know energy drinks are bad, is it okay to have one once a day or every other day? I'm not caffeine sensitive and I limit it as best I can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coffee and energy drinks are nowhere near the same. Energy drinks almost always have multiple times the caffeine as in coffee. Plus you typically drink it faster, so all that caffeine hits your system much faster and much much harder. Then of course there's the kther chemicals in energy drinks. God knows what that's doing to the body in the long term.

Premetheus said:
See, I never suffer ill affects unless it's a regular Monster or a Red Bull. It's quite odd; if you ask me they have something they aren't listing in it.

I know that the FDA does not require a full list of ingredients in the U.S. If the ingredients are below a certain percentage, they are not required to list them.

the best examples I can give of this, would either be Canada dry ginger ale, ((made with REAL ginger)) which does NOT list ginger on their ingredients, OR

most non local bottles of honey you buy at say walmart, even though they say "100% pure honey" they actually frequently have high fructose corn syrup or an equiv in them as well.

Slomo said:
Coffee and energy drinks are nowhere near the same. Energy drinks almost always have multiple times the caffeine as in coffee. Plus you typically drink it faster, so all that caffeine hits your system much faster and much much harder. Then of course there's the kther chemicals in energy drinks. God knows what that's doing to the body in the long term.
I actually sip my energy drinks or mix them with soda. Sometimes I might even cut it with water so it's exactly not, a caffeine rush. I have taken note they aren't good over all and have cut back quite a bit. I will more than likely start drinking coffee again. With that, I'll probably need teeth whitener.

- - - Updated - - -

MommyandMattling said:
I know that the FDA does not require a full list of ingredients in the U.S. If the ingredients are below a certain percentage, they are not required to list them.

the best examples I can give of this, would either be Canada dry ginger ale, ((made with REAL ginger)) which does NOT list ginger on their ingredients, OR

most non local bottles of honey you buy at say walmart, even though they say "100% pure honey" they actually frequently have high fructose corn syrup or an equiv in them as well.
That's what I was thinking, someone once told me that ham had a small percentage of earth worms but was listed as a complex name. Not sure if it had any merit.

If you drink, coffee drink it decaffeinated and "bullet Proof" by adding some coconut oil and a small Pat of butter this actually makes it good for you,

As far as pop the facts dont lie , as little as one can of cola a day , when you are young leads to heart problems when you are older , congestive heart failure from pop drinking is an almost certain consequence, we won't even get started on with if you add a cigarette to your pop or coffee .

Energy drinks are pure poison, they kill people who drink them everyday, they are also pretty damn expensive, in my state they took the unprecedented step of making them a banned item for purchase by anyone who recieves any kind of public assistance benefit , they found a direct correlation between people purchasing energy drinks with public assistance , and hospital admissions , as well as malnutrition , obviously if people buy a lot of energy drinks they don't have money for real food , just the substances that are listed on the label that can have toxic effects are mind blowing, let alone all the secret stuff that is not revealed . Energy drinks are much like the OTC medicinal isle at the store anything labeled as a nutritional supplements is not regulated in any way by the FDA and very few of the products there have any real validated scientific evidence that they have any positive effect on health , these real expensive vitamin supplements people buy are not proven to prevent of protect against anything and most vitamins that are excess to your bodies need are just excreted in your urine , there are maybe 6 vitamins that can cause death in overdose , and those are ones that are tightly controlled .

