Status
Not open for further replies.

PaciPilot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
My first legitimate attempt at aquascaping. It's a 2.5-gallon nano tank with a betta (who moves into a bigger tank when he grows a bit) and a cherry shrimp. What do you all think?

16427783_10211511757527027_930076982667926655_n.jpg

16388440_10211511757167018_5078290383589188376_n.jpg

16387004_10211512097255520_8739170578373209959_n.jpg

16427375_10211512235218969_7944013912655820298_n.jpg

I've never been big into maintaining an aquarium, but it looks cool. Would it be possible to put in more fish?

That is a nice set up for a Betta.

Are that type of shrimp fresh water?

Nice, love fishies.

Will he eat the shrimp though (which I didn't see)?

Trekker9527 said:
I've never been big into maintaining an aquarium, but it looks cool. Would it be possible to put in more fish?

Not with a betta in there. When he outgrows it, I'm putting about 6 brightly colored shrimp in there. Tanks this size are pretty low maintenance, and the shrimp+live plants make it even less maintenance. The plants out compete the algae for nutrients, and the shrimp eats fish dung. Gotta check water and do water changes every so often, but that takes 15 minutes. Also have to trim the plants once a week, another 10 minutes.

egor said:
That is a nice set up for a Betta.

Are that type of shrimp fresh water?

Freshwater, duh. A LOT of shrimp are freshwater. In fact, ghost shrimp, which are freshwater, are considered a cornerstone species in North America. Get rid of it, and the entire ecosystem might not recover.

Argent said:
Nice, love fishies.

Will he eat the shrimp though (which I didn't see)?

Shrimp is a bit too big for him to eat. If the shrimp didn't have a hard shell, I'd be concerned, but this combo has been tried several times before.

Did I see two Betas in the tank? They're also called Siamese Fighting Fish and they will fight each other, usually. Keep an eye on them and notice their fins. If the fins look shredded, you'll need to get another tank and separate them. I used to have a number of fish tanks including a 55 gallon tank. I had large Ciclids in that one including an alligator gar that was about a foot and a half in length.

dogboy said:
Did I see two Betas in the tank? They're also called Siamese Fighting Fish and they will fight each other, usually. Keep an eye on them and notice their fins. If the fins look shredded, you'll need to get another tank and separate them. I used to have a number of fish tanks including a 55 gallon tank. I had large Ciclids in that one including an alligator gar that was about a foot and a half in length.

That'd be a negative. Just a single half moon betta and a cherry shrimp.

I used to have a 37, a 70, a 40, a 5, and a 10

PaciPilot said:
That'd be a negative. Just a single half moon betta and a cherry shrimp.

I used to have a 37, a 70, a 40, a 5, and a 10

Then you definitely know what you're doing. If you had that many tanks, you may have gotten tired of cleaning and taking care of all of those tanks? That's what happened to me.

I've had a ten-gallon for ten years now (although I did buy a replacement tank a few years back). It has its ups and downs. Currently have three guppies and two zebra danios.

dogboy said:
Then you definitely know what you're doing. If you had that many tanks, you may have gotten tired of cleaning and taking care of all of those tanks? That's what happened to me.

That and a disaster that wiped out my prize winning Blue Crayfish and Royal Pleco.

I'm thinking about taking my 70 hex and putting 100 cardinal tetras in it with a spiral water flow... Gonna call it the Tetra Tornado.

KimbaStarshine said:
I've had a ten-gallon for ten years now (although I did buy a replacement tank a few years back). It has its ups and downs. Currently have three guppies and two zebra danios.

Three... Hundred? How are they not breeding like rabbits?

PaciPilot said:
That and a disaster that wiped out my prize winning Blue Crayfish and Royal Pleco.

I'm thinking about taking my 70 hex and putting 100 cardinal tetras in it with a spiral water flow... Gonna call it the Tetra Tornado.

Three... Hundred? How are they not breeding like rabbits?

I didn't say hundreds. Just three guppies, which are all male, and the two danios, which I believe are also male.

KimbaStarshine said:
I didn't say hundreds. Just three guppies, which are all male, and the two danios, which I believe are also male.

THAT makes sense. I had 10 guppies once. 1 month later I was feeding them by the handfull to my chiclids.

KimbaStarshine said:

Haha....I thought nature was supposed to find a way. (stolen from Jurassic Park)

dogboy said:
Haha....I thought nature was supposed to find a way. (stolen from Jurassic Park)

Those dirty little live bearers have been reported to change gender.

Argent said:
Those dirty little live bearers have been reported to change gender.

Kinky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back