Windows 10 is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sapphyre said:
If it affects the whole system, then yes, that is a fault of Linux you are exploiting. Good luck doing that on OpenBSD. ^^;

In a perfect world, I suppose that would be true, but we don't live in a perfect world and it is quite literally impossible for an OS to be perfect. There will always exist ways that a shotty program can cause issues. The only way around that is to severely limit what someone can program, which I doubt many people want.

Edit:
Basically, while yes it is pretty much the OS's fault, it's a symptom of something good and not bad. You could if you want to limit an OS so much and only allow specific developers with a unique programming language to make programs for it and have nothing else run on it and make it almost entirely impossible to create malicious programs. Wouldn't be a very open platform.

I wish they would..jk..it would make things a lot easier...lol

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

MarchinBunny said:
In a perfect world, I suppose that would be true, but we don't live in a perfect world and it is quite literally impossible for an OS to be perfect. There will always exist ways that a shotty program can cause issues. The only way around that is to severely limit what someone can program, which I doubt many people want.

Edit:
Basically, while yes it is pretty much the OS's fault, it's a symptom of something good and not bad. You could if you want to limit an OS so much and only allow specific developers with a unique programming language to make programs for it and have nothing else run on it and make it almost entirely impossible to create malicious programs. Wouldn't be a very open platform.

I don't think it's so much an issue of programming language as it is with program privileges. OpenBSD HAS made it almost impossible for malicious programs to get very far, yet they primarily use C as a programming language. And like the name says, they're quite open. The OS comes with FULL source code. And patches are made by editing said source code. They simply strive for "correctness" and security in how the OS is programmed. It's still rather open... just "secure by default."

The update is insane. It comes up from day to day and can't turn it off.

MarchinBuny said:
https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

Edit: It's important to remember with windows if there is something you don't like, it's typically possible to change it. The ways to do it can vary between beginner to advanced, but usually, there is always a way. That's what I like about windows, customizability is actually quite high.
Windows 10 is more user friendly than previous versions. so this is not a big issue in most cases.

I've been using windows since windows 3.1.
Windows 10, has flaws to be sure. But its a great OS. I'm a programmer, developer and all out multitasker and power user. Behind the hoods its the best there ever was, even more so then linux. I'm speaking strictly the technology behind windows and not the other issues and spying.

There are areas to be improved in windows 10. Hopefully with the next update which should be soon, it will be much better in the way it updates. It should allow you a snooze button on an update, and to specify better time to do updates.
Besides all that, you can disable its ability to even update to begin with. Just open services, set windows update in the properties of the service to disabled and stop the service. It won't be able to update. You'll get an error when you go to update. You'll also not be able to use the windows store though and if your an advanced person you might see more log spam in your windows logs due to the service being offline / as an error. But that doesn't really matter.

What drives me crazy with Windows 10 is the horrible bloated desktop interface, and the fact that the OS tries to do so much without explicitly telling you what it's doing. I like to be in full control of my OS.

I have rarely had a problem with Windows 10, I really liked Windows 7 and others told me it was like that but better, I enjoy using it. My updates are set to be done at like 2am or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiny said:
What drives me crazy with Windows 10 is the horrible bloated desktop interface, and the fact that the OS tries to do so much without explicitly telling you what it's doing. I like to be in full control of my OS.

What do you mean bloated desktop interface? It works exactly the same as all previous windows as far as I am aware. XD No bloating.

MarchinBunny said:
What do you mean bloated desktop interface? It works exactly the same as all previous windows as far as I am aware. XD No bloating.

Tiles? Adverts in apps? Stupid interface? Pointless animations?

Classic mode in XP was much better. It didn't try to slow you down with illogical layouts or pointless eye-candy.

tiny said:
Tiles? Adverts in apps? Stupid interface? Pointless animations?

Classic mode in XP was much better. It didn't try to slow you down with illogical layouts or pointless eye-candy.

Hmm, you don't have to use the tiles though. adverts in apps is common for nearly all electronics and not just windows, and ... the interface is pretty much exactly the same since ... ever. As for pointless animation ... hmm clicking the start menu takes like .2 seconds to pop up. I don't see what the problem is XD.

MarchinBunny said:
Hmm, you don't have to use the tiles though. adverts in apps is common for nearly all electronics and not just windows, and ... the interface is pretty much exactly the same since ... ever. As for pointless animation ... hmm clicking the start menu takes like .2 seconds to pop up. I don't see what the problem is XD.

It's just so ugly and unnecessary. It's more of a personal thing, I guess. And I can't even remember the last time I saw an advert on any of my electronic devices. The OS is bloated too, with all sorts of privacy concerns. This is just regarding the latest update:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/06/microsoft_windows_10_creators_update/

I really don't think I'll ever use Windows 10. I have a licence, so I could. I was assuming it would be inevitable when extended support for Win7 expires. But the more I hear about it (and the more I remember using it), I don't think that'll ever happen.

I'll probably switch to a locked-down version of XP, and use GNU/Linux for anything that doesn't require Windows.

- - - Updated - - -

This is rather interesting too:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/..._at_windows_10_still_dont_like_what_they_see/

tiny said:
It's just so ugly and unnecessary. It's more of a personal thing, I guess. And I can't even remember the last time I saw an advert on any of my electronic devices. The OS is bloated too, with all sorts of privacy concerns.
Well, I don't know, I think it looks fine. As for you not being able to remember the last time you saw an advert on an electronic device, I am shocked. Nearly every free app on a phone has ads. I don't even use the app store in windows and so I don't ever see any ads at all.

