Kids wearing for longer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno every kid I know has been out of diapers during the day at least, by 3. I was in them up until I was 5 at least. I found a photo the other day from when I was 5 and it looks very much like I'm diapered up. Hmm. You learn something new even about yourself sometimes.

I can vouch for the taller bit. My parents were about 45 years older than me, but most of my family was around 5'7 and I'm the tallest by around 3-4 inches. Humans are just getting longer.

Hotdog55 said:
I can vouch for the taller bit. My parents were about 45 years older than me, but most of my family was around 5'7 and I'm the tallest by around 3-4 inches. Humans are just getting longer.

It looks like "taller" is a factor of "historically healthier"? As in, taller humans are more at risk when the going is tough.

Maxx said:
When we're both at competition weight, Junior has 6 inches and 80 pounds on me. Mrs. Junior is several inches taller than both her parents as well.

I would like to compare but my dad is a lazy fatass so I'll never be able to truly tell. He stopped exercising once I was born. Go figure he still somehow blames me. But it's mostly light humor. I'm a tall but "slim" individual. I'm only 165 but I wouldn't say I'm particularly thin. But I'm the tallest in the family, far and above!

I think these days kids are wearing longer and the diaper companies smell money that has been left on the table for many years , lots of older bed wetter and teens are really skinny so in the old days people had to go to cloth to get protection , now the disposable industry is seeing that there is money in this segment, and like the late Freddie mercury said " I want it all, and I want it Now".

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Tetra said:
I think these days kids are wearing longer and the diaper companies smell money that has been left on the table for many years , lots of older bed wetter and teens are really skinny so in the old days people had to go to cloth to get protection , now the disposable industry is seeing that there is money in this segment, and like the late Freddie mercury said " I want it all, and I want it Now".

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Yes and no but I also think it more doubles back on the social acceptance of developmental conditions and disabilities in general. The rest kind of just along for the ride and benefit

Tetra said:
I think these days kids are wearing longer and the diaper companies smell money that has been left on the table for many years

well, when a kid stops using this product, you lose them forever as a customer. So it's not surprising they would do things to encourage you to use their product for longer. You have one shot for each customer to milk them for as much as possible, make it last, right?

I know in America most kids are potty trained at the age of 4 (correct me if im wrong) but int the uk Its about 3

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you could ask the question "would you let you child be potty traind at a later age?" and "is potty training really as important to a child's development as people have you believe?

icklespace said:
I know in America most kids are potty trained at the age of 4 (correct me if im wrong) but int the uk Its about 3

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you could ask the question "would you let you child be potty traind at a later age?" and "is potty training really as important to a child's development as people have you believe?

I'd say in the States - and this is just from my general observations - about three years old is pretty typical nowadays. Like if I had to make a very rough guess, I'd say it's somewhere around:

30% of kids potty trained at two (or possibly younger)
45% of kids potty trained at three
25% of kids trained at four or older

IMO disposables have made it easier (yet costlier) to let a child take their time to fully accept using the toilet during the day. However, at night, a bedwetter had to deal with wet sheets when I grew up or if he had diapers and plastic underpants it was very easy to see it (i.e. diapers drying on the clothes line, crinkly sounds beneath pajamas right before bedtime, etc.). I recall being at a friend's house when I was 6 o r 7 and seeing plastic underpants in a laundry basket from the side view lattice. He was the only child in the family so I thought maybe he had to wear them at night. Recalling my accidents only 1 - 2 years earlier and it was easy for me to not bring up the subject. Another time I recall seeing a young boy at the school playground wearing plastic underpants when his jeans slipped down a bit. Thankfully I resisted the urge to point it out to the other kids (once again I recalled how I would have felt if other kids knew I wore protection up through age 5-6).

It appears today with the disposable market geared to older kids and teenagers with night time wetting issues it is actually a good thing to have these types of easy-worn, protective underwear that can be purchased at a lot of stores. I personally think the pros out weigh the cons.

bambinod said:
well, when a kid stops using this product, you lose them forever as a customer. So it's not surprising they would do things to encourage you to use their product for longer. You have one shot for each customer to milk them for as much as possible, make it last, right?

