Windows 10 is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sapphyre said:
Also, Microsoft only permits full-disk encryption in certain versions of Windows 10, and even then, the key is uploaded to their servers automatically. At least from what I read: howtogeek.com.

Yet you claim that Windows isn't restrictive at all...? :-/

tiny said:

I never claimed that. I don't use Windows. Precisely because I find it too restrictive.

I suspect you are confusing me with another member.

Sapphyre said:
I never claimed that. I don't use Windows. Precisely because I find it too restrictive.

I suspect you are confusing me with another member.

D'oh! Sorry -- I confused you with MarchinBunny!

tiny said:
D'oh! Sorry -- I confused you with MarchinBunny!

Yeah, cause our names are so alike, right? :p *teasing*

She and I definitely have a difference of opinion when it comes to OS. But, eh, whatever. To each their own. I LOVE OpenBSD, and I rather enjoy Linux. Windows just irritates me.

When it comes to encryption, I either use a product written by myself, or veracrypt. :D (with linux I obviously use luks) I should point that out ;)

I cannot trust closed source programs when it comes to encryption, I use PGP and Veracrypt. (It's a spinoff from TrueCrypt) personally I like it for it's many ciphers, and It's truecrypt is practically "uncrackable". I say practically as there are "ways around it" dumping the contents of the ram using forensics tools (which I know how to do) I've also written my own tools to evade forensics tools isn't that cool, I've written a spin off of a application that kills your computer if you take out a USB (using cygwin) kind of limited due to windows lacking some important functions that are in UNIX based operating systems.

It's kind of funny actually, cause I had to write my own version of lsusb which BADLY emulates what lsusb does but only gets specific devices, I still don't know how to fix that issue, maybe I need to loop though hubs or some shit.

To give you a general idea of how serious I take my security, I glued my ram sticks into my computer, :D

My decryption key is roughly 50 characters long, and I use a 4096 RSA certificate to log into any of my servers, that's right 4096 :D

Knowing all this, I can't get a job anywhere, or even at maccas sigh. kind of pisses me off that windows doesn't have "home folder encryption" It's a feature I love that's in most linux distros, but lacking in OSX and Windows :(

Downside to veracrypt is doing "major" updates, they often break the god damn drivers, which makes it impossible to boot into windows again, so you've got to decrypt the drive, boot into windows, than reencrypt the drive usually, stupid microsoft :D

I dual boot obviously, I've got a application that I gotta support, and it's "windows only" written in C# dealing with cryptography isn't that funny, It's practically my version don't worry It's as secure as it can get I based it off a open source encryption library with modifications for speed ;) going to eventually ditch C# and use Crypto++

I used to write shitty little ciphers as logic puzzles, I'm only good at maths when it comes to code, that's about it, outside of computers I'm practically an idiot. I also know things you're not supposed to know, I have enough social skills to do "little social engineering" and know tons of things that nobody should know which I can always use to my benefits.

I'm obviously 90% sober right now.

Last edited:
tiny said:

When did I claim it isn't restrictive at all? What I was claiming was it's not as restrictive as you make it seem to be.
I am a more "technically-minded person" ... and I don't find it locked-down at all or overly restrictive. It does exactly what I need it to do. It's great for gaming. It works well. It's fast. I have never come across a point where I could not do what I wanted. Exactly what more else do I need?

Binary said:
To give you a general idea of how serious I take my security, I glued my ram sticks into my computer, :D
Why would you glue them in? o_O

My decryption key is roughly 50 characters long, and I use a 4096 RSA certificate to log into any of my servers, that's right 4096 :D
See, I don't quite worry about security all that much. I am just an individual person. I am not part of Area 51 (Funny though since I name all my computers Area 51, I know it's unoriginal XD).
I think many people have this weird anxiety about security when it comes to computers to the point that it's actualyl not really all that logical. It's like putting a high-end security door on your house that you would expect to see in a bank. It's entirely unnecessary. Keeping in mind, I myself am prerty secure about things now. I have a different random password for every site.

Knowing all this, I can't get a job anywhere, or even at maccas sigh. kind of pisses me off that windows doesn't have "home folder encryption" It's a feature I love that's in most linux distros, but lacking in OSX and Windows :(
It's hard to get a job in computers actually since it's such a common career. Not to mention, skills in linux is actually even less needed besides obviously companies who run servers and such. But most companies don't use linux for their employee based computers. Working with Windows is just more common. Also, most of these jobs require lots of on job expeirence and a degree of some type. At least that is how it is in the US.

