Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Song Lyrics

Default Stupid Song Lyrics

Now I'm trying not to be a curmudgeon as I grow older. And I try to make it a point to listen to current trends in pop music (yes, I like pop). I really want to avoid being the adult that tells his kids "How can you listen to that crap?" But, some recent songs that have come by in the last year or so have really rubbed me badly. I mean, the lyrics just suck. I'm not talking about nonsense song lyrics like They Might Be Giants either.

The first object of my ire is the Taylor Swift song "Love Story". I mean come on it's obvious the song writer didn't even try to read the Cliff Notes (let alone the stories) referenced in the song. A happy ending to Romeo and Juliette misses the entire point of the story. She can be his Scarlet Letter? WTF? The Scarlet Letter was about an adulteress in love with a priest! It seems like the songwriter was trying to make the song seem heavy with literary references, but jeez.

The second song would be Pink's "I'm Gonna Start a Fight". No offense to Pink (I like some of her songs) but fighting is just not cool, no matter how angry you are. And to say it's all OK because you are famous? Huh? Maybe this just goes over my head.

Next up is Carrie Underwood. How vapid can you be? When I listen to "Before He Cheats" (or whatever the title is), my only thought is "Looks like the guy made a really good decision leaving you, you frickin' psychotic bimbo, GOOD RIDDANCE!" And no, it's not an empowering song, it's petty and vindictive. And "Jesus Take the Wheel" is pretty stupid. I could have let it slide that she didn't mean "Take the Wheel" literally; but the video plainly shows the woman, in the car, spinning out of control, with her hands in mid-air. What if the pilot who landed the plane in the Hudson had done this, instead of keeping his head and dealing with the emergency!

I have some others that I aren't popping into my head right now (it's the senility, I know).

So tell me, are there any songs out there that rub you this way with lyrics that miss any point in reality? It can be from any time period, I'm an equal opportunity basher, just limit it to pop music.

Am I becoming a curmudgeon?

Despite being from my favorite band, Human has the crappest lyrics ever. "Are we human or are we dancer?" I mean wtf?. I saw one blog some it up well "Last I checked dancers were human".

Well, the lyric is really cool, but the title of the song is pritty stupid.

"Come lock the door don't let me in
    I am the one, your destiny"

Blind Guardian - Time what is time (told you it was a stupid song title)

Back in the 70's I loathed Bobby Goldsborough. Both of his songs, "Honey", and "Wildfire" are throwupable!

Well all stupid song lyrics that I know of can be put into one word -- rap.

"niggasyo poppin on mah grillz and fuckin dees couches on dem hoes"

yeah, because that sounds REALLY intellectual.

Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post
    Well all stupid song lyrics that I know of can be put into one word -- rap.

"niggasyo poppin on mah grillz and fuckin dees couches on dem hoes"

yeah, because that sounds REALLY intellectual.
    I beg to differ on this one. Not all rap is like that. But I can understand you don't like it. It took me an effort to gain some appreciation of it. I must say I hated Eminem until I actually listened to all of his stuff.

Oh yeah, another song that makes no sense to me is a Pink song "You and Your Hand Tonight". This one bugs me in that she claims she dresses sexy, the nightclub lets her into the club because she's attractive, and then she whines because lots of guys hit on her. And she's not talking about creeps stalking her, but drunken guys who hit on her. I have two words for you, if you want to dance and don't want guys checking you out and hitting on you while you're doing it, STAY HOME. She's just an attention whore and gets off by treating the guys like crap. It's not their fault you're there.
    Last edited by Skeeter; 02-Apr-2009 at 20:16. Reason: Added to my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    I beg to differ on this one. Not all rap is like that. But I can understand you don't like it. It took me an effort to gain some appreciation of it. I must say I hated Eminem until I actually listened to all of his stuff.
    The majority of the popular rap is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post

Though the cover version of "Bitches Ain't Shit" from Ben Folds is pretty funny. (It so needs to be dubbed into over the hedge)

Fatboy Slim - Funk Soul Brotha

Right About Now

The Funk Soul Brother, Check It Out Now

The Funk Soul Brother, Right About Now

'bout now

'bout now

'bout now

Right About Now

The Funk Soul Brother

Right About Now

The Funk Soul Brother

Right About Now

Right About Now

'bout now

'bout now

'bout now

'bout now

'bout now

'bout now

'bout now

Right About Now

The Funk Soul Brother, Right...About...Now

Funk Soul Brother, Right About Now

The Funk Soul Brother
    ect...

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Thats called gangsta rap, try listen to Immortal Technique,CunninLynguists or even Kanye West. They sing nothing like Move bitch get outa my way or how they are in da club

I used to be really close minded and thought just like you, but then I listened and heard that its all not bad. sure there are some bad rappers just like in any type of music genre but saying that they all sound the same is like saying that all people singing country sounds like Johhny cash or all punk bands sounds like Ramones, just as stupid. You understand?