View Poll Results: *B/DL Behavior - Distinct and Unique, or Not?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • [DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA MET] Same as other behaviors in its classification.

0 0%
  • [DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA NOT MET] Same as other behaviors in its classification.

0 0%
  • [DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA MET] Different from other behaviors in its classification.

2 50.00%
  • [DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA NOT MET] Different from other behaviors in its classification.

1 25.00%
  • Other - please explain below

1 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *B/DL Behavior - Distinct Paraphilia, or Not?

Default *B/DL Behavior - Distinct Paraphilia, or Not?

Certain behaviors can, when meeting criteria, result in a diagnosis under the DSM.

Infantilism and DL are examples of two behaviors that fall in this category.

My question was this: is there something different about these behaviors that make them distinct from others in this category (Sexual and gender identity disorders, which includes Sexual Masochism, Sexual Sadism, Fetishes, Exhibitionism), or is it more likely that these are really the same and that the only thing that differs is the target or item surrounding the humiliation or fetish?

This question has research implications. If it is "different" than other behaviors, then there is a clear and compelling call for research specifically targeted to infantilism / DL behavior. However, if it is not "different" than other behaviors, then it would be reasonable to assume that knowledge and research gained from studying other behaviors could extend into this domain.

So:
    1. Insofar as non-diagnosable behaviors, is it more likely that infantilism/DL behaviors are more similar or dissimilar to other behaviors along the ICD-9 302 tree?
    2. When these behaviors are scaled up to diagnosable disorders, are these more similar or dissimilar to other diagnosable disorders along the ICD-9 302 tree?
    Last edited by h3g3l; 02-Apr-2009 at 04:22. Reason: Trying to clarify and simplify the OP.

You do realize that this thread will pass right overhead of the majority of the people on this forum, right?
    I personally find that Infantilism is actually much more of a lifestyle (much like being gay) than a sexual fetish, in most cases. I base this solely on the fact that, "some people want to come out of the closet" about their *B/DLness to people who are not considered their sexual partners. While other fetishes, (like water sports) you rarely ever hear about people telling their family/friends that they're into that. So I'd have to say that in some cases it may be a SGID, but in just the same way that homosexuality is a SGID.

Whatever the hell that means.
    Last edited by Jewbacca; 01-Apr-2009 at 03:03. Reason: making point.

Nope I don't meet it. I wear diapers and I can do anything in them.

Default Interest grouping

Actually, all paraphilias are grouped by interest and the absence of other conditions. This can cause confusion. A given mechanism might express itself differently in different individuals, which means that any given expression might be the result of different mechanisms in different individuals.

For example, a little over three years ago, an AB/DL tried to modify the Wikipedia article on infantilism to reflect her own condition. She had been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. Yes, she was an AB/DL, but she didn't have paraphilic infantilism. As a rule, symptoms more severe than diaper rash imply a condition that is more severe than either paraphilic infantilism or diaper fetishism. ( Since she didn't get her way on Wikipedia, she has been trying to spread misinformation about me from her 1,300-page website. If you don't already know who she is and want to, simply Google for 'BitterGrey.' )

As a side note, I would have thought DLs that met Criterion B would tend to be diagnosed with a diaper fetish (302.81). However, I could be wrong.

I voted other. For several reasons.

First, infantilism, DL, *B, are not always sexual. It isn't sexual for me.

Second even for those that it is sexual, it doesn't always interfere with their social life, work, or ability to operate in society. I wear diapers all the time, and yet hold down a job, have friends, and otherwise have a (mostly) normal life.

Third for some people it is a problem, and does interfere with their ability to function.

So the answer falls in with the person, not something written in a text.

I also have a serious problem with if falling under Sexual Masochism.

Quote Originally Posted by BitterGrey View Post
    As a side note, I would have thought DLs that met Criterion B would tend to be diagnosed with a diaper fetish (302.81). However, I could be wrong.
    Whoops. You win this round, multi-tasking!

*Sigh* I has a DSM but no longer browse it... Sure any fetish may be symptomatic of an underlying issue; the correlation might even be high. But a fetish all by itself is not a diagnosable condition unless... it is a problem. Being strung out on caffiene is in the DSM but obviously this, like many diagnoses is only there for the rare cases it accurately describes a case extreme enough to warrant a diagnosis. Infantilism, or dl-ism is a quirk, and provides opportunities for fun as much as anxiety. Extremes like full-time regression, or inability to relate to a human partner (say, if you've already married one) may indicate treatment would be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by BitterGrey View Post
    Actually, all paraphilias are grouped by interest and the absence of other conditions. This can cause confusion. A given mechanism might express itself differently in different individuals, which means that any given expression might be the result of different mechanisms in different individuals.

For example, a little over three years ago, an AB/DL tried to modify the Wikipedia article on infantilism to reflect her own condition. She had been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. Yes, she was an AB/DL, but she didn't have paraphilic infantilism. As a rule, symptoms more severe than diaper rash imply a condition that is more severe than either paraphilic infantilism or diaper fetishism. ( Since she didn't get her way on Wikipedia, she has been trying to spread misinformation about me from her 1,300-page website. If you don't already know who she is and want to, simply Google for 'BitterGrey.' )

I went, I googled, I saw. This woman is highly energetic, devoted to her cause(s,) determined, intelligent - and an utter wingnut - and I am going by her own self-description. I am sure she'll be reading this, and no doubt has swelled the ranks of haters-on-raccoons. Be that as it may. You know you stand accused... of being annoying. She has a whole amateurish page devoted to this, complete with a misinterpretation of harassment law. I'll let others google "bittergrey" to find it. Unfortunately though she states having been harassed she says nothing about how.
    Last edited by Raccoon; 01-Apr-2009 at 21:30.

Peachy

Can I have the executive's summary of this? I don't have the time to get a doctor's degree in psychology to take part in this poll

Peachy

Im not quite positive on which option to choose up there so ill post and based on what someone says ill pick it later. Anywhoo i think im going to say that in some cases it should fall under the DSM code 302.9. Only reason i say this is because of what i just read on this site:
    h++p://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/129307782-2/0/1243/109.html

So thats what i think, correct me if im wrong, which is highly possible

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Can I have the executive's summary of this? I don't have the time to get a doctor's degree in psychology to take part in this poll

Peachy
    Certain behaviors can, when meeting criteria, result in a diagnosis under the DSM.

Infantilism and DL are examples of two behaviors that fall in this category.

My question was this: is there something different about these behaviors that make them distinct from others in this category (Sexual and gender identity disorders, which includes Sexual Masochism, Sexual Sadism, Fetishes, Exhibitionism), or is it more likely that these are really the same and that the only thing that differs is the target or item surrounding the humiliation or fetish?

This question has research implications. If it is "different" than other behaviors, then there is a clear and compelling call for research specifically targeted to infantilism / DL behavior. However, if it is not "different" than other behaviors, then it would be reasonable to assume that knowledge and research gained from studying other behaviors could extend into this domain.

So:
    1. Insofar as non-diagnosable behaviors, is it more likely that infantilism/DL behaviors are more similar or dissimilar to other behaviors along the ICD-9 302 tree?
    2. When these behaviors are scaled up to diagnosable disorders, are these more similar or dissimilar to other diagnosable disorders along the ICD-9 302 tree?

I'll also put this summary in the OP.