Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever notice

Default Anyone ever notice

The English langauge and most other languages probably all are made up of words with no meaning or subjective meanomgs. By made up of i mean the foundatoin of it consists of such words.

What does to, by, do, if, all pronouns, and other such words really mean. If they have meanings there meanings may contain a word thats meanign contains it so they mean each other btu what do either of them mean i the first place. Then most words contain these words so no word really has a meaning.

Then there are the subjective words such as real, good, bad, ugly, pretty, cute, funny, smart, normal. and many more. All of those words have meanings that change depending on what a person thinks. Just like theones with no meanings these words can be found all over the place.

So what does anyhting anyone says really mean.

Uh, yeah. Natural languages are full of ambiguities, but it doesn't matter, because humans are good at determining the correct meaning anyway. This is one reason it's so hard to write a good computerized translator.

Okay... yeah, sure.

I concur with chevre. The human language center is really advanced, so we can easily determine the meaning of ambiguous and subjective words.

Thoughts are just electrical signals so do computers think?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Thoughts are just electrical signals so do computers think?
    Do robots dream of electric sheep?

I think most of the understanding comes from the body language.

A good deal of what we actually say seems to be just filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsis View Post
    Latin is the root language. From it, all romantic languages come.
    I thought english was germatic based?