Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Windows 10 is a joke.

I just disable the windows update service, without it, it can't update. It's pretty easy. lol
    Click start, type services, right click run as administrator on services, yes to run it when it asks. go down to windows update. right click on it, properties, under startup type, set disabled. stop the service if its running, apply. Done.
    Undo/redo those steps to update when you choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    I just disable the windows update service, without it, it can't update. It's pretty easy. lol
    Click start, type services, right click run as administrator on services, yes to run it when it asks. go down to windows update. right click on it, properties, under startup type, set disabled. stop the service if its running, apply. Done.
    Undo/redo those steps to update when you choose to.
    LOL. Now why didn't I think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    LOL. Now why didn't I think of that?
    Heh. Same here!

As a random heads up, Microsoft are involved in a scam for a product called Scan Guard. It promises to "fix stuff" on your PC. Run a scan and it will find all sorts of bogus "problems" and then ask you to pay money to fix them.

Microsoft have been advertising this product in the built-in games (Solitaire, etc.) for a number of months, and have presumably made a lot of money from the scam.

I suppose Microsoft have realised that they can earn more from ongoing fraud than from one-off purchases of an OS.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Heh. Same here!

As a random heads up, Microsoft are involved in a scam for a product called Scan Guard. It promises to "fix stuff" on your PC. Run a scan and it will find all sorts of bogus "problems" and then ask you to pay money to fix them.
    Microsoft have been advertising this product in the built-in games (Solitaire, etc.) for a number of months, and have presumably made a lot of money from the scam.

I suppose Microsoft have realised that they can earn more from ongoing fraud than from one-off purchases of an OS.
    It may not be Microsoft, but whatever third party they used for the games. Doesn't matter, I un-installed it already. Tried the Solitaire and found the game action annoying over and above the pop-up ads for whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    It may not be Microsoft, but whatever third party they used for the games.
    The buck stops with Microsoft. They produced a product which sells advertising space. They wouldn't have done that unless they were making a profit.

If they don't want to be part of serious fraud, it is their responsibility to ensure that they aren't helping scammers.

Microsoft have been profiting from this particular scam for months, despite the outrage, and have done nothing about it. They clearly value the business of advertisers over the risk of prosecution for fraud, or their reputation.