Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book suggestions

Default Book suggestions

So, my birthday's coming up and I had no idea what to ask people for. Then I decided that books are always a good idea. I'm getting Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass since I've heard it's a good read and Tim Burton is currently working on a new movie adaption.

The question that remains is what other books I should ask for. I'd like to read up on some classics, but many of them are so terribly boring. For instance, reading Frederick Marryat's The Flying Dutchman nearly put me to sleep. So, anybody got any good suggestions? It doesn't have to be an acclaimed classic. I'd like read something dashed with a bit of surrealism or dream-esque settings, but preferably no sci-fi since I've been reading a lot of that lately.

I just finished reading Maus by Art Spegielman, and I have to say, it was a very entertaining read. It was about the Holocaust and the concentration camps and also the relationship between a man and his father (who is the main character in the story). It is a graphic novel (something that turned me off at first), but when I asked around, everyone said it was pretty good. It won the Pulitzer Prize Special Award in 1992 as well, so no harm in picking it up. And I have to say, it was a very good book. A quick, easy read that was quite interesting too : )

Butterfly Mage

If Lewis Carrol is your thing, you might like the Redwall series (I forget the author's name, but it's got a dozen books in it and features a warrior-mouse named Martin.) I read about five of them and liked them.

How about "Netosjkas Childhood" by Doestoevsky? It deals with basic humanity and some of Freud's Theories.

Just curious. Have you read Harry Potter?