why do some people exaggerate things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
In my 19 years of life, I've come to realize that when it comes to specific things a lot of people just love to exaggerate things.

I'll give an example, with social media. Lets say there is a bush fire in Adelaide Hills very common, there will always be that one person saying, Oh I hope it doesn't cause us to evacuate our house, or I hope my house doesn't burn down, or pray for me.

Problem is, we / they are literally 20+ kilometers away from it, It's hilarious because it's no where near us. It makes me laugh all the time seeing that, than having people comment, oh hope you're ok, than posting statuses saying there worried... It's 20+ kilometers away smoke travels quite a distance.

I myself have been in situations where I've could of died literally, being 20k away from a fire isn't the same as almost being in a car accident.

That being said here are some of my "near death / escapes"

Almost choked to death on chicken 2013. (parents didn't give a shit even though I turned blue, thank goodness it dislodged itself) all I can say is it feels like your drowning somewhat, very fucking scary shit.It would of helped if my stupid mother wasn't sitting on her arse watching television thinking I'm faking dunno how when I'm turning blue dummy. Lets say they usually don't cut the fat off the meat, and that's what got stuck in my throat.

Car accident, one of my friends fathers decided to drive me to formal he was being a idiot and speeding, if there wasn't an exit lane we would of been squashed like pancakes. scary also.

Almost involved in a bus accident, I just happened to be lucky and miss the bus that was later evolved in an accident, I must say that is fucking weird.

Everyone exaggerates. No one is exempt from that, it's just part of being human. I have even caught you exaggerating more than once XD ... though I am not going to name specifics.
But it is what it is.

Actually, sometimes we exaggerate things without even realizing it. Sometimes we will have our minds make a traumatic event seem much more traumatic than it actually was at the time.

MarchinBunny said:
Everyone exaggerates. No one is exempt from that, it's just part of being human. I have even caught you exaggerating more than once XD ... though I am not going to name specifics.
But it is what it is.

Actually, sometimes we exaggerate things without even realizing it. Sometimes we will have our minds make a traumatic event seem much more traumatic than it actually was at the time.

xD I wouldn't be surprised :D but I'm no tana mongeaue when it comes to exaggeration lol. but some people go a bit over kill with it.

Generally I don't go "overkill" like some people do... (ie tana monqeaue or some of the people I know")

Ie atheists being devil worshipers, etc. or that evolution is some conspiracy from the atheists to take over religion or some shit xD.

Or the gays are taking over the world, and is a plan by satan, etc.

Yeah, I think at some level it's just human nature, but some people go a bit overkill lol.

Last edited:
Sometimes people get caught in the moment and things may get out of hand. I think the media may influence human behavior. We're deluged with incredible plots, super action of TV and movies, special effects and great acting. It's easy to get caught up in that and bring a little more attention to one's self. Some of us though, like to deflect attention away from ourselves, so you'll see both types of people.

I was almost killed in a car accident. My mom was driving and at the time it was a Geo Metro which others have described as "half a car". My mom had to be extracated using the "jaws of life." I got out on my own, but with two broken bones. Neither ever healed properly and would have to be re-broken to do so. It was a head-on collision.

I've been accused of exaggerating before... I'm not. I was driven in an Ambulance, This is just how it is. I have documentation to prove it. Sometimes, things get seriously fucked up that it seems necessary to prove that they aren't lying or exaggerating... that's life for you.

Sapphyre said:
I was almost killed in a car accident. My mom was driving and at the time it was a Geo Metro which others have described as "half a car". My mom had to be extracated using the "jaws of life." I got out on my own, but with two broken bones. Neither ever healed properly and would have to be re-broken to do so. It was a head-on collision.

I've been accused of exaggerating before... I'm not. I was driven in an Ambulance, This is just how it is. I have documentation to prove it. Sometimes, things get seriously fucked up that it seems necessary to prove that they aren't lying or exaggerating... that's life for you.

