Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Paying more attention to the poster, than the post.

  1. #1

    Default Paying more attention to the poster, than the post.

    I was just wondering if anyone (else) does this? Either to an extreme, or on a smaller scale?

    Like, there are obviously times you will take into consideration who is posting, like determining whether something is a joke or not, or something.

    But I've seen two topics, one was closed, and the other was a pretty well received, and went on for a few pages... but they were about the exact same thing. One person was a newer member, the other was a VIP, so I'm lead to believe that the only reason one was well received was because it was a VIP posting it.

    There are times where I will read a message because I know who posted it, or I like that person.... or two posts are basically the same, and I will pay more attention to the person I like betters post than the other.

    So yeah, does anyone else find themselves doing this? And do you think it's a bad/good thing?

  2. #2

    Default

    There are times that I will go to a thead and just skim thought and try to find out of a certian person posted.

  3. #3

    Default

    Well, I think its just because Newbies have just started out here and they don't really have the foundation of trust with the community as regulars and VIPs do. But you have a point, some people post about the same thing and its a serious topic but only the one from the higher ranked person is taken seriously. But think of it this way. If a 5 year old is trying to get a story across, then, after, a 20 year old was trying to get the same story across, initially, I don't think most people would lean toward the five year old. That's sort of the way I see it.

  4. #4

    Default

    I do pay attention to who posted the thread. If it's a newbie, I'll pay less attention than if it's a Regular, VIP, or Mod. (Unless it's in Greetings Forum)

    Of course, if it's a problem, I won't care who's posting it. If it's silly, I won't care, but I might get a better laugh if it's from a reg/VIP.

    --The Silent Assassin--

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAwesome View Post
    Well, I think its just because Newbies have just started out here and they don't really have the foundation of trust with the community as regulars and VIPs do. But you have a point, some people post about the same thing and its a serious topic but only the one from the higher ranked person is taken seriously. But think of it this way. If a 5 year old is trying to get a story across, then, after, a 20 year old was trying to get the same story across, initially, I don't think most people would lean toward the five year old. That's sort of the way I see it.
    I think AlexAwsome pretty much hit the nail on the head.

  6. #6

    Default

    I assume your talking about location type topics or where someone wants to meet anyone.

    Anyways you are right and I of course do that. I have no idea what new people came here for but a person that has posted for like 3 months or more I can see how people will trust them more.

    I also tend to view people as liberal or conservative such as Fallen and whatever name Candyman is going by now. That also affects how I look at a person's post. I also assume the same thing happens to me all the time.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I assume your talking about location type topics or where someone wants to meet anyone.

    Anyways you are right and I of course do that. I have no idea what new people came here for but a person that has posted for like 3 months or more I can see how people will trust them more.

    I also tend to view people as liberal or conservative such as Fallen and whatever name Candyman is going by now. That also affects how I look at a person's post. I also assume the same thing happens to me all the time.
    Actually, the post I had in mind was a post about a new product. One was closed, and the other went on for pages. I was actually a bit confused, since they were, in essence, the same post... but one got closed.

  8. #8

    Default

    Huh, was the newbie's post creepy, or otherwise close-worthy?


    I think I'm more likely to properly read the post of somebody I like, than somebody I don't know very well. I rarely skip posts when I'm reading a thread, but I'll pay some people more attention.

    I don't think it's a bad thing, it's just natural. It's only bad if newbies are ignored, or never taken seriously.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    Huh, was the newbie's post creepy, or otherwise close-worthy?


    I think I'm more likely to properly read the post of somebody I like, than somebody I don't know very well. I rarely skip posts when I'm reading a thread, but I'll pay some people more attention.

    I don't think it's a bad thing, it's just natural. It's only bad if newbies are ignored, or never taken seriously.
    Not at all. One post was marked "spam" and deleted, the other went on for pages. If you want specific links I have them, but that's not really relevant... just a case of paying attention to the poster more than the post in a bad way.

  10. #10

    Default



    I presented a system for fully anonymous research collaboration a few years ago at an academic conference. The goal was to kick science into developing a bit faster (increase epsilon) and to lower the "bar of entry" for newcomers to the field with high-quality research, knowledge, or ideas[1].

    The aspect of it that came under fire was the very human fact of our nature: when we are gathering information, we consider two things:
    1. The apparent validity of the information;
    2. The apparent source of the information.


    And the second item heavily influences the first.

    I myself can certainly appreciate that high-quality information, knowledge, or thinking can come from an odd source. However, I have also taken great pains and expense to give myself the leisure time necessary to read for content rather than attribution.

    And even with that, if all else is equal, I will be more convinced by a friend than an unknown entity, as I trust my friend to not pull my leg.

    [1] This is, of course, a direct answer to what Kuhn tells us about the progression of science.

Similar Threads

  1. Paying too much?
    By Honeywell6180 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2008, 11:40
  2. My Mom is paying me $35 , Should I buy UnderJams?
    By Daisuke in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 19-Aug-2008, 16:17
  3. Once a Lurker, soon to be poster... I think.
    By MaskedBandit in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2008, 16:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.