Weird American foods!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do it the other way around. Shove the can up the chicken's butt. :) Gives it some flavoring and keeps it from drying out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 year old multi generational citizen of The United States Of America and while I did have peanut butter and jelly as well as fluffanutter sandwiches as a child traditional Thanksgiving dinner never included any of the listed culinary disasters.

I'd call that article click bait!

Use the beer or Soda as a suppository for the bird , unless your on a strange add aluminium diet , and then your on your own ,but the selection is improving, these days I think they even make a pickup truck that you can add your your meal plan.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I don't get overly marshmallowed stuff, either. I hate them on sweet potatoes. Nice, safe, sane, sweet, fruity, nutty jello salad? Sure. I'll have to make it with KoJell sometime. I miss it. Ambrosia? Depends who makes it.

Not really into PB&J, I really like PB and honey, or PB and Nuttellia, or PB without the jelly. Also I do eat Sweet potato and marshmallow bake as well as other things like that, but I don't think I have ever eaten Frog eye salad. That sounds disgusting to me.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
I don't get overly marshmallowed stuff, either.

Yeah -- marshmallows are just cow bones that haven't quite been processed into glue. They don't exactly taste pleasant. :-/

Marshmallows floated in a cup of hot chocolate, Mmmmmmm good.

Burger King is coming out with a Froot Loops smoothie. I think that's gross, and yet other people here will love it.

I have made froot loop smoothies when I had a stomach virus, trust me was not the taste they are looking for.

I actually have a serious barf-inducing aversion to peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches that goes back to an incident in the first grade. The smell, look, and even as I type this, thought, all turn my stomach. That being said and as long as weird foods are on topic, I like trying weird things from time to time. Luckily the Asian market in town introduced me to silkworm chrysalis and other odd things. Probably the most exotic thing I've tried is mountain lion jerky.

ade said:
like, yeah, man!

i'm still struggling with the whole american 'bacon' thing: more like peelings than owt, as if the farmer's wife has been chasing the pig with a potato-peeler; and are they usually bought ready cooked?
our bacon:
View attachment 29085

those are from the butcher's, btw. i avoid the supermarkets on this issue as they follow the line of 'thin and crispy' which was introduced by some turd in the late 70s or early 80s (i forget the specifics), probably as a softener, with some irony, for the introduction of american-style 'bacon' (see, Little Chef). i never took to such burnt shards, seeing them as less and worse for the same price. give me british bacon any day.

of course, we can point out the flaws, but the Yanks did give us the food of kings: Spam!

You should try Japanese style bacon. Oh my god, it melts in your mouth.

I have a friend that we each throw in $125 and get a pig from a friend who raises them , we end up with about 500 pounds of meat each , it's the "other white meat" ,I don't understand American bacon from the store , I have had some really awesome artisans small batch bacon that was incredible , the stuff at the market just doesn't do anything for me.

Slomo said:
You should try Japanese style bacon. Oh my god, it melts in your mouth.
well, you sent me on a bacon-trek with that (mixed reviews, so i'll wait until it's in my face and for free). but, that trek (via wiki, mostly; i know, i know, but....) did clear up a couple of things for me:
the bacon i know to be 'proper' bacon is back bacon, and my reading re-introduced me to a phrase that i'd not heard for years, 'streaky bacon'. to us, or perhaps just to me, streaky bacon is/was the scrappy and fatty ends of a back cut. and when i say 'us', i mean northern Englanders; there's a bit of difference between the south and north, over here, and the re-knowledging of my bacon-awareness got me athinking about the snack, Frazzles, as they're [what i'd called] american style. turns out, while they are such a style, that style, pork belly, is also a cut which seems to be popular in the south of England and is what Frazzles, a southern invention, try to mimic. i remember thinking about the 'odd' shape of Frazzles as a kid, but had no info, obviously.

on a side note, to a side note, my last couple of bacon-buys have been the ends of the cut, with a fair bit of wastage when making a bacon butty; but the dog's been chuffed to bits :biggrin:

As we explore the beloved category of bacon , even Canadian bacon is different than American bacon , I think Canadian is the bomb, and probably more like English bacon ,and as far as ham I much preffered a sugar cured ham than a salt cured one . I am not a huge bacon person who could eat it every day, but will looking into Japanese style , I don't mind eating my way thru different cultures . There is an ice cream place in Colorado that used to make a bacon Jack Daniels ice cream , getting a couple of scoops of that between a couple of giant chocolate chip cookies was a real treat on a hot summer night ,they make 23 flavors of ice cream fresh everyday, that's one think I miss being east again is that ice cream shop .

ade said:
the bacon i know to be 'proper' bacon is back bacon, and my reading re-introduced me to a phrase that i'd not heard for years, 'streaky bacon'. to us, or perhaps just to me, streaky bacon is/was the scrappy and fatty ends of a back cut. and when i say 'us', i mean northern Englanders; there's a bit of difference between the south and north, over here, and the re-knowledging of my bacon-awareness got me athinking about the snack, Frazzles, as they're [what i'd called] american style. turns out, while they are such a style, that style, pork belly, is also a cut which seems to be popular in the south of England and is what Frazzles, a southern invention, try to mimic. i remember thinking about the 'odd' shape of Frazzles as a kid, but had no info, obviously.

I wasn't aware of any North/South divide on bacon! I've had the same style of bacon all over England. :-/

Don't we Brits tend to eat Danish bacon? Is there a difference between English and Danish bacon, or do the Danes supply us with English-style stuff...?

Well, Happy Easter, everyone.

Did you all have hot cross buns on Good Friday? Or is that a British thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back