Best to reduce my thighs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokiyomi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I want to lose some weight and I want to reduce the fat of my thighs because they are very thick, I don't have money to pay a subscription in a gym and for the moment I'm running/walking 3 miles per day but I wanted to know if some of you knows a better way to reduce the fat of my thighs or if walking is a good way to do this :sad::laugh::smile:

There is no way to lose fat in a specific area as far as I am aware XD. Your only option is cardio exercises, pretty much anything that raises your heart rate, like walking, jogging, swimming, bike riding etc. Should be done for about 20 minutes and 3 times a week at least. Obviously a diet would also help I would imagine. :p

It's 90% diet. Boiled chicken breast, sauerkraut and salad greens.

Of course exercise helps in loads of ways but the fat still reduces all around your body rather that just areas you might work intensively.

I am considering Duromine to reduce my hunger.

Last edited:
Speaking from experience, it seems as though you end up first burning off the fat from your arms and gut, then the lower leg areas, but in the end you always end up needing to take care of the thighs/rear. It gets pretty annoying.

I would suggest not to lose of your thighs. Thick thighs are beautiful!

Maxx said:
Correct, although the 20 minutesx3 is a pop-fitness fiction. For general fitness purposes, an hour a day of hard aerobic exercise is pretty much the minimum. If you want to impact your weight without having to think much about counting calories, more is better. Lots more.

Fat is stored fuel. Getting rid of it is conceptually simple, not so easy in execution. Either take in less fuel, or burn more fuel than you take in via activity. Fat is a relatively efficient, dense method of storing excess fuel (calories), so its not something you can change quickly. If fat went away quickly and easily, we wouldn't be here because our ancestors would've starved to death during lean times.

A pound of fat is the equivalent of about 3500 calories. Walking is good, but its not the best. Figure roughly 100 calories burned per mile. More if you're larger, of course. Think back to basic physics... it takes more energy to move 200lbs than it does 120 lbs. A Ford Fiesta goes farther on a gallon of gas than a Cadillac Escalade. As you can see, that's an awful lot of walking to have any measurable effect. Again, walking is very good for a lot of reasons, if you devote sufficient time to it.

The best exercises in descending order of calories burned per hour:

1. Running
2. Cycling
3. swimming

I won't put numbers to it because there are so many other variables.

I could write a book...

One last note: Exercising a specific set of muscles or specific body part strengthens those muscles, but has no direct effect on the overlaying fat in that area. Cycling or squats in the weight room aren't going to do anything about fat on your thighs and butt. When you lose weight, the fat comes off more or less evenly from all over your body. You don't get to pick which fat goes first. It takes time. You can't expect to see any difference in days or even weeks.

OK, one more: If you have wider than average pelvic structure, there may be limits to what you can do. Mrs. Maxx has wide hips. She can starve and exercise down to 10% body fat, and they're still going to be wide. It tends to make her upper thighs look bigger than they are. (Fine with me, BTW)

=^.^= ... Thanks for the information and the corrections, Maxx. I need to start losing some weight myself, so it's very helpful to know what needs to be done.

swimbutterfly22 said:
I would suggest not to lose of your thighs. Thick thighs are beautiful!

I know and I like them (sometimes) but I want to reduce them because sometimes when I want to wear my goodnites the sides break and I hate that so much :(

Maxx said:
Correct, although the 20 minutesx3 is a pop-fitness fiction. For general fitness purposes, an hour a day of hard aerobic exercise is pretty much the minimum.

Got a source on that one?

I agree with everything else though. Few things I'd add from my personal experience:

- Get a regiment going. Have a specific schedule with specific goals, record your progress, etc. It's advice everyone hears and most ignore, but (at least for me) when I started tracking my progress over time and doing the same things consistently rather than just kinda winging it, I started seeing real progress. Don't just go for a run, try to run faster than last week, or for longer at the same pace. Always be trying to improve.

- Look into interval training. Most research seems to indicate that it's effective and generally better for you than steady state cardio (thinking being that if you just run at a steady pace for an hour every day, your body just gets very efficient at running).

- Jump rope. Looks easy, but maintaining a decent pace with a jump rope for an extended period of time is actually an intense workout and burns a lot of calories. It also does a lot for your coordination and stability.