An easy way to answer the question of "is this supplement good for me" is to think that drug companies "big pharma" is constantly searching for the next big thing for them to make money off of , if it's in that isle it generally means that all the high paid scientists at "big pharma" could not find any evidence that it does anything positive to your health ( if it did it wouldn't be in that isle, they would have a patent on it and be robbing you blind for access to it) there are things that actually help people mixed in there that was found to be so benign that prescription control of it was a waste , and it's now an expensive OTC product , one product to watch is what are called "PPI's" Proton Pump inhibitors for "reflux and indigestion , they were thought to be harmless and benign , however long term use evidence now shows they are far far from benign , long term use leads to kidney failure among other things, you have two kidneys , you can live with one unless you have something Co morbid like hypertension or diabetes or obesity , then you are generally a dead man walking, prolonging your life with dialysis ,
Any way this started on energy drinks, avoid them if you can because you are trading a little more energy now for a few years less life later , no test is so important to score well on , and there is no job more important then your life .
Don't make the trade , it's a bad idea, people work there whole life to get the golden years of retiring in financial security and doing thing you enjoy , unless of course you drop dead at work trying to get to that point because your drinking energy drinks ? In the fire service we have had a lot of guys die "with there boots on" ( slang for on the job) because they drank a couple of energy drinks before a bad fire came in an the combination killed them , heavy excertion powered by energy drinks leads to cardiac arrest just so you know . Unfortunately we as people deny the actions we take now as a cause of death later, because it's much easier to live in denial then to take care of yourself , with good food, clean living, and rest as needed , especially if your in a high intensity job , just remember employers really don't care any more about important employees who always do there best and go all in , simply because much like the things we buy are disposable, that's what a lot of companies feel about there employees , if you die , there's always someone in line for your job.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

My two cents are simple. They banned energy drinks when I was deployed overseas. I saw military men go down as heat casualties because they weren't hydrating. Just pounding energy drinks. This is obviously environmentally, physically, and consumptive extremes.

That said, I don't drink them but that is because I stay away from sugar, as best that I can.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Premetheus said:
That's what I was thinking, someone once told me that ham had a small percentage of earth worms but was listed as a complex name. Not sure if it had any merit.

Actually most food manufacturers are allowed a certain number of "critters" and even rat parts to be mixed in with their food. Not on purpose though, it's just what's crawling around in their factories, and oops. I wouldn't be too worried about ham though. After touring a behind the scenes hot dog factory for a renovation project I'll never eat another one again. Seriously, did you know they take in expired "meat" and put it on a floor before sterilising and adding it back into the new mix? Yeah..... And that's just the tip of the berg too......

Some of the hot dogs on the market make the 7000 killer chemicals in cigarettes look like winning the lottery , it's amazing and unreal what we stuff in our faces without wondering what went into it ? Most people here won't remember years ago the rumors about salt Peter, but it was everything from making you impotent to schizophrenia, but in this day with the Internet people should not believe BS rumors , without looking it up ,unfortunately many people don't.

Tetra said:
If you drink, coffee drink it decaffeinated and "bullet Proof" by adding some coconut oil and a small Pat of butter this actually makes it good for you,

As far as pop the facts dont lie , as little as one can of cola a day , when you are young leads to heart problems when you are older , congestive heart failure from pop drinking is an almost certain consequence, we won't even get started on with if you add a cigarette to your pop or coffee .

Energy drinks are pure poison, they kill people who drink them everyday, they are also pretty damn expensive, in my state they took the unprecedented step of making them a banned item for purchase by anyone who recieves any kind of public assistance benefit , they found a direct correlation between people purchasing energy drinks with public assistance , and hospital admissions , as well as malnutrition , obviously if people buy a lot of energy drinks they don't have money for real food , just the substances that are listed on the label that can have toxic effects are mind blowing, let alone all the secret stuff that is not revealed . Energy drinks are much like the OTC medicinal isle at the store anything labeled as a nutritional supplements is not regulated in any way by the FDA and very few of the products there have any real validated scientific evidence that they have any positive effect on health , these real expensive vitamin supplements people buy are not proven to prevent of protect against anything and most vitamins that are excess to your bodies need are just excreted in your urine , there are maybe 6 vitamins that can cause death in overdose , and those are ones that are tightly controlled .