MarchinBunny said:
When did I claim it isn't restrictive at all? What I was claiming was it's not as restrictive as you make it seem to be.
I am a more "technically-minded person" ... and I don't find it locked-down at all or overly restrictive. It does exactly what I need it to do. It's great for gaming. It works well. It's fast. I have never come across a point where I could not do what I wanted. Exactly what more else do I need?

Why would you glue them in? o_O

See, I don't quite worry about security all that much. I am just an individual person. I am not part of Area 51 (Funny though since I name all my computers Area 51, I know it's unoriginal XD).
I think many people have this weird anxiety about security when it comes to computers to the point that it's actualyl not really all that logical. It's like putting a high-end security door on your house that you would expect to see in a bank. It's entirely unnecessary. Keeping in mind, I myself am prerty secure about things now. I have a different random password for every site.

It's hard to get a job in computers actually since it's such a common career. Not to mention, skills in linux is actually even less needed besides obviously companies who run servers and such. But most companies don't use linux for their employee based computers. Working with Windows is just more common. Also, most of these jobs require lots of on job expeirence and a degree of some type. At least that is how it is in the US.

1. ANTI-Forensics ;) gluing in your ram sticks "mostly" protects against the cold boot method ;)

2. I've got code signing certificates and access to a shit ton of servers, lets say if any of those certificates fall in the wrong hands, obviously that's going to be deadly, because people will sign malware with my certificates avoiding detection.

3. Encryption by itself is useless, like you said it's like a security door on a house, but.. if you know what you're doing It becomes a high security money transfer van ;) seriously gluing in your ram is one of those things that prevents a lot of the attacks, but once you do it properly, It's practically uncrackable and there are tons of government documents supporting this.

Lets say I know people who wire up a sensor to there door to shut the power off to the computer if that door is open without touching another switch first. o_O crazy stuff. I did this once with a light sensor so everytime you turned used your computer and turned the light on in the room it would shut down, if you don't want the switch to activate you would use a key to disable it :D

Technically you can argue I'm not doing it "good enough" I'm sure people at government agencies wire a switch to thermite or use self destructing SSDs

4. Most companies use windows (whatever) enterprise, and I do have skills with windows server, most recent version I've used is 2012, ;) a lot of my qualification deals with windows server and not linux interestingly enough, and networking.

5. I'm technically a qualified network administrator ;)

6. VPN is a must for me, most Australians should be using them IMO, we have stupid metadata collection laws in AUS, who knows when that power will be abused there are often comedians joking about this, such as segments of people looking for jobs, and the employer is looking at his search history because metadata itself tells a lot about the site there visiting.

For example. the information they would have as follows
<title> ADISC.ORG - Windows 10 is a joke. </title>

<meta name="keywords" content="windows, practically, encryption, written, kind, veracrypt, boot, tools, computer, application, version, write, lsusb, drive, lacking, funny, based, social, things, source, ciphers, truecrypt, 4096, linux, forensics, feature, home, maccas, love, folder, reencrypt, decrypt, pisses, impossible, major, updates, downside, break, sigh, distros, makes, drivers, damn, idiot, supposed, computers, code, skills, sober, benefits" />
<meta name="description" content="The thing that pisses me off the most about windows 10 is the fact it updates at random literally killing your internet connection.

Binary said:
5. I'm technically a qualified network administrator ;)

Ya, being a graduate in Telecommunications and a fiber optic certified technician along with learning about Cisco Networking ... I am pretty much too XD. Sadly, I did not get any certifications for Cisco since it wasn't offered at the school, but was something I was planning to get on my own.

MarchinBunny said:
Ya, being a graduate in Telecommunications and a fiber optic certified technician along with learning about Cisco Networking ... I am pretty much too XD. Sadly, I did not get any certifications for Cisco since it wasn't offered at the school, but was something I was planning to get on my own.

I should mention windows and linux have there fair share of problems ;)

Some reason with windows 10 on my hardware is once it goes to sleep, I go wake the computer up it's like beep beep beep beep, so I have to hard reset it, or It just BSOD's for some unknown reason :D

That being said on my hardware linux shits the bed, locks up randomly,

Binary said:
I should mention windows and linux have there fair share of problems ;)

Some reason with windows 10 on my hardware is once it goes to sleep, I go wake the computer up it's like beep beep beep beep, so I have to hard reset it, or It just BSOD's for some unknown reason :D

That being said on my hardware linux shits the bed, locks up randomly,

Ya, personally, I have been fairly lucky. I never really had any sort of serious problem with Windows that I could not fix and I have been using Windows since 98. I have tried Linux and I personally found much of it overly complicated. Not that it's a bad thing per se, I did like many features it had and thought it was fun to mess around with, however, I have been a Windows user for so long and Linux doesn't necessarily offer me anything I need to warrant a switch to an entirely new OS.

