Kids wearing for longer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit, I am guilty of forcing the average potty training age up - I was about 8 before I was consistently out of diapers, and I'm incon now.

I wore nappies well into my teens, and as that was a long time ago the only option was kite fold terry nappies and at first rubber and then plastic pants. I also had a hospital rubber sheet on the bed for if I ever leaked. In the mornings I certainly knew if I was wet . It did not help me stop wetting until about 16 years old.
I wear now by choice, most of the time disposable, if I wet a little I can not always tell that the nappy is wet as it wicks away. Every now and then I will pin on a terry nappy, with that I can always tell if I am wet or not.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:

Okay I don't know if this was directed at me. My daughter has showed interest in the potty and has sat on it and cooperated and was excited about using it and would pee in it every time when I would take her every hour and being consistent about it. Then she lost interest in it and wouldn't sit on it anymore and just protests. I could just hold her on it but then that might just traumatize her and she might not want to do it at all. I don't see how this isn't stubborness when she has done it before. I know she can do it because she has done it before but then decided she didn't want to do it anymore. Just when you think your kids have been moving forward, for some reason they decide to just stop.

Also the fact my son was using the potty more when our washer was out of order and then he was back to wetting them again when it was being in use again so I know he can do it but was choosing to not use the potty and just going in his pants. Then he stopped when my daughter was born. He was a smart boy so he knew working washer meant clean underwear again.

Kids do weird things and I don't know if this is out of spite.

While I do believe that potty training is very important, I do not believe that diapers should be looked at as negative. I read how people say that kids will be cruel to a kid still in diapers or Goodnites, but I think it's more like adults that are cruel.
if you teach kids that some people still need diapers, that it won't be that bad, or that they might need them again, and that it will be a smoother process. :)

Calico said:
Okay I don't know if this was directed at me. My daughter has showed interest in the potty and has sat on it and cooperated and was excited about using it and would pee in it every time when I would take her every hour and being consistent about it. Then she lost interest in it and wouldn't sit on it anymore and just protests. I could just hold her on it but then that might just traumatize her and she might not want to do it at all. I don't see how this isn't stubborness when she has done it before. I know she can do it because she has done it before but then decided she didn't want to do it anymore. Just when you think your kids have been moving forward, for some reason they decide to just stop.

Also the fact my son was using the potty more when our washer was out of order and then he was back to wetting them again when it was being in use again so I know he can do it but was choosing to not use the potty and just going in his pants. Then he stopped when my daughter was born. He was a smart boy so he knew working washer meant clean underwear again.

Kids do weird things and I don't know if this is out of spite.

Nope, it wasn't. In fact, thank you for letting your daughter initiate a potty pause. She may have stopped because of a, "If I can't do it all by myself, I won't do it," thing.

It was a combination of an interaction I had with one of my daycare kids' dad, and an all out rebellion against the way my training went. I get a little protective of every kid with an, "I'm big; you're little. I'm right; you're wrong. I'm smart; you're dumb, and there's nothing you can do about it," parent, but I didn't mean to make you think that was you. I'm sorry.

I was 3, so I don't remember that part, but I do remember every accident since then.

"Hold it, or you're the scum of the earth," is the impression I got after that.

I don't eat and drink my fill.
I'm 31. You'd think I'd have earned at least that right by now, but instead, I earned the memories of beloved angry giants being mad at me in one way or another about poop or pee, but dammit, they got it through to me, "This never, ever, happens! If it does, it's you being lazy. You should've said something! I know I scoff and sigh, like, 'How dare you inconvenience me,' and that scares you, because I'm bigger than you, but I don't care. Say something," and dammit, I stay mostly clean and dry. True, if I hydrated, I'd have more problems than I do now, and clean, dry, and diaperless, are all that matter, right?

Annnnnnd now y'know why I hate forceful, asshole parents.

My point, not to you, as you don't strike me as a parentzilla, is, be careful how it's done, because no one wants their kid to hold it so long, they either overflow, or retain. No child should have to hold it that long, it's damaging. That daycare kid was having wetting accidents, because he was so constipated, the back pressure of his bowels was pushing on his bladder. Thing was, they didn't know he was constipated until they did imaging. This is why some docs recommend 3, or even 4.

And I also need to say, though I'll E.C. mine, by no means am I a, "Diapers are evil! The man is keeping our kids down," maniac.

I'm not even doing it for the purpose of them being clean and dry full time by whatever age. That's lunacy. E.C. is used a lot in countries where untrained kids seldom leave mom's sight, and the thing is, in those countries, even for kids who've learned, until about 3, if a parent sees signals, they just fetch a place for the kid to go, to prevent them holding too long. Well, if a place to go has to just show up wherever the kid is, or he or she will have an accident, or hold it too long, guess what! That's not trained. If your kid needs a hole cut in the ass of his pants, and to not wear underwear under them, or he'll wet or mess them before reaching an acceptable place, that's not trained either, but, hey, it's what they do in China. I guess, "trained," doesn't mean completely independently over in countries where E.C. isn't new.

