Windows 10 is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgrading to windows 10 messed up my laptop. Of course, could not downgrade because I waited too long. Ended up pulling the hard drive and installing a blank one to run Linux. The Toshiba app to set boot priority would not open. Now the computer runs perfectly again. Had to buy a new laptop to run windows so I can run one program. Never have such a headache with my Mac's. Too bad one OS will not do everything I want so I have to run OSX, Windows, and Linux.

I have mine set to do all updates and restarts while I am sleeping. It isn't allowed to do it during active hours.

Maxx said:
I'm using 10 home, not pro. I can set 'active hours', but my understanding is that active hours only delays auto-restart. It'll still disrupt you with download and install of updates. At least that's what it says in the update and security window, and that's what it did to me yesterday.

Oh right, I forgot it still downloads during active hours. Hmm, they should change that.

Milko said:
Yeah updating is horrible in Windows 10. I use Windows 7 and have no intention of upgrading until 2020 when support is dropped.

I probably will not even drop it then. I knew when I kept getting notices about the "free" installation of Win 10 (until I learned how to turn it off) on my Win 7 machine that it could not be good.

Oh, and when I sleep, so does my computer. I have my auto-update turned off and check weekly for update download and installation. Can the auto-updater be turned off for Win 10?

Kenn said:
I probably will not even drop it then. I knew when I kept getting notices about the "free" installation of Win 10 (until I learned how to turn it off) on my Win 7 machine that it could not be good.

Oh, and when I sleep, so does my computer. I have my auto-update turned off and check weekly for update download and installation. Can the auto-updater be turned off for Win 10?

There is a little switch you can turn on to pause updates for up to 35 days. But once you unpause you will have to update before you are allowed to pause it again.

Maxx said:
REALLY!!? WHERE? Or is that in something other than the "Home" version? It's not as good as manual update, but it would certainly be good to have that in my back pocket when I'm doing something I absolutely positively don't want interrupted.

Assuming you have the latest big update currently installed, it should be under advanced options when you go to windows update settings.

2017-05-11.png

I don't know if any of these new options prevent it from download the updates though. Also as you can see the two option with 0s in them, you can set those to defer those specific kinds of updates and it can be set for an entire year for the features one, and 30 days for quality. XD

If you wanted to, you could probably set up a firewall rule to block the Windows Update app, and write a short script that you can run manually, which disables the rule and checks for updates...

I just disable the windows update service, without it, it can't update. It's pretty easy. lol
Click start, type services, right click run as administrator on services, yes to run it when it asks. go down to windows update. right click on it, properties, under startup type, set disabled. stop the service if its running, apply. Done.
Undo/redo those steps to update when you choose to.

Maxx said:
LOL. Now why didn't I think of that?

Heh. Same here!

As a random heads up, Microsoft are involved in a scam for a product called Scan Guard. It promises to "fix stuff" on your PC. Run a scan and it will find all sorts of bogus "problems" and then ask you to pay money to fix them.

Microsoft have been advertising this product in the built-in games (Solitaire, etc.) for a number of months, and have presumably made a lot of money from the scam.

I suppose Microsoft have realised that they can earn more from ongoing fraud than from one-off purchases of an OS.

Maxx said:
It may not be Microsoft, but whatever third party they used for the games.

The buck stops with Microsoft. They produced a product which sells advertising space. They wouldn't have done that unless they were making a profit.

If they don't want to be part of serious fraud, it is their responsibility to ensure that they aren't helping scammers.

Microsoft have been profiting from this particular scam for months, despite the outrage, and have done nothing about it. They clearly value the business of advertisers over the risk of prosecution for fraud, or their reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back