Not to mention, gaming is just easier to do on Windows and there are so much more programs available. I find the downsides on Linux outweigh the upsides, at least for personal use.

Most of the reasons I have heard from the other side on why they use Linux and why they don't like Windows is due to being fairly picky about certain things and/or they have misconceptions about Windows due to past bad experiences which may not have even been caused by Windows at all. It's actually rare that I assume any problem I have with my computer is caused by Windows. In fact, I would say I am correct to be that way because most issues are caused by something stupid I did, or caused by something else entirely. Whether it be a faulty driver or program.

Maxx said:
I've never had serious problems with windows, and I've been using it since 3.0 or 3.1. That said, I still find it annoying, as I have every Microsoft product going back to DOS 2.0.

1. I don't like being second guessed, or steered into doing things their way by unnecessarily complicated command paths and hidden functions. Maybe that's good for some mythical "average user", but it seems like they try to treat users like 2 year olds. Terrific for a place like this I guess, but most people are offended by condescension.
Can you give me an example? I have never really run into anything that I felt was unnecessarily complicated. To me changing anything is rather simple no matter how you go about it. Whether you need to enter commands or change a registry key. Doesn't even take that long o.o.

2. Microsoft products have always taken up more processing horsepower and storage space than their competitors.
It's a bigger OS compared to most of it's competitors, not as light weight, that is a no shit sherlock sort of thing Maxx. But they have gotten loads and loads better with that. Windows 10 as far as I am aware is a less resource hog than previous versions.

If I cared about gaming...
Ya, well if you did you would probably understand why Windows is pretty much the best way to go when it comes to that.

I don't consider myself all that picky, but I do find that getting around in Ubuntu is more intuitively obvious to me. I'm sure personal taste has a lot to do with that. It also doesn't try to second guess me as much as Microsoft.
That is fine. My point here isn't to say which is better, my point here is that it's an opinion and Windows isn't actually a bad OS. It's fine if it doesn't meet your standards, because it totally meets mine very easily and then some. I do think it's because I actually know how to navigate through windows loads better than most people. I am the type of person who can learn the in and outs of any software in a matter of days. So it's not surprising really.

That's true of any program or operating system. Its not an excuse for the program/software provider to make the product unnecessarily difficult to use. It's the same sort of crap that happens a lot in the automotive world... special tools, or only selling certain parts through dealers to subsidize their service departments.

Oh clearly you msised the point Maxx. It's not Windwos fault if some shitty program decides to cause issues with your computer. And yes, it can happen with any program or OS .. that was my damned point. XD It's not a Windows specific issue.

MarchinBunny said:
Can you give me an example? I have never really run into anything that I felt was unnecessarily complicated. To me changing anything is rather simple no matter how you go about it. Whether you need to enter commands or change a registry key. Doesn't even take that long o.o.

It's a bigger OS compared to most of it's competitors, not as light weight, that is a no shit sherlock sort of thing Maxx. But they have gotten loads and loads better with that. Windows 10 as far as I am aware is a less resource hog than previous versions.

Ya, well if you did you would probably understand why Windows is pretty much the best way to go when it comes to that.

That is fine. My point here isn't to say which is better, my point here is that it's an opinion and Windows isn't actually a bad OS. It's fine if it doesn't meet your standards, because it totally meets mine very easily and then some. I do think it's because I actually know how to navigate through windows loads better than most people. I am the type of person who can learn the in and outs of any software in a matter of days. So it's not surprising really.

Oh clearly you msised the point Maxx. It's not Windwos fault if some shitty program decides to cause issues with your computer. And yes, it can happen with any program or OS .. that was my damned point. XD It's not a Windows specific issue.

MarchinBunny, hon, have we discussed being "harsh" before? Really, OUCH... you have a point to make but it needs to be made more gently... o.o;;

Oh, and technically, it is the fault of the OS if an individual program can cause issues to the whole system. They should not be able to.