Some western E.C.ers only take their infants to the potty in the morning and at night.

I'd do it so that they might grasp, "Something's happening, or needs to, and it's. . ." a bit sooner.

Body awareness reasons, really. I want them left with, "
It's never inconvenient to adults who love me for me to poop and pee. When a trusted adult, who knows my signals, is around, I can go potty. If a trusted, signal-knowing adult isn't around, or I'm uncomfy, I still have to go, and I can. I'll be changed without negativity. I don't have to hold it too long."

The part about pooping and peeing being inconvenient to the adults who'd help is a big one for me, because with my CP, pooping and peeing ticked the adults off, because I needed help to make sure I didn't fall, or slip, or need wiping, or help with clothes, or whatever.

That, and to show that neither potties, nor diapers, are bad, so, needless to say, I'm not interested in making every, "catch," into a potty, but the others would be caught in diapers. If I perpetuated the diapers are for babies, and accidents make you bad myths with my kids, how'd I explain why Mommy leaks, and their aunt will never be potty trained?

E.C.ers have been known to make, "catches," in potted plants, small toddler potties, the toilet, the sink, the back yard, literally anywhere, and I do mean anywhere, they're okay with their child pooping and peeing, rather society is, and it'll be socially acceptable later, or not. Now, it might be socially unacceptable for a kindergartener to an adult to be diapered, or have wet or messy undies, but they won't go to jail for either one, get past infancy, pee in anyone's sink, plant, backyard, or other weird place, besides your own, and see what happens. No, don't do that. Just a little sarcasm. You'll go to jail, if you're the parent, and the kids will get yelled at. unless someone's unbelievably understanding, but like I said, I'm not nuts. That's what diapers are for. I don't want my kids confused thinking peeing in non-socially-accessible places is okay is all.

Last edited:
I wore longer than the standard 2 1/2 to 3 years due to bedwetting. We had 3 kids out of 6 that were bedwetters and my mom was just being pragmatic. I don't remember any of us diapered for school except and then only for a short time. There was no teasing or shame tolerated and it was not uncommon to see a diapered child sitting on the couch watching tv while we waited our time with mom in the bathroom. She was an RN by trade and showed great compassion and patience( except for the infrequent BM accident. I believe we were all capable of cleaning ourselves solo by the time we were 4. I truly believe these preschool routines influenced me in later years when I developed an interest in wearing diapers as I aged. Diapers were always available and wearing them during the beginning of psycho-sexual development played a role. I will say it made the transition back into diapers later in life after a poorly performed abdominal surgery led to severe bowel urgency that I have been unable rectify. The thrill I developed for ab/dl tendencies early on faded as it became (and remains) more of an inconvenience. I still find myself getting in the mood from time to time and it still brings back the thrill if only temporary. I knew a kid in school who was diaper dependent (bowel and bladder) and that, at the time was a form of aversion therapy when I saw how she was treated. Kids can be so cruel. Perhaps it's not as bad for kids today with a greater # of diapered kids and all the attention on anti-bullying. When I hear of the abuse bedwetters were subjected to back then and yes even today, I'm thankful for the environment I grew up in.

w0lfpack91 said:
Um kids don't normally have disposable income nor are capable of purchasing them on their own. And about 80% of parents won't continue spending that much money if it's not a necessity. I understand it's easy for you to think that way but the cost of keeping a child in a diaper is very very expensive there's been times when I've had to choose between buying pull ups for my kid and getting enough food to last a month. To put it in perspective about the cost for the short time that both my son and my little brother were both in Pull-Ups was running close to $130 a month in just diapers and pullups

I agree about the cost being very expensive, especially for pull-up style diapers. Regular baby diapers are a fraction of the price, even the extra large sizes. I have always thought that some manufacturer (most likely a store brand) would come up with larger "baby diapers" for older bedwetting kids. Interesting, In my research I have found that very low income families (such as those who live in trailer homes and trailer parks), purchase baby diapers for older bedwetting children. Perhaps someone has more information about this?

On a side note, I have also found in some online research that pull-up style diapers (such as store brand bedwetter pants, goodnites, training pants) actually leak more often that the open baby diaper style for a lot of older children. Always wondered why manufacturers just do not offer larger sizes in their baby diaper lineups.

happiesxxl said:
I agree about the cost being very expensive, especially for pull-up style diapers. Regular baby diapers are a fraction of the price, even the extra large sizes. I have always thought that some manufacturer (most likely a store brand) would come up with larger "baby diapers" for older bedwetting kids. Interesting, In my research I have found that very low income families (such as those who live in trailer homes and trailer parks), purchase baby diapers for older bedwetting children. Perhaps someone has more information about this?