An easy way to answer the question of "is this supplement good for me" is to think that drug companies "big pharma" is constantly searching for the next big thing for them to make money off of , if it's in that isle it generally means that all the high paid scientists at "big pharma" could not find any evidence that it does anything positive to your health ( if it did it wouldn't be in that isle, they would have a patent on it and be robbing you blind for access to it) there are things that actually help people mixed in there that was found to be so benign that prescription control of it was a waste , and it's now an expensive OTC product , one product to watch is what are called "PPI's" Proton Pump inhibitors for "reflux and indigestion , they were thought to be harmless and benign , however long term use evidence now shows they are far far from benign , long term use leads to kidney failure among other things, you have two kidneys , you can live with one unless you have something Co morbid like hypertension or diabetes or obesity , then you are generally a dead man walking, prolonging your life with dialysis ,
Any way this started on energy drinks, avoid them if you can because you are trading a little more energy now for a few years less life later , no test is so important to score well on , and there is no job more important then your life .
Don't make the trade , it's a bad idea, people work there whole life to get the golden years of retiring in financial security and doing thing you enjoy , unless of course you drop dead at work trying to get to that point because your drinking energy drinks ? In the fire service we have had a lot of guys die "with there boots on" ( slang for on the job) because they drank a couple of energy drinks before a bad fire came in an the combination killed them , heavy excertion powered by energy drinks leads to cardiac arrest just so you know . Unfortunately we as people deny the actions we take now as a cause of death later, because it's much easier to live in denial then to take care of yourself , with good food, clean living, and rest as needed , especially if your in a high intensity job , just remember employers really don't care any more about important employees who always do there best and go all in , simply because much like the things we buy are disposable, that's what a lot of companies feel about there employees , if you die , there's always someone in line for your job.

It seems you did some research here. I first want to say thank you for taking the time to make this comment, second I want to say one thing about "Energy drinks are pure poison" they're not all bad. Some have been made to be healthier and less harmful on the heart. As to the expensive part? I can get 2 for $2 or 2 for $1.98 depending on brand. Red Bull is always expensive but I hate the effect of it so I stay away from that kind. One can of cola? My grandpa drank diet coke until he was 73 and died of unrelated causes, I think that might just depend on the person. It also might just increase risk and not actually cause too much harm. Those were my only points of contention, now to the agreeing part of my response.

"Big pharma" is always on the hunt for more profit and I despise them greatly. We need them, but dang if they aren't greedy. It would not shock me if there was a cure for cancer but it wasn't profitable enough. If there isn't that would be more sad I think. By trade did you mean energy for later effects or switching to coffee? Because coffee is okay, so I assume you mean the former. Lol the last line... "If you die there's always someone in line for your job" a bit morbid, but makes sense. Again, thank you for taking the time to respond with such a lengthy message I appreciate it greatly.

- - - Updated - - -

Addy said:
My two cents are simple. They banned energy drinks when I was deployed overseas. I saw military men go down as heat casualties because they weren't hydrating. Just pounding energy drinks. This is obviously environmentally, physically, and consumptive extremes.

That said, I don't drink them but that is because I stay away from sugar, as best that I can.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Ah, a bit of bias because you avoid them anyway! ;p Lol, no it's fine your opinion is still valid. If you hydrate AND have energy drinks I've found it's less harmful. I also drink them slowly, I can't 'pound' one. Sometimes I'll even add water to it. I know they are bad overall, I do. I think I might be addicted so I'm going to try to switch to coffee and hopefully that will see benefits.

- - - Updated - - -

Slomo said:
Actually most food manufacturers are allowed a certain number of "critters" and even rat parts to be mixed in with their food. Not on purpose though, it's just what's crawling around in their factories, and oops. I wouldn't be too worried about ham though. After touring a behind the scenes hot dog factory for a renovation project I'll never eat another one again. Seriously, did you know they take in expired "meat" and put it on a floor before sterilising and adding it back into the new mix? Yeah..... And that's just the tip of the berg too......
I don't get disgusted easily. As long as I don't die, I don't care what goes into my food. I know exactly how a lot of things are made and I still consume them. Is it bad I now want a hotdog? I really do. Not to mess with you, I honestly want one. As for the expired meat, that is gross, but the new meat doesn't taste like it so I don't complain.

- - - Updated - - -

Tetra said:
Some of the hot dogs on the market make the 7000 killer chemicals in cigarettes look like winning the lottery , it's amazing and unreal what we stuff in our faces without wondering what went into it ? Most people here won't remember years ago the rumors about salt Peter, but it was everything from making you impotent to schizophrenia, but in this day with the Internet people should not believe BS rumors , without looking it up ,unfortunately many people don't.

As I mentioned in another reply, if it doesn't kill me I don't mind. I haven't had a hotdog in awhile but I think that might be hyperbole to say cigarettes would be winning the lottery by comparison. My grandma has eaten them her whole life and she's 86 still mostly healthy. I will worry about this stuff in maybe a few years of the near future, but for now I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back