I have been too accused of exaggerating mostly my health problems, I literally have a stomach ulcer that makes it hard for me to eat etc. lost two families members in a period of a week, I'm just referring to situations where its obvious, I knew someone who claimed there house burn't down, but none of the stuff added up, and in reality I think it was more just a "small blaze" ie burn't there food and needed there kitchen fixed up. I can't recall the exact details, but the guy made out "he lost his school work on his macbook", but the fire was in the kitchen and didn't spread. three weeks later he claims that he lost his macbook just as he got a brand new one, right but get this, I did some digging it turned out he never had a macbook and was using the tablet he was telling me about a year ago.

He even had the balls to lie to a IT professional, about computers, I told him to replace his Chinese power supply as it blow up, and told him to get an I3 and a GPU for gaming, you know what he does, he doesn't take my advice at all, and tells me he put OSX on it, yet he has a AMD processor that is too new and won't work with a hackintosh in the first place. I was the only one who could see though it, I remember him telling stories how his dad hacked the FBI and made out that he saw a FBI login screen, god guy watches too much movies.

How does a person who can't even install a browser, know hot to install OSX on non intel hardware, a day after I mentioned to him I had one, than when I told him eh, that's not possible, he said oh my mistake it's intel, yeah got you... caught yah in the act no body makes a mistake like that all you have to do is open system properties in windows and it'll tell you your processor.

Even made out the damages where $800,000 when the house is worth $100,000 was hilarious, the guy was such a fibber. He is the type of person who would find five cents on the ground, and make out he found a million dollars laying in a bag.

Oh, and after tons of research, there was no fire -.- he just burnt some food, xD i found that out a couple months after. was funny as hell.

To this day, I don't get how he lies so much, and no one can see through it, really does my head in, I'm guessing there is some emotional manipulation that I can see, but no body else can.

He blocked me on facebook, but I really wonder what his parents do for a living, I'm guessing politics.

Even with my hearing problems (mild hearing loss) I ask people to repeat themselves a couple times because my ear doesn't "pick up" everything, they call me rude, I tell them I have hearing loss, there like no you don't you don't have a hearing aid.. eh I've got the medical records to prove I do lol.

Best way I can explain it, is you can make sense of some of the words and not others, so it'll seem a bit like this.

The quick ..something I can't under.. fox ... jump......

side effect is I seem to talk louder than what people normally would unintentionally. Than again I think it's been getting worse, so It may even be moderate hearing loss. Haven't had my ears tested for a long time.

Ah, sorry for my life stories lol.

Last edited:
Depression makes you exaggerate, fear, and anxiety and feelings.

In the local media here, they reported a riot during the Trump protesting back in November and my mom was saying that was no riot. No one was burning down buildings. Just stupid teens busting windows and doing graffiti and destroying these new cars in a car dealer parking lot. My mom said that was not a riot, just vandalism. I guess that would be an example of them exaggerating. Another reason why people might exaggerate is because they don't realize how worse it could be and how much bad someone has had it or how bad it has gotten so they have no way of judging how bad something is. My school exaggerated my problems in school by trying to say I had a behavior problem. Clearly they have never had a student with behavior problems or otherwise they wouldn't have labeled me as such. If you have never experienced something, you are going to exaggerate because you think it's so bad because you have never seen worse. Yes I had behavior but I have heard far worse stories about kids with behavior and it's much greater than mine but they acted like I was causing problems and being a trouble maker and causing problems for everyone. I wasn't keeping the teacher from teaching or keeping other students from learning. I wasn't tossing furniture or stabbing other kids with pencils or destroying property. I wasn't kicking teachers and none of the kids feared me or felt unsafe. They had exaggerated by acting like I was so much trouble in school.

It human nature to exaggerate. It makes our situations seem more relevant or serious to others and gets us more attention. And a lot of people crave attention.

where would comedy be without exaggerations?

MarchinBunny said:
I 100% agree with this! Ive even caught myself doing it and thought to myself how i exaggerated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back