Replacing a Plush you've had for your entire life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zillabrony13

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
  5. Little
*sighs* I....I think I'm going to have to replace Tyler. He's my bear blankie, I've had him since I was a baby, and he's beginning to fall apart. Anyone have advice on how best to do this? Should I get a plush that's just like him? Or should I get something completely different? Or just make due with my other plushies?

I wouldn't replace him. I'd just retire him from cuddling and holding too roughly. Set him on a shelf or somewhere he won't get hurt but you can still see him. Have you ever read the velveteen rabbit? He's been loved so much, he's probably real now. You can get a new plushie to love, but nothing can replace a plushie you've had and loved so long and so much.

Reactions: magnolia and KimbaFoxNatsume
I agree with olithecupcake, you shouldn't replace him, just put him somewhere safe where he won't be subject to further wear and tear. Maybe in a box too to help protect him.

I would suggest a replacement. Not to actually replace him though, but to give you something to be excited about at a time when you'll be a little sad. For that reason, I'd suggest getting something entirely new and different. That way, there's no sense of competition in your mind between new and old, just things changing a little bit.

Zillabrony13 said:
*sighs* I....I think I'm going to have to replace Tyler. He's my bear blankie, I've had him since I was a baby, and he's beginning to fall apart. Anyone have advice on how best to do this? Should I get a plush that's just like him? Or should I get something completely different? Or just make due with my other plushies?

Awww poor Tyler. I am sorry to hear about Tyler getting on a bit. I am sure you have plenty of memories together and Tyler has been there for you through thick and thin. You must be strong now though and put Tyler away in a very safe space, I will echo those above who say if you choose to replace make sure it is with a friend who is completely different. I may be tempted to write a little poem or story to reflect on all the great times I had had with Tyler to cherish the moment. You will forever be entwined but you must make room for a new friend. Best of luck, please let us know how it goes.

Choose carefully, make it a really special activity, and buy the best quality you can afford. That way you can be sure your new plush will be with you through many adventures. You will know when you've found your new friend.
Best of luck.

Last edited:
I also agree with olithecupcake. wonderful advice!!!!

Another option could be to have him made or "cloned"
There are plushie makers that can re-create your favourite plushie, or make a life size plush clone of your pet, and even make plush versions of ones fursona!
For example, check out http://m.cuddleclones.com/

I agree with everything said here. I had to put my Ducky away in a safe place for the same reason last year. He was too well loved to hold up anymore. Just like you there was no way I could just get rid of him, but I couldn't let him fall apart either. He now sits on special shelf above my bed for safe keeping. Someday I'll find someone I trust to repair him, but for now he's safe.

My wife still has her baby teddy bear, in a safe place, and we've kept our son's plushie, a Snoopy. He lives in our bedroom. My teddy bear is getting a bit worn. I've had him ever since I've been a 61 year old baby, not quite the same thing...sigh. My mom threw out my teddy bear when she decided I was too old for it.

Hi Zillabrony13,

I too like the retirement idea, great advice. Put him somewhere where you can see him everyday, that way he won't miss you too much. :)

I don't have the rabbit anymore that I had as a kid as it reminds me too much of bad memories but I bought myself Dufus, who's a cuddly little honey bear, about 11 years ago. After some time I realised that he was suffering from some wear & tear, I still sleep with him every night. So I went & found another one, which I'm saving for when the original Dufus starts going that way. He'll never be replaced but I have Dufus Jr, just in case. But that's totally up to how you feel & whether you can even find another one somewhere. Best of luck!

BTW, my Mum still has the rabbit. His name is Boing Boing.

starpup, like the clone idea too. It's another great option.

I'm about to sound out of my mind, but I want to share this story about losing a very special plushie when I was younger:

When I was younger, I had this stuffed pig, appropriately named Piggy. I have OCD, and it was really bad when I was younger, and I carried Piggy everywhere I went because if my anxiety got too bad, or if I started having a panic attack, usually petting him or smelling him calmed me down.

One day, the unthinkable happened, and I LOST PIGGY! I was a complete wreck for just days.

My mom, my actual mom, made up this fake "reincarnation spell". No we weren't Wiccans, teehee, but she made up this "spell", and got me a new pig just like my old one and performed it on him. I was maybe ten or eleven, and I knew better than to believe in magic. But, it honest to goodness made me feel better, and after that I liked the new pig almost as much as the old one.

Anyway,crazy story over. Lol. It's not really a suggestion, hehe. But, if you're little side believes in magic maybe you can make a new plushie feel more like the old one. Also, I agree with everyone and DEFINITELY wouldn't throw away the old one. I still have my tattered pig. ^.^

Greeniebell said:
I was maybe ten or eleven, and I knew better than to believe in magic.

Sounds like pretty real magic to me. She cast a spell and it made you feel better. We get hung up on the special effects budget, but the world is full of the more subtle kind of magic that your mom tapped into there. ;)

ArchieRoni said:
Sounds like pretty real magic to me. She cast a spell and it made you feel better. We get hung up on the special effects budget, but the world is full of the more subtle kind of magic that your mom tapped into there. ;)

Thank you! That made me smile!

Put the old one in a plastic case to protect him and keep him still and then buy another one.

Greeniebell said:
I had this stuffed pig, appropriately named Piggy.
i named my gold fish goldy, my hermit crab hermy, my plush arcade snake snakey, my large tedy bear is named big bear, my stuffed dog is named doggy, guess what i named my first teddy bear? something tells me i would make a good astronomer.

Hi.

What ever you do don't get read of you stuffy.

I had Guss for year's. Even when I was trying to fit in with with everyone else. I had Guss. Even though he was falling apart.

But one day I had a clear out and I decided to give him to the chat shop, telling myself that another boy will love him the same.

I don't think that happen he kind of need some attention and restuffing.

Then I won't him back I could not get a replacement.

I got Peter Rabit now and he come with me just like Guss use to.

You will never replace them only have a new one.

I sergesed that you send you stuffy to hospital the link below.

http://www.teddybeardoctor.co.uk

They take good care of your stuffie and you get them back all better and ready for hugging and loving.

Siysiy

i cant really say ive had 1 PLushie my entire life i tended to get too many Plushies just to pick one so i would have like 2 in my school backpack going to school and maybe 1 in my hand if i could sneak it by my Foster mother. but i know what its like to have to retire a friend the saddest 1 i remember i had to retire was a Squirtle Plushie my Aunt knitted for me when i was 9 Years old and absolutely obsessed with pokemon still am but thats another story. what i normally do is make a small Wooden Box to put the retired one in and hang him up on my Wall so they can still watch over me when im sleeping or playing. but on the other topic of replacing im no good i tend to impulse buy PLushies which acumulate on my playfloor or bed :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back