Traveling and diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

miapeters

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hello everyone, been a while since I started a thread.
So I've been thinking about travel, not extensive Travel but say I stay somewhere for a few weeks. Now I usually use around 4 maybe 5 confidry's a day depending on how my bowels are acting up. Taking so many packs of diapers isn't really very practical so I was wondering whether anyone can recommend any common diapers you can find in medical supply stores or anywhere else. They don't need to be dry 24/7 quality but I should be able to at least survive off of them for some time. I mainly worry about my bowel accidents and containment is like the most important thing. I do wet a lot too but as long as it doesn't leak it'll be fine, I can change if they aren't super absorbent so I'm just wondering if there is any store diaper I could just use. They don't need to be as good and absorbent as dry 24/7 but just need to do its job and contain/absorb properly.

Depending on where you're travelling to, it should be possible to order as many diapers as you need from whichever is the best supplier in the area. To my knowledge, North America, Europe and Australia are well served in that regard. If you're staying within U.S. borders, you could possibly have your diapers shipped to the location you're going to be at by your usual supplier. It may be a little trickier if you're planning on staying in some more exotic place.

Let's say in this hypothetical situation your not able to order. I know you can order to most places and that's what I've done. I'm just curious.,.,.....

Hey now, best advise, at least if you have a planned itinerary, is to order ahead and have them waiting for you upon arrival. I've done that many times with no problems. Traveling is never easy and gets more complicatd with ic issues. I would bring what is reasonable to carry with you in your luggage. If having a pre-ordered shipment waiting for you isn't possible, then I would check online about the area you will be in and see whats available. Sounds to me like a spring breaker. Have fun!

If you can't pack enough 24/7s to last your vacation and if it is also impractical to order a delivery to your aunt's house, medical supply stores will always have something you can use. Pharmacies might not, but as long as there is an actual medical supply store in the area (and there usually will be) you should be able to find something that will fill the bill. When I was in LA, I discovered that the diapers I'd packed––which I had not worn for a long time because I've been hoarding them, aa the manufacturer discontinued them––were chafing me in the heat. I needed something else, something that sat differently on me. So I found a medical supply store and ended up with a bag of Tena Ultras. They were not the best diapers I've ever used but they did the job. Some stores might carry Abenas or other brands. I've even seen some with AB products, believe it or not. Bottom line: if you're not too picky about what diaper you use while traveling, you should be able to find something. You might want to check it out online before you go. :)

When traveling, I have found a wide variety in availability of diapers. Each location required me to search and find something that would work. There is not a single brand available everywhere suitable for heavy incontinence. Tena, molocare, abena, and tranquility are top choices. Other brands are lower quality.

I assume you travel by air mostly. If this is the case you can always bring an extra bag of just diapers. The airlines will check any medical bag for free, sosoong as it doesn't contain other non-medical items as well. Of course, you still be stuck lugging that bag around.

miapeters said:
Let's say in this hypothetical situation your not able to order. I know you can order to most places and that's what I've done. I'm just curious.,.,.....

In most modern countries you could just go to a supermarket or a pharmacy and they will have some sort of incontinence products in stock, here for instance you can expect to find diapers more or less the same quality of what incontinent people get from the national healthcare system, so while they are usable, they will also require way more frequent changes than the top notch diapers you're used to. The biggest issue is that probably with you they wouldn't make it overnight, unless you doubled or even tripled them up.

quattrus said:
In most modern countries you could just go to a supermarket or a pharmacy and they will have some sort of incontinence products in stock, here for instance you can expect to find diapers more or less the same quality of what incontinent people get from the national healthcare system, so while they are usable, they will also require way more frequent changes than the top notch diapers you're used to. The biggest issue is that probably with you they wouldn't make it overnight, unless you doubled or even tripled them up.
That's true about night time, I've thought about that age should probably use the dry 24/7 for every night if that situation arises, but as you said I could always order in advance to the place I go to

As you probably know when flying within the US as long as it only contains medical products diapers, insulin , bi pap , bed pads kind of thing it flies free no luggage charge as do our wheelchairs, though they had to pass a law making the airlines responsible for damage ,because you go away on vacation and they break your $30,000 chair and refuse to fix it , so much for your vacation ! Also there is ship ahead from your supplier, most hotels and such will recieve and hold a package for two weeks pending your arrival , a little trick I learned is having half a case sent to where I am staying on the half way point and the end point , so you can always reload and get to your next destination if it's not back home , with friends and road trips I have prepared stashes at there houses that are always there if I need them , all of a sudden or if I am going to need a bailout for an emergency nearby them , so I have cases of diapers stashed with friends from Denver CO to upstate NY, when you need a hail Mary who cares where it comes from . most of these are just caches of prepared stuff with no current need ( learned to do this from days with Civil Defense ) so if I ever need its already there. You can also do the "phone" a friend thing by asking if any of us live near where you may be going and can turn you on to local places to get diapers to refill your supply .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back