 7 followed by Baby Dry size 6, but it is too early to tell where the Swaddlers will slot in. I thought the Baby Dry interior was softer than Cruisers, but as previously mentioned the taping panel was better on the Cruisers for me. Without extenders I think the Baby Dry tapes survived longer than the Cruisers. When the Cruisers size 7 briefly had the interior mesh layer I was not a huge fan and the Swaddlers have not had as much time to decompress. So no conclusions yet.

I would expect the Swaddlers size 7 to eventually be sold at Target and other stores as well. Most of the new Pampers versions seem to have appeared at one store chain first before being rolled out to the rest of the big box stores. But Baby Dry size 6 has been even more widely available at most drug stores as well.

I was bored yesterday and checked out my 5 nearest Walmarts and there was some variability in the products offered. I think only the 3 biggest stores had the Swaddlers size 7. None had Cruisers size 7 and I noticed today that my nearest store did not have any Baby Dry of any size besides the few packages on a clearance rack. I think the other 4 stores I visited yesterday had plenty of space dedicated to the Baby Dry and were still getting restocked. I was disappointed when Walgreens stopped carrying Crusers size 7 in the last year or two, but luckily Target then started carrying them in store in the super pack (48ct) size.

Enough rambling, thanks again for your contributions to this topic.

Are these a market test by P&G? They've not advertised or pushed, so perhaps they are testing the market and seeing how sales go.

If this is true, people need to buy them so P&G gets the message. It's all about the Benjamin's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back