Laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
Guys and girls, I bought myself a second hand laptop, so I don't end up dying in here.

So I've got a spare stick of 4GB, laptop comes with 2GB + Extra slot, so I'm going to slap it in there so it becomes 6GB, so I'll be happy.

It's a Asus Eee Pc 1215B Laptop.

Asus Eee Pc 1215B Laptop

2GB RAM
AMD C-60 APU @1GHz
300GB HDD
Windows

It seems to be a bit damaged on the on the screen frame, so I'll replace the screen frame, it's awesome cause there are tons of parts for it online so I'll order more parts if the thing dies. (someone broke the god damn plastic off the hinge, I'm a bit oCD when it comes to that.

Scored it for $50, It's a fucking bargon :D I'm so happy, hopefully it works when I get it lol, looks like it works and has been tested, so if it's just a shitty battery I'll get a replacement online.

So yeah, now I can go travel around without dying all the time. :) yay.

I'm gonna wipe the hard drive when I get it, just in case, never know who had it last, could of been a pedo, gonna update it to windows 10 home, and hopefully it ends up genuine.

Might even get a couple laptop batteries for it.

I know it may be shit, but it'll do the job for me, if i really have to I could just setup teamviewer or something, and control my pc via that.

Last edited:
Well, I hope that all goes smoothly for you. I think Windows 10 is a good choice, since I've never had any problems with it, and it's the newest Windows version anyway.

PaddedPuppy said:
The AMD C-60 Processor really isn't up to much. I had one in an old laptop (Asus X501u), and when running Windows 8 at the time, it just got incredibly hot, so slow, couldn't multitask and even things like basic YouTube or Netflix playback were somewhat choppy.

I put xubuntu on in the end. Made the laptop usable at least, but was still so underwhelming. With Linux on there, if you want to browse the web, type something up, or chat with friends its fine, as long as you only do one thing at a time, and don't expect anything like games or even HD video playback.

Yeah I'm planning on putting lubuntu on it once I get it :p and upgrading the ram to 6GB

I have two Asus Eee PC's myself.. mine are 1018P's. Yep, old school. ^^;; But I really love them. One of the details I really like is that the built-in webcam has a physical shutter switch, which at least for me, makes me feel a lot more like I have some guaranteed privacy.

Sapphyre said:
I have two Asus Eee PC's myself.. mine are 1018P's. Yep, old school. ^^;; But I really love them. One of the details I really like is that the built-in webcam has a physical shutter switch, which at least for me, makes me feel a lot more like I have some guaranteed privacy.

Dad had the same one, they were terrible performance wise, but a nice little laptop :D (well one with the same processor)

Binary said:
Dad had the same one, they were terrible performance wise, but a nice little laptop :D

They are a little under-powered. I wish they were more upgradeable. ^^; I still have a Windows partition on one of them, but the other one is completely OpenBSD now. I just love the overall style and design.

Finally got it in the mail, windows 10 doesn't work, so after a lot of testing i slapped in lubuntu. the leightwaitest distro that i'm familiar with.

I really need to give something that isn't debain a try one day, owell this makes a nice development and web surthing machine.

it seems the power on hours isn't that much, 12 days, so it seems it's only been used for 12 days. well this is a bargon.

Last edited:
Nice! I still have an Asus EEE 901. It's slow, but it's so small that it's great

I tried running Windows XP on it, but it was completely unusable. I put Arch Linux on it and it works nicely. Just about. Linux can really breathe some extra life into low-spec hardware!

Now get out of that furnace and sit in the cool, fresh shade! :2thumbsup:

Nice, a while ago I bought myself a ThinkPad T60 really cheaply on ebay. One of the best laptops I've ever owned, they're built very well and the keyboards are amazing too. Mine is one of the lowest end models they offered back in 2006 and it still performs well, it has a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM, and a 160GB hard drive. I plan on upgrading the CPU with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo and hopefully getting a higher resolution display panel if I can find one cheaply. Only thing I'm stuck with is the sucky Intel GMA 950 series integrated graphics chip which only has 64MB of dedicated graphics RAM >_< But even that's ok for most basic things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back