Who hates swearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slomo said:
Swearing isn't a direct relation to anger, it's relation is to emotion. We are emotional beings, and swearing helps us to convey those emotions quickly and effectively.

Using swear words- periodically- is a sign of intelligence as we are using them as a means to enhance our communication.
Correct! ....? .... or ... Well, sort of o_O? ... err ...Not entirely. Sorry, nope. :p

However, like with most anything, doing it too often is a sign of of the exact opposite.
Not Correct! In fact, this entirely smells like shit. If I was allergic to bullshit, I would be dead right now because of you. These are X's on my face see! X.X ... <---- I am dead. Dead!

When ever I hear someone using swear words excessively I let them know this little tidbit. I then tell them their stupidity is showing most every time thereafter. I find it quite effective to get most people to cut back on swearing in a matter of days or a week at the most.
Well, I hate to break it to you, telling them their stupidity is showing when you are wrong is pretty fucking funny. XD Oh the sweet sweet irony of it. You should be happy I am pointing this out to you so you don't make a fool of yourself in the future by coming across someone who actually read the damned study and decides to point out your mistakes in front of a ton of people after calling them stupid.

Now you might be wondering how you are wrong. It's really quite simple actually. There has been no study done to show that there is some sort of line in the swearing department where it becomes "too much" and mysteriously makes the person stupid nor has there been a study to show a person who swears is more intelligent. In fact, the study that was done only suggested that those with a larger vocabulary where more capable of coming up with more swear words in a short period of time. So what was proved exactly? Those with a larger vocabulary have a larger vocabulary *claps* .... bravo! Great study! 10/10

So really people who use swear words do not necessarily have less of a vocabulary. So at least one myth is busted lol. But I mean, who is really surprised by this?

What happened to you my friend is you fell for the click bait news headlines and listened to those shitty reporters who couldn't even tell you where their ass is located.

Anyway, .... don't believe me? Have a read. *whispers* No worries it's a whole lot more trustworthy than where you learned this false information.
https://skeptoid.com/blog/2016/06/07/are-people-who-swear-more-intelligent/

Edit: Just in case it wasn't obvious this post contains a lot of jokes ... it isn't meant to be rude toward anyone specifically here. In fact most of the jokes are against the crappy reporters, click bait titles and misinformation. Not against a person. Rather, only a small part of it am I giving Slomo a bit of a hard time because he claimed to tell others their stupidity is showing. Also .. the cursing in the post is suppose to be a joke to, cause the thread is about cursing.

I am sorry if the post was misunderstood or taken as me trying to be rude.

Last edited:
MarchinBunny said:
Correct! ....? .... or ... Well, sort of o_O? ... err ...Not entirely. Sorry, nope. :p

Not Correct! In fact, this entirely smells like shit. If I was allergic to bullshit, I would be dead right now because of you. These are X's on my face see! X.X ... <---- I am dead. Dead!

Well, I hate to break it to you, telling them their stupidity is showing when you are wrong is pretty fucking funny. XD Oh the sweet sweet irony of it. You should be happy I am pointing this out to you so you don't make a fool of yourself in the future by coming across someone who actually read the damned study and decides to point out your mistakes in front of a ton of people after calling them stupid.

Now you might be wondering how you are wrong. It's really quite simple actually. There has been no study done to show that there is some sort of line in the swearing department where it becomes "too much" and mysteriously makes the person stupid nor has there been a study to show a person who swears is more intelligent. In fact, the study that was done only suggested that those with a larger vocabulary where more capable of coming up with more swear words in a short period of time. So what was proved exactly? Those with a larger vocabulary have a larger vocabulary *claps* .... bravo! Great study! 10/10

So really people who use swear words do not necessarily have less of a vocabulary. So at least one myth is busted lol. But I mean, who is really surprised by this?

What happened to you my friend is you fell for the click bait news headlines and listened to those shitty reporters who couldn't even tell you where their ass is located.