As for it being bloated, it's far less bloated than previous windows as far as I am aware. Privacy concerns? ... well ... technically you should be concerned with any electronic device you use. The only difference between some of them and windows is they just don't tell you they are tracking information. Typically it's not even any sort of information that people should be worried about. It's mostly used for marketing or things that are for your own benefit anyway.

Yep, I consider all that an over reaction. It's a bandwagon people hopped on and most don't even know why they are concerned about it. XD
They just hear information is being taken ... and for whatever reason, that alone to them is to be concerned about like as if all their private info they don't want to be leaked is going to somehow get leaked by Microsoft. :p

I mean can you actually show me a real world example where the information be taken here has ended up in something bad happening to someone? This whole concern about privacy a lot of people have while using facebook, windows and crap ... is just all paranoia to me. An illogical fear. In some cases there are some people who don't even actually care about it, but because they wanna hate on windows they will bring it up anyway. XD

I really don't think I'll ever use Windows 10. I have a licence, so I could. I was assuming it would be inevitable when extended support for Win7 expires. But the more I hear about it (and the more I remember using it), I don't think that'll ever happen.
Truthfully, I think it's just a bunch of nonsense. I don't mean that to be offensive, but I seriously always hear people complain but it's so rare I ever actually hear anyone mention anything that is a legitimate concern. Most things people complain about are either easily fixed through some sort of setting, or what they don't like is so overly picky.

MarchinBunny said:
Well, I don't know, I think it looks fine. As for you not being able to remember the last time you saw an advert on an electronic device, I am shocked. Nearly every free app on a phone has ads.

I use ad blockers, and don't really use many phone apps.

MarchinBunny said:
As for it being bloated, it's far less bloated than previous windows as far as I am aware.

You've got to be kidding me!

MarchinBunny said:
Privacy concerns? ... well ... technically you should be concerned with any electronic device you use.

I am. :smile:

MarchinBunny said:
The only difference between some of them and windows is they just don't tell you they are tracking information.

I use Cyanogenmod 13 on my phone, and Arch Linux on my PC. What information do you reckon they are tracking without telling me?

MarchinBunny said:
Typically it's not even any sort of information that people should be worried about. It's mostly used for marketing or things that are for your own benefit anyway.

"For my own benefit"?! :laugh: That's a good one! Pure doublespeak!

MarchinBunny said:
Yep, I consider all that an over reaction. It's a bandwagon people hopped on and most don't even know why they are concerned about it. XD
They just hear information is being taken ... and for whatever reason, that alone to them is to be concerned about like as if all their private info they don't want to be leaked is going to somehow get leaked by Microsoft. :p

I mean can you actually show me a real world example where the information be taken here has ended up in something bad happening to someone?

I can't find it right now, but do you remember back around 2005, when Google published anonymised search results? Journalists managed to identify unique individuals from the information they'd been searching for -- some of it relating to medical conditions and hidden homosexual interests.

But, that's not the point. The point is that I have no interest in letting companies analyse me and consider everything on MY computer their property. Fuck that.

The sad thing is that most people don't really understand the issue. And so you get Windows fanboys saying that Win10 is "the best thing ever" and privacy advocates saying "are you kidding me"? And in the noise of all the shouting, people just pick sides without really understanding exactly what they're doing.

It's sad. The internet was supposed to make us equal.

tiny said:
I can't find it right now, but do you remember back around 2005, when Google published anonymised search results? Journalists managed to identify unique individuals from the information they'd been searching for -- some of it relating to medical conditions and hidden homosexual interests.

But, that's not the point. The point is that I have no interest in letting companies analyse me and consider everything on MY computer their property. Fuck that.

The sad thing is that most people don't really understand the issue. And so you get Windows fanboys saying that Win10 is "the best thing ever" and privacy advocates saying "are you kidding me"? And in the noise of all the shouting, people just pick sides without really understanding exactly what they're doing.

It's sad. The internet was supposed to make us equal.

Well ... when something bad actually happens ... then I will have a reason to be concerned right? Until then it's just people crying wolf with nothing ever actually happening.

MarchinBunny said:
Well ... when something bad actually happens ... then I will have a reason to be concerned right? Until then it's just people crying wolf with nothing ever actually happening.

If you don't understand or care about the importance of privacy, that's fine. I'm not stopping you from using Windows 10, am I? :p

tiny said:
If you don't understand or care about the importance of privacy, that's fine. I'm not stopping you from using Windows 10, am I? :p

Well .. what are they using the information they are gathering from me for and why should it bother me?

MarchinBunny said:
Well .. what are they using the information they are gathering from me for and why should it bother me?

Good question. That's a great way to approach the issue. Keep asking that question when you agree to the T&Cs of new software and devices.

I can't quite understand how some people are so willing to share every private detail of their lives with someone else. Who is tracking you? What do you get out of it? :-/

tiny said:
Good question. That's a great way to approach the issue. Keep asking that question when you agree to the T&Cs of new software and devices.

I can't quite understand how some people are so willing to share every private detail of their lives with someone else. Who is tracking you? What do you get out of it? :-/

But again ... why does it even matter? It's not like they are tracking me specifically. There isn't a person sitting there looking at everything I look at. Crap I would feel bad for whoever had to do that lol. What information do they collect and who is viewing it that I really need to be so worried about it?

While you can't quite understand how people are willing to share private details, I can't understand why you actually think anyone actually cares about your private details to the extent that you need to be so worried. It boggles my mind why you would assume your private life specifically matters to anyone at a company besides for marketing or some crap like that. Why do you think your private information is so important? Again, who is viewing it that has you so worried? What do you think they are doing with it? XD Do you think there is someone back there plotting against you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back