Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ISPs allowed to sell your browsing and app usage data?

Eeeek... By mail...?! XD I didn't even think of that. I doubt that though. But... Really... What's stopping them?

I don't like the idea of diaper ads showing up constantly on my family's devices. They'll figure it out soon enough. They're not tech experts, but they know a little about technology and are informed about politics.
    Although.... It's not like they've never known. It's just not a topic that's come up in years. And I know I'm probably worrying way too much, but I still really do not like this.

I also imagine other people somehow losing their jobs when people buy their browsing history one way or another.
    I see some bad, unintended consequences of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    Eeeek... By mail...?! XD I didn't even think of that. I doubt that though. But... Really... What's stopping them?

I don't like the idea of diaper ads showing up constantly on my family's devices. They'll figure it out soon enough. They're not tech experts, but they know a little about technology and are informed about politics.
    Although.... It's not like they've never known. It's just not a topic that's come up in years. And I know I'm probably worrying way too much, but I still really do not like this.

I also imagine other people somehow losing their jobs when people buy their browsing history one way or another.
    I see some bad, unintended consequences of this.
    I'm sure this will get struck down by at least a few state courts. Then it will have to go to the supreme court.

Don't forget, Obama changed internet access to be a "utility", which is correct since many many people now actually do require an internet connection and can't simply not use it. Since they can't opt out now either, it is a clear violation of their privacy.

LOL. One of the few advantages of being old. Nobody would think twice about ads for diapers, penis pills, funeral homes, "senior cell phones, Buicks, etc. showing up on my devices or in my mailbox. Just my age guarantees that, regardless of my surfing habits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    I'm sure this will get struck down by at least a few state courts. Then it will have to go to the supreme court.

Don't forget, Obama changed internet access to be a "utility", which is correct since many many people now actually do require an internet connection and can't simply not use it. Since they can't opt out now either, it is a clear violation of their privacy.
    Correct on all counts. It is a utility. While I hope you're right about the courts, I'm not so sure what sort of protection utility status does or would provide under the fourth amendment. It's absurd the amount of targeted advertising I get based on my customer status with other utilities.

Edit: Having thought on it a bit more, I don't object on privacy grounds, but on the de-facto monopoly status ISP's have. If you're a utility, then you shouldn't be allowed to abuse that status for fun and profit. If you want to sell data and make money however you can, then you should lose the protection from competition.
    Last edited by Maxx; 20 Hours Ago at 19:59.

Great.... so the house passed it, of course. This is absolutely ridiculous.
    I can't wait til others in my family start getting diaper ads and stuff

They won't care which computer/device gets the ads. They'll just see the IP address.

VPNs aren't free... except maybe a few... plus I'd need it to work for my phone and ipad too.
    TOR is just super slow, isnt it?
    I haven't totally figured out proxies... every one I've tried in the past was really, really slow.

I'm surprised more people aren't worried about this. I'm freaking out about it slightly, but trying not to.

Maybe Comcast won't do this? Is there any chance of that, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepies View Post
    Hopefully your family doesn't understand the targeted advertising.
    (same with a lot of us who secretly enjoy this fetish)

I really doubt they'll send you ads for diapers by mail, but if they do, I'm going to be pissed. No pun intended.
    OK, I'm a little confused here. Looking at diaper content on my own laptop may cause my parents' devices to get advertisements for them?

I highly doubt they'd catch on to a diaper ad here or there, but the thought is unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaWolfNagihiko View Post
    OK, I'm a little confused here. Looking at diaper content on my own laptop may cause my parents' devices to get advertisements for them?

I highly doubt they'd catch on to a diaper ad here or there, but the thought is unsettling.
    Yep, they likely won't differentiate between devices. I'm pretty sure they'd see the IP address of the customer and the IP address of the website.
    I guess it depends on the frequency of the targeted ads. And whether they specify that it's a targeted ad or not....
    "You may be interested in this because of your browsing history..."

Great.... so the house passed it, of course. This is absolutely ridiculous.
    I can't wait til others in my family start getting diaper ads and stuff

They won't care which computer/device gets the ads. They'll just see the IP address.

VPNs aren't free... except maybe a few... plus I'd need it to work for my phone and ipad too.
    TOR is just super slow, isnt it?
    I haven't totally figured out proxies... every one I've tried in the past was really, really slow.

I'm surprised more people aren't worried about this. I'm freaking out about it slightly, but trying not to.

Maybe Comcast won't do this? Is there any chance of that, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepies View Post
    Hopefully your family doesn't understand the targeted advertising.
    (same with a lot of us who secretly enjoy this fetish)

I really doubt they'll send you ads for diapers by mail, but if they do, I'm going to be pissed. No pun intended.

Yep, they likely won't differentiate between devices. I'm pretty sure they'd see the IP address of the customer and the IP address of the website.
    I guess it depends on the frequency of the targeted ads. And whether they specify that it's a targeted ad or not....
    "You may be interested in this because of your browsing history..."
    I think the only ads that really mention stuff about browsing history are the ones like on Amazon, so I don't think other people would get those unless they were using your account. I think, anyway. Things could change I suppose.