Sapphyre said:
MarchinBunny, hon, have we discussed being "harsh" before? Really, OUCH... you have a point to make but it needs to be made more gently... o.o;;

Oh, and technically, it is the fault of the OS if an individual program can cause issues to the whole system. They should not be able to.

God that brings back so many bad memories pretty sure they only got drivers to stop crashing the system around XPish, I've had shitty written applications consume 90% of the resources I had, hilarious or when task manager decides it's had enough and won't open, get this a bug in a user level application I wrote caused windows to BSOD :D forgot to use a buffer to open a large file in .net not sure if it was just coincidence or shitty code.

Windows 10 as much as I regret to say this is a lot better than all the previous versions of windows, but still has a long way to go when it comes to things, It's still technically a 10 something year old operating system with a new user interface and modifications to the kernel slapped onto it. I don't think OSX is any different to that.

But considering 99% of computers use a form of windows, I can't ditch it just yet, obviously I still use it for gaming but an interesting fact is the PS4 uses some FREEBSD ;) (well from the sources I've seen so far)

Linux is just as good as windows for gaming, It's just the shitty developers don't want to fucking support it, The games linux run do it very well, valve did some tests with the Linux kernel against the windows kernel, ;)

You can tell they did some modifications to the kernel as it seems to handle drivers better, installing a display driver starts the display driver and changes the resolution which is something that I haven't seen before.

That being said the Wine Project looks promising, if you can't get native games, "emulate them" you've got a shit ton of emulators, I can play most PS2 games with PCSX2 and ubuntu, and any PS1 game I want, same goes with gamecube, dreamcast etc.

If you saw any of the code for windows, you'll rip your eyes out, most of the code is "hacks ontop of hacks" and comments about tabs, seriously I've seen the code for windows 2000 and there is shit dating back 20 years :D

But, who knows, things might of changed since then, but from what I've seen windows does indeed use it's older code. kind of funny how they actually write code to bug fix things like word instead of patching word itself. :D

Sapphyre said:

How is it harsh? o_O
Also .. not it's not the fault of the OS. I can make a shitty program that runs terrible on Linux .. is that the fault of Linux? That makes no sense.

MarchinBunny is right about a couple things though...I prefer linux or osx over windows:) every system has its flukes regardless of the os...all the windows information doesnt have to be as large as it is...microsoft just keeps adding on to the existing code with edits every so often..its the same with web programming..(i do the same thing my self as it saves time)...the issue with that is that the "defective" code is still there and not deleted and some mods viruses adware and Trojans can re-enable the code causing issues...windows updates should take about 1/2hr-2hrs to download at 15Mbs. I factory reset mine and it took 5hrs to do all the updates at once so something else is using your bandwith....Sapphyre is correct one doesn't have to get aggressive or borderline abusive to make a point...I get calls from friends and family about Windows and Android all the time having 17yrs between yourself and your oldest sibling, having parents in mid 60's, and grandparents in mid 80's to 90's gets very frustrating explaining things repeatedly and taking your frustrations out on your friends family and community will make no one want to speak to you...(this happened to 2 family members, I am not wanting to cause any issues or attack anyone)...the best thing we can do is be patient with everyone and the machines...Maxx I know exactly what you are talking about with every version prior to ME, XP is where I started having issues...most of the worst issues have been around since the os's were alpha's but these issues are considered minor issues deemed non essential to be fixed and thus patches are released to resolve these issues

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Before you all call me harsh ... just make sure you realize it's because you are reading it that way. Words are hard to convey emotion. Most of what I said there was meant in a more silly manner. Not to be rude, not to be harsh. Not to come off as abusive or what not. I mean seriously, I am getting tired of everyone taking things I say like as if I am telling a person to fuck off or something. That isn't what I am doing, so calm down.

I do understand that...that is the major downfall of my generation, they assume and don't question. My grandparents were born 1919 and my parents are "Baby Boomers" and my oldest sibling was born 1970 an I was born 1987. All we can do is try to correctly phrase things in our messages and let our readers know when we are joking that way we can avoid hard feelings.

MarchinBunny said:
How is it harsh? o_O
Also .. not it's not the fault of the OS. I can make a shitty program that runs terrible on Linux .. is that the fault of Linux? That makes no sense.

If it affects the whole system, then yes, that is a fault of Linux you are exploiting. Good luck doing that on OpenBSD. ^^;

You MIGHT be able to get away with a fork-bomb. But even that would be a bit tricky with OpenBSD's memory management.

Personally I couldn't get OpenBSD to work and had to reinstall my os for those who can get it to work, I say congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back