Is my imagination weirdly specific?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpAzpieSweeTot

Daddy's girl through and through! Understood?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I don't know if this should be a regular forum post, or a blog, but since I'm directly asking for input, here goes. As a kid, I feel like I needed help gaining access to my imagination. Luckily for me, there were shows with either puppets, costumed characters, or just real kids acting, to help me do that. I liked Sesame Street, The Muppets, Dinosaurs, Eureka's Castle, Gullah Gullah Island, Allegra's Window, MMC, Kids Incorporated, Power Rangers, Out of the Box, The Puzzle Place, In Between the Lions, Reading Rainbow, the 2 Carman San Diego series on PBS, Bear in the Big Blue House, Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood, Oobi, Welcome to Pooh Corner, Adventures in Wonderland, Under the Umbrella Tree, Keeno's Storytime, a few others, and, of course, the obligatory Barney. Anyone notice a tangibility theme? It's almost as if having one foot in the physical world helps me, "buy in." If I watched anything animated, my preference was, and still is, stop motion, or as I got older, 2D animation, like Animaniacs, Garfield and Friends, peanuts, Schoolhouse Rock, Rocko, Ren and Stimpy, and a few others

Even now, it effects the shows I like. I liked Creature Shop Challenge, Whodunnit, and The Quest. I hope Face/Off comes on again. I usually hate Disney Prencess. Why? Princess is a real thing; that's why! I loved the live action Cinderella, and Pan.

I have a few questions. Does anyone else's imagination work like mine? It's almost like I couldn't, "buy into," cartoons until later.

Why are similar shows so difficult to find now?

Does anyone know of anymore that are similar, and current?

How can I own as many of the old ones I mentioned as possible?

Last edited:
I always had a good imagination as a kid and I think it has something to do with why I can regress so easily as an adult. I did watch a lot of TV as a kid and got a lot of my ideas from shows. I also was an only child so I had to entertain myself, so that may be another reason. I actually talked about this in my story "Coffee Shop" which is posted to the story forum on ADISC.

A lot of my childhood I spent tinkering with things. Taking everything apart to see how they work. I also played a lot of games. Didn't do a whole lot of imagining. I do like roleplaying which tends to require it, but I do certainly consider myself bad at it to a degree. But I can also come up with stories x.x ... so I don't really know. The issue is I can't think of a way to quanitfiy it and compare.

Uhmmm... nope I had the opposite problem.

I have a real hard time with faces, telling people apart, so I gravitated to cartoons. I could remember all different kinds of cartoons and planes and stuff, and now I can even tell apart different artists drawing the same cartoon character, but I still have a tough time with real people...

AdorableRabbit said:
Uhmmm... nope I had the opposite problem.

I have a real hard time with faces, telling people apart, so I gravitated to cartoons. I could remember all different kinds of cartoons and planes and stuff, and now I can even tell apart different artists drawing the same cartoon character, but I still have a tough time with real people...

Ya, I am pretty much the same, although I am alright at recognizing and telling people apart. But it's certainly easier with cartoons. Also, being able to tell the artist's style is also pretty much second nature for me by now.

I've also had a wildly vivid and creative imagination with an innate sense of curiosity so I can honestly say I've never been bored. However I do agree that TV shows and characters often spurred my imagination. I think it's fairly common for little kids to emulate influential or interesting characters.

My imagination has been a great coping method for me enabling me to culture personas to help mix in situations that I'd otherwise find way too anxious. My many masks. It's interesting, but I rarely carry relationships from outside environments to my personal life, probably because it's so much work keeping up the personas ☹️
But that's ok cause I'm quite happy with my own company and my imagination.
I agree with dogboy that a vivid imagination is a great asset in regression.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
If I watched anything animated, my preference was, and still is, stop motion...

Hmmm. I was just wonderin' ... if stop motion does the same kinda thing for you as puppets, how do you feel about some of the new CG shows that look like they're really stop motion? Like did you see the new Little Prince movie? It's gonna make you bawl, but it's really good. Also Tumble Leaf on Amazon looks like stop motion to me ... but I think it's actually CG.

Ah... it's the opposite and totally cartoon and surreal, but Sarah and Duck is my favorite show right now. It's like the opposite of real ... everything seems really normal, but is just slightly ...strange. I think it's so soothing and relaxing tho' ... I think for me, the way it's just a little weird and surreal actually helps my adult side stay interested and be tickled by the whimsey, so my little side can take over and be fascinated by a show that's just the daily routine of a small child.

Oh, and I remembered a few more. How could I have forgotten Dumbo's Circus, The Secret Life of Toys, and Fraggle Rock?! I like Theodore Tugboat, and the old Thomas the Tank Engine. Brits might remember Brum, and Fire Man Sam, and Shirly Homes. Thank goodness for British Little brothers! By the way, mine needs to stop speed reading, because he made me look silly typing the same thing twice!:lol::huglove:
AdorableRabbit said:
Hmmm. I was just wonderin' ... if stop motion does the same kinda thing for you as puppets, how do you feel about some of the new CG shows that look like they're really stop motion? Like did you see the new Little Prince movie? It's gonna make you bawl, but it's really good. Also Tumble Leaf on Amazon looks like stop motion to me ... but I think it's actually CG.

Ah... it's the opposite and totally cartoon and surreal, but Sarah and Duck is my favorite show right now. It's like the opposite of real ... everything seems really normal, but is just slightly ...strange. I think it's so soothing and relaxing tho' ... I think for me, the way it's just a little weird and surreal actually helps my adult side stay interested and be tickled by the whimsey, so my little side can take over and be fascinated by a show that's just the daily routine of a small child.

I remember Liking Little Bill, even though it wasn't stop motion, because of something about the way it was animated, and I really like Crashbox and The Electric Company on HBO Family. I'll check out Sarah Duck, and Tumble Leaf.

- - - Updated - - -
Oh my gosh, AdorableRabbit! How?! How'd you get so awesome?! I watched a behind the scenes of Tumble Leaf, and guess what! It's stop motion! (Happy girly squeal. I wanna jump up and down, but I can't stand up by myself, so I'd fall down go boom, but, here,:huglove::huglove::huglove::huglove:, and The Little Prince. . . Well, it's official! You're amazing!

Last edited:
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Oh my gosh, AdorableRabbit! How?! How'd you get so awesome?! I watched a behind the scenes of Tumble Leaf, and guess what! It's stop motion! (Happy girly squeal. I wanna jump up and down, but I can't stand up by myself, so I'd fall down go boom, but, here,:huglove::huglove::huglove::huglove:, and The Little Prince. . . Well, it's official! You're amazing!

YAY! I'm so happy you liked them! Let's go watch cartoons together!
*HUUUUUUUUUUGS*

I wonder why, when that, "puppetry/costume/real people/Stop Motion," box gets checked, it's like, "headspace warp drive.

I remember liking Little Bill
Yeah, and I figured out why. It's done in the Construction Paper Stop Motion Animation style. That's so funny.:lol: I guess my fancy has a very few ticklish spots. Anyone else's? What checks everybody else's, "imagination boxes," thus sending them into, "headspace warp drive?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back