Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Global warming

Default Global warming

This thread has been split off from http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic...rticipate.html so if there is a post missing or something seems strange that may be the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyWolf View Post
    as a big "Screw you!" to the lie that is global warming.
    Um.. hasn't global warming been pretty much proven?
    Last edited by Martin; 03-Apr-2009 at 22:53. Reason: Mod note

Why does everyone think it's about global warming? I have seen so many post on blogs Where people talk about lowering electricity cost and people reply with 'F global warming'. So much electricity gets wasted with stuff left on / plugged in. That electricity = money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy Cullen View Post
    Why does everyone think it's about global warming? I have seen so many post on blogs Where people talk about lowering electricity cost and people reply with 'F global warming'. So much electricity gets wasted with stuff left on / plugged in. That electricity = money.
    I think global warming is real. It should be taken seriously, but I haven't really read up on it much, so I don't know the specifics of what scientists are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Wegs View Post
    I think global warming is real. It should be taken seriously, but I haven't really read up on it much, so I don't know the specifics of what scientists are saying.
    Real or not I think the Earth is not something we should take for granted and cleaning it up a bit is nice.

Mesmerale

Too many quotes to do.. So I'll just say it here.

Helping to fix global warming isn't for the earth.
    Neither is saving electricity.

Believe or not, guys, the earth will be fine.

It survived the last few million years and, short of a nuclear explosion, it'll survive whatever shit we can dish out.

Doing all this stuff is for us, because if global warming gets so messed up that we all die, the earth will fix itself over the next thousand years, and it'll be like we never existed.

The scientists say that we might damage the earth 'beyond repair' as a scare tactic to really get people to do it. The reality is that it's all about saving us. The earth will get through it with, or without, us there in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy Cullen View Post
    Real or not I think the Earth is not something we should take for granted and cleaning it up a bit is nice.
    Agreed 100%

For me, my actions had nothing to do with Global Warming or Climate Change (or whatever its new name is) or even contrarianism.

Rather, I don't want a new "price point" to be established for energy consumption. I am very responsible and rational with my energy consumption. I don't want to cut anything, because I really don't have anything left to cut. So I took a utilitarian view of the situation and acted accordingly.

(Well, okay, maybe some of it was being a contrarian.)

BabyWolf

Nope. It's a lie, actually. What HAS been proven is that the earth goes through hot and cold cycles. And that it warms up a bit right before it dives into an ice age. All the evidence actually suggests we're heading towards an ice age.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyWolf View Post
    Nope. It's a lie, actually. What HAS been proven is that the earth goes through hot and cold cycles. And that it warms up a bit right before it dives into an ice age. All the evidence actually suggests we're heading towards an ice age.
    Ala 1970s warnings of global cooling.

My own take is that, from the geological record, we are in a really rare "stable" period with respect to temperature. Now, I'm all for not crapping all over the earth if we can help it, but I posit that the planet was not created for us. Hence, at some point in time, the planet will bump out of this stable period and we'll all die out (or adapt).

In other words, we should do what we may, but the railings of one (man or species) against the universe do not ultimately go very far.

*shrug*

What I do know, however, is that there's a ton of money and tasty, tasty equipment to be had from studying "climate change".

No it has not, there is no conclusive evidence to show that man has caused it, but there is conclusive evidence to show that is not, all that keeps coming up is the CO2 theory. Note the use of the word ''theory''. And as a big ''fuck off' to greenpeace and other eco beards I made sure that every appliance and light was on (I even turned the oven and hob on full blast ) If anyone does wish to see my conclusive report, please PM me.