Meds for panic and embarrassment during / after public accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

toejamer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Does your doctor prescribe meds for panic attack and coping with accidents in public? I was in a restaurant and had an unexpected very messy accident. All I could think of was getting outside and away from all those people trying to eat their meal. I had multiple panic attacks which made the mess even worse and I know I must have appeared to be a total drunken mess to others. I had to spend several minuets trying to recompose myself and recover from the most horrible panic attacks I’ve ever suffered, then it was about 30 miles home in messy pants.

Ouch, that is rough. I'm really sorry to hear about that experience, that could not have been easy. My incontinence is getting worse and I had a wet public accident today which I was very, very not prepared for. Luckily it was in a grocery store near my place and my padding didn't leak. I would definitely suggest talking to your doctor and perhaps a therapist about the emotional side effects of being incontinent. I'm already on meds for panic attacks for other reasons, and Prazosin has worked wonders for me. It's used to stop nightmares, but I find it calms me down a lot in general as well.

I had panic attacks when I was in my early 50s because of job related stress. My doctor didn't prescribe anything, but until someone has experienced extreme panic attacks, they have no idea how debilitating they can be. I got rid of mine by changing jobs. It was difficult, but I got through it. I will say that one of my attacks was so bad, my wife called the EMT/911 because we both thought I was having a heart attack. I hope life gets easier for you and you can leave the attacks in the past like I did.

I've never been in that bad of a situation, but I think being in a diaper can easily lead to panic attacks. So many things can create an embarrassing situation. As for me, I take lorazepam.

Yes it's embarrassing. In time you adjust.

toejamer said:
Does your doctor prescribe meds for panic attack and coping with accidents in public? I was in a restaurant and had an unexpected very messy accident. All I could think of was getting outside and away from all those people trying to eat their meal. I had multiple panic attacks which made the mess even worse and I know I must have appeared to be a total drunken mess to others. I had to spend several minuets trying to recompose myself and recover from the most horrible panic attacks I’ve ever suffered, then it was about 30 miles home in messy pants.

The best way to deal with the anxiety is to go about what you are doing until you can change, if you have the option to change immediately then take it, not to get worked up by it as it will only make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back