On a side note, I have also found in some online research that pull-up style diapers (such as store brand bedwetter pants, goodnites, training pants) actually leak more often that the open baby diaper style for a lot of older children. Always wondered why manufacturers just do not offer larger sizes in their baby diaper lineups.
As far as the leaking goes I trained two little boys as they start getting older and bigger the size and position of their package will determine whether or not it's going to leak

anyone who is a parent who has actually dealt with boys understands the dynamics of a young boy vs an older boy and their stuff grows in proportion to their body, as it gets bigger position becomes a major issue with where the stream will shoot. Bad positioning and they will shoot around the leak guards or they can shoot straight out the top. When the child is in a standard baby diaper the parent has to put the diaper on the child so the parents can Ensure that the child's parts are in the proper position for the diaper to be effective when it comes to pullups and goodnight's alot of parents let the child put them on themselves especially if it's a child who just came out of diapers or just started putting them on themselves they don't know to position their genitalia correctly and that's where you get a lot of leaks

And as far as low income families buying pullups for older bedwetting children it's to the point where it's actually cheaper to buy the diaper than it is to continuously replace the mattress and if you get a doctors diagnosis for chronic bedwetting in children you can actually buy diapers and pull-ups under the SNAP benefits as a deductible cost of living expense with children

Last edited:
I wouldn't have a problem with a kid being potty trained up until 6. Past then for most its just bedwetting accidents. I'd get them pull-ups and not have to lie at night on a wet bed with a plastic sheet under it for the next 5-6 years.

I was potty trained at age 3, but wet the bed until I was 8. I wish I was allowed to wear Goodnites, but my parents were given the whole "wet beds help him learn speech by my doctor." I think this is part of the reason I have a diaper fetish and am an abdl now

Times have changed. But there are also some good and bad aspects to training. There is no particular age for a child to train or be ready. I do believe that year's ago society pushed on certain Cutures that a child should be trained by such and such age. Each child is different and should learn to go when there ready. Not shamed or any ,thing. A lot of kids starting school are still not trained. I don't think a child should always be babied or made to wear diapers longer than they néed to except for at night or évén day time diapers are not just for babies. Disposal diapers i do believe has a great impact on children over the year. If a child is not trained after a certain age doesn't mean it will turn out ti be a sexual thing for a child from my point of view. Disposable diapers are great. So are training pants or what ever else. I believe t he problem is when a child is forced to wear diapers, not at least try to start training after a certain time, babies too much, humiliated or threatened with diapers for one reason ur another. Diapers are a good thing and kids or any at a certain age should. Feel diapers are a bad thing. And that brings up my next issue concerning diapers. I've learned that diapers are fun and are used for their purpose. Disposal diapers are best in my book. Especially plastic backed ones doesn't matter how they smell baby sent or what ever or how they look. Babyish or not. They're designs or how they sound. Whether there nosiey or not. They give you a since of confidence when needed or for their primary use I feel the same way about plastic pants, training pants, plastic sheets onsies or évén baby like clothes. And that is one of the reasons there is an AB community. I went through a lot as a young child and évén older. Both good and bad. Adults like kids have their reason for the diaper community. I support the ab community. I just have a few issues with kids and diapers. And that I (have been through growing ((up. I learned to respect (and appriate diapers and their purpose. For what they (are and their purposes (évén though I went through (a difficult time as an older child still in diapers for one reason or another. And respect another person choice on their diaper and évén babiish needs if so need be. I'm not Judgmental or do I even expect others to be that way with me no matters a persons age or situation.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

GoodnitesLover8 said:
I was potty trained at age 3, but wet the bed until I was 8. I wish I was allowed to wear Goodnites, but my parents were given the whole "wet beds help him learn speech by my doctor." I think this is part of the reason I have a diaper fetish and am an abdl now

Similar story to mine, but instead of a doctor, my mom implied it, because she was a special ed aid, I was also in special ed. Her reasoning was independence as much as possible. I even went to separate schools, from the schools she worked at. ISo it wasn't the "Only babies wear diapers." line. Thank Goodness. So I understood that diapers are okay for those that need them, no matter their age.

And while I am a DL, I support those who may need diapers, before myself.

I am the same way

I wore diapers 24/7 until I was 6 years old and I wet the bed every night until 11. I'm glad I was able to wear diapers and protection when I was younger and I never wanted to give them up.

Rights

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

That is not a bad thing at all

So if the kids still need ygem

Frankly speaking, I wouldn't mind if Proctor & Gamble or Kimberly-Clark made a line of tape diapers for big kids, complete with prints from stuff they'd be interested in.

I seem to recall Nintendo being approached for the rights to use Pokémon prints on diapers, but it never came to be.

I have ideas for features in the even this occurs. Glow-in-the-dark prints, wetness indicators to teach them when they need to change...

Heck, if a child isn't ready, their parents can teach them how to change themselves.

pull-ups/goodnites work wonders for self changing.

I would think if they made diapers in larger sizes with appropriate patterns then people would buy them. Firstly, as others have said, they would be cheaper than pull ups, and secondly, they leak less, especially for boys.
At night, pull ups are easy to pull on and pull off. During the day they are easy to pull off, but to put a new one on, you need to remove shoes, trousers and any pants they might wear, so pull ups are more of an issue.
If nothing else it would give more choice.
Baby diapers are getting bigger anyway, so I presume it is just a matter of time. Not for full time wearing, but for times when toilets may be hard to reach and accidents could happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back