Not true, at all. I mean, look at US. Kids wearing diapers long means more of a chance to remember wearing them, and enjoy wearing them. Many ABDLs have little or no memory of being diapered, because we were out of diapers before we could form memories. The younger ABDL in some cases remember it well because they were in diapers or pull up until they were 5, 6, 9... and older. They've formed memories of them. So they buy them as they get older. That's part of the reason there ARE goodnites that will fit well into the teen age group. The diaper manufactures know not everyone using their products is a bed wetter. They're well aware of our market too. Keeping kids in diapers longer means their is more of a chance of forming a life long customer.

I quit wearing diapers at 3.3 years right after my brother was born because I had an epiphany that only babies wear them and I was not a baby. But I remember having accidents until age 5. I never wanted to wear a diaper and my parents didn't make me wear them. I didn't have accidents on a daily basis. I also feared big toilets for a while so that was one of the reasons for my accidents because the people at daycare wouldn't let me go and with me being mute, I was not able to express my fears or feelings about toilets for them to know I had a phobia of them, not that I was being stubborn. I pretty much had them a lot at daycare than I did at home. Accidents were hell and I was glad I got passed them.

Now I find it cruel to make any child have accidents and not have them wear a diaper or have them wet the bed and not have them wear a diaper. Unless the kid is making the decision to not wear them, then that is different. I didn't want to wear diapers anyway so it's not like the adults just decided to take them away and have me wet myself. I chose to quit myself.

My son was out of them right around his third birthday and my daughter is still in them and she is 2.9. She shows interest in the toilet off and on and I have put big girl panties on her and she just pees in them and it didn't do any affect on her to use the toilet every time. I have told her how much easier using the toilet would be because she hates me wiping her butt and her labia so I tell her if she would poop in the potty, I won't have to wipe her down there anymore. I am starting to think about doing stickers for her so every time she poops or pees in the potty she gets a sticker to put on her bed.

Both my brothers were out of them in the day time before age three. I can remember my youngest brother having accidents when he was three but not all the time. My son who was three would regress with his potty training and would poop in his pants or wet them and it was intentional and then when our washer was out of order, he did good using the toilet for a week because I told him if he got all his underwear dirty, he would 't have any to wear so he went to the potty chair a lot. Then when we had our washer working again, he went back to his pants again until I had my daughter and he moved forward and didn't regress. I guess seeing what his little sister does and seeing how disgusting her diaper was when she pooped in it, I told him that is why I get upset with him when he poops his pants because it's disgusting and I have to clean it up. He never pooped his pants again unless he is having diarrhea.

I discovered as a mom you can't really force your kids out of diapers. You can encourage them and make them interested and do prizes or bribes or make it harder for them to wear diapers or make it hard when you change them and they could still not be interested in using the potty. You can even be passive aggressive by stalling intentionally to change them and deliberately take too long to change them to get them to decide to use the potty and still not be interested in using the potty. Some kids are really this stubborn. But they all eventually quit. It will happen soon. Us parents just need to be patient.

I stopped wearing at night when I was nine, I was not wetting every night then. After that if I wet it was cold wet sheets and pj's, I am sure that if I still wore pull ups after that then I would have wet for longer as there were no consequences for doing it. Might have even used it on purpose rather than getting up to pee.
If I had worn until 15 , I doubly I would ever have stopped.

- - - Updated - - -

Also sure that if I had worn pull ups during the day for longer with no consequences than I would have stayed in them for longer. Peeing in a pull up can be done without anyone knowing, if you pee your pants everyone knows, so you make sure you do not do it. If your parents say it is ok to use your pull up then, why change?

jamie72 said:
I stopped wearing at night when I was nine, I was not wetting every night then. After that if I wet it was cold wet sheets and pj's, I am sure that if I still wore pull ups after that then I would have wet for longer as there were no consequences for doing it. Might have even used it on purpose rather than getting up to pee.

I wet the bed until 14-15 and never had any protection other than a plastic sheet. At least 4-5 days a week were spent waking up cold and wet, washing sheets, and changing bed linen (my responsibility from about 6). I would've given anything to stop or at least another way to deal with it. Consequences? Bedwetting isn't a choice. That kind of thinking is rather archaic and wrong.

jamie72 said:

- - - Updated - - -

Also sure that if I had worn pull ups during the day for longer with no consequences than I would have stayed in them for longer. Peeing in a pull up can be done without anyone knowing, if you pee your pants everyone knows, so you make sure you do not do it. If your parents say it is ok to use your pull up then, why change?