- Try to get into a sport. Find a local "for fun" group in your area. Much easier to motivate yourself to go play floor hockey then go jog for an hour.

- Everything in moderation, and don't over think things. If your goal isn't to be a professional athlete, I feel you don't really have to concern yourself with all the minutia. If you spend any length of time researching nutrition, you quickly find there is a mountain of (mostly conflicting) data and ideas, but the age old wisdom of "eat healthier, get more exercise" really does work, and really is that simple. Just try to eat a variety of generally healthy food and get some exercise and you'll probably be fine.

O I see, but maybe trying to get bigger nappies is an easier solution than shrinking your thighs. As long as you can't get bigger ones maybe it's best to use stickytape on the sides?

Maxx said:
LOL. At least you have your priorities straight!

Ye, I know, I'm a little weird with my priorities:sweatdrop::detective3:rolleyes:

swimbutterfly22 said:
O I see, but maybe trying to get bigger nappies is an easier solution than shrinking your thighs. As long as you can't get bigger ones maybe it's best to use stickytape on the sides?

Well the problem is that in my country the majority of the diapers size are medium to extra large, and the medium are to big for me, and the few ones that are sold in a small size, are from two tapes and I can't close the second tape because of my thighs, and no diapers are sold with only one big tape like the in the diapers for babies :sad::frown:

Maxx said:
Well, yeah. Me, and pretty much any athlete you care to ask.

I think we've got different definitions of "general fitness". I generally think of general fitness as being of healthy weight, healthy body fat percentage, and being able to run up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath. You're definition seems a lot closer to that of being an athlete.

The CDC is about halfway between me and the 3x20.

They specify "2 hours and 30 minutes (150 minutes) of moderate-intensity aerobic activity" but then they define that as "brisk walking". Later on down the page they say "1 hour and 15 minutes (75 minutes) of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity" (which works out to around 3x30) where they define vigorous-intensity aerobic activity as "jogging or running". Their definitions seem wonky to me (I wouldn't define brisk walking as "moderate intensity"), but their bottom line more or less aligns with the long quoted 3x30 of decently intense exercise to maintain general good health.

Edit: If you're just starting a fitness-weight loss program, any weight loss the first couple of months has to come mostly from calorie restriction, until you develop the cardiovascular capacity to go harder and longer with your workouts.

I think most weight loss advice centers on calorie reduction for this reason. Realistically by the time you work up to being physically capable of burning a significant portion of calories through exercise alone, you're probably approaching a healthy weight anyway, and it's a lot easier to eat 500 calories less food then burn off 500 calories running. It's still worth doing the 3x30 (or whatever you can) because it comes with a lot of health benefits, but I think weight loss is best done in the kitchen not the gym. Once you lose the weight, keeping up on the exercise is a good way to keep it off for the reasons you said.

Athletes of every stripe have been doing intervals for thousands of years. They have benefits, and limitations, same as steady-state running, swimming or cycling. You can't do intervals every day. If you're doing it right, you need recovery days in between where you do something else or you'll just end up injured.

This comes back to our definition of "general fitness". If you're aiming to approach athlete level fitness, then yeah it's probably just one of many tools in your training arsenal. If you're only doing 3x30 though, I think HIIV (even the watered down version us more sedentary types follow) is a good way to maximize those 30 minutes.

Man, just thinking about all that exercise is wearing me out. I think I'll opt for the liposuction so I can stay on my couch the rest of the time.

Tokiyomi said:
Ye, I know, I'm a little weird with my priorities:sweatdrop::detective3:rolleyes:

Well the problem is that in my country the majority of the diapers size are medium to extra large, and the medium are to big for me, and the few ones that are sold in a small size, are from two tapes and I can't close the second tape because of my thighs, and no diapers are sold with only one big tape like the in the diapers for babies :sad::frown:

Well Tokiyomi it looks like you've got yourself a diaper dilemma right now :confused:. Ordering the right size online would be an option but that might be hard when you're living with your parents.
I think excersize is good for your health but I'm not sure if you'll get significantly smaller thighs from that. Maybe it runs in your family to have thick thighs. What about your mother or other family members? If they also have them you'll probably always have thick thighs. Though it might be impractical, it's beautiful!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back