For me it would be a lot of anxiety and sleepless nights and full of humiliation in school and anxiety about not there being bathrooms and anxiety about drinking anything because I would be so afraid of having accidents. How is this not cruel? I guess if a kid has an anxiety disorder, then no wonder it seems that way. Is it not like this with normal kids? That is why it seems so cruel.

Personally, I feel as this is a direct response to the growing obesity rates, which brings up a alot of other medical complications such as bedwetting and inconciseness.

Attachments

• _44328059_eng_child_obesity_gr203.gif
    _44328059_eng_child_obesity_gr203.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Parents lose all sense when it comes to potty learning. If they were learning bike riding, or walking, it'd be considered unforgivibly inept to do what parents can get away with while their kids are learning to potty, but for some reason, it's allowed, because parents are frustrated, and mistakenly believe their kids are doing things parents don't like, purely out of spite. And it's the same rather they're training a puppy or a human, in the fact that most people's harsh, critical, asshole side comes out. I've taught toddlers, Neurotypical and Neurodiverse, and learning to potty is scary.

I had a box with a ramp built, so that even if parents stood up, I'd tower above them, then said, "I'm bigger than you, you love me, and I'm your boss, now, after 20 or 30 years of doing what you were told was right, pee and poop your pants. Go on. You can do it on the toilet, so, I don't care if this isn't your natural going position. Just do it, because I said so," just so they'd gain some insight and empathy.

They'd usually respond with, "But he can hold it. He waits 'til I'm not looking and goes in his pants," or, she just waits 'til she's diapered at nap time," to which I'd respond, "Knowing what you want them to do doesn't make it any easier to do it. Sitting is a new position, like standing or squatting to go in your pants would have been for you."

That moment of concentration you see a bit before they use their diapers may not be quite what it seems. True, sometimes they're just pushing, but sometimes it's, "What's that? Oh, yeah, I remember now. Now, how do I get this out?"

They have to actually think about how to work those muscles, even in their diapers. Then, about the time they learn, beloved, frustrated, angry giants take them away, and act like the kid should magically know that diapers aren't okay, and everything they need to know about the potty.

It's pee. It's poop. It's not perchloric acid. Calm the hell down, people! Technically, a kid's not potty trained until it's mastered day and night, meaning get there, manage clothes down, go, wipe, manage clothes up, for an extended period of time.

Potty learning starts with learning to notice what the need feels like, and care. This can actually be taught from birth. It's called Elimination Communication, and most parents don't do it, because it's, say it with me. . . Work! Most western E.C.ers do allow diapers, for certain times, or in certain zones, like the car, or in times of, 'strange potty syndrome,' in unfamiliar places, they'll diaper them, instead of forcing it. I like the practice because there is no force, yelling, or bulls hit, and, actually, if the kid misses, it's the parent's fault, for not paying attention, so, no kid shaming allowed, and the kids are body aware sooner. Bad news is, you're gonna be training for maybe 4 or more years, depending on the kid. Usually, for the older ones who've ECd from birth, it's just at night.

With E.C., it's important to know that though a baby less than a year old can signal you, he or she is completely dependent on you.

Also, my kids will know and understand that I'd rather them go, than distend those muscles too far. Holding it too long causes distention, which causes retention, which causes bladder infections, and sometimes O.A.B. Bowel distention and poop shyness can cause overflow bowel IC, so if it gets to the point where I think they're anywhere close, I'll cue mine to go, diapered or not, "too old". . .(Ha! Too old to what? Know your body's limits?) or not. It's poop. It's pee. It's not a crime, and it's called a damn towel.

People treat dogs better than kids. They listen when the veterinarian says not to restrict fluids, but, have a bed wetting kid, and all bets are off!

Mine will eat and drink their fill, period. I can deal with a wet diaper, or undies and sheets. I can't deal with anything or anyone of mine whimpering at night from hunger or thirst!

Consequences? For someone with quite possibly a genetic predisposition? Really? Dinosaur!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back