Anyway, .... don't believe me? Have a read. *whispers* No worries it's a whole lot more trustworthy than where you learned this false information.
https://skeptoid.com/blog/2016/06/07/are-people-who-swear-more-intelligent/

Practically this in a nut shell, though that being said, some of the smartest people i know, happen to swear a lot, while the dumber people tend to be "scared of swearing", but at the same time i've met some pretty stupid people who swear all the time. by smart I mean people like engineers, and programmers. that alone doesn't make someone smart, but a person who has a good understanding of something, in my books classes as smart, even scientists I see as "smart", though most people love to slap the term "smart" onto people who love to use buzz words. Smart in my own views is someone who has a good knowledge of a specific field and is able to apply that knowledge, a person who knows how to repair circuit boards is smart, while a person who only watches soap opera all the time in my eyes is dumb.

Swearing alone isn't a sign of being smart or stupid, just more of a personality thing, infact the whole idea of "being scared" of swearing grinds my gears It's more of a imo a person being self centred.

Reminds of me of someone who doesn't like to talk about death or terrorism, and avoids such topics, why?? if you limit or censor your world view because it makes you happy, than i've got bad news for you.

Swearing is one of those things that people love to make fuss over, people seem to be more concerned about swearing, rather than real problems, such as people dying from curable illnesses in 3rd world countries. to me swearing isn't that much of a big deal, because there are "REAL problems in the world" that i would rather worry about, over something as stupid as someone saying a bunch of "naughty words"

If you don't like to swear fine that's your choice, but if you go around telling people not to swear, it's kind of stupid in my personal opinion, even censorship on television is stupid, I understand censoring body parts like vaginas and penises on television, but censoring words is kind of pathetic. Like literally i'm more concerned that i could die at any second, over someone swearing :p

(pps obviously i'm pro free speech)

I should also add, that i've come across people who and articles that make out "the internet is making everyone dumber" but in reality, It's only a tool, and you could say the same about books, it's not X but it's the person, a dumb person who uses the internet, is going to get dumber, while a smarter person will get smarter, you rarely see someone like mark zuckerburg use the internet, than become a brain dead zombie. (or share around anti-vaccine nonsense) if you're not smart enough to know how to use a medium or research information, obviously you're going to come across shit like alex jones, and start blabbering on about it like its fact.

Saying that swearing is a sign of intelligence, is a lot like saying well only dumb people are criminals, the smart ones, you rarely hear about.

That's just my two cents :D i don't mean any offense by this.

Also, the whole "scared of swearing" or don't swear thing, is mostly a social thing, a lot like how people used to get told off for eating with there arms on the table, there was a time where being gay wasn't socially acceptable, eventually time passes and things change, maybe in 20 years swearing will be seen as normal.

Last edited:
I actually could believe to some degree that smarter people swear more because of the limitation of words commonly known to express certain things.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Binary said:

Yeps, I agree with everything you said here. I also have a bit of an issue with those who seem to be so firm swearing being something bad. It really isn't. They are simply words, nothing more. I am also not a big fan when people decide to replace the words just to avoid saying the actual word, like as if it the new word they put in place is better when we all know what they meant XD.

Like you want to say what the fuck but instead, say what the truck or some crap like that. It's still technically saying fuck because that is what was meant by it XD. Changing the word doesn't change the meaning. Since the meaning didn't change all that happened is the person changed truck into a bad word lmao.

I don't know ... it's weird to me. I like swearing. Although I tend to avoid it out in public or if I am around other people who are just acquaintances, just to be polite. But around family and friends ... cursing to me is sperfectly acceptable. Don't like it? Tough shit XD.

I mean look at it this way. Could you imagine someone saying, cursing takes me our of little space ... so can you please not curse? Ok .. well if we are respecting each other's wishes ... then you playing with your toys takes me out of adult space, so can you please not play with your toys? This is why it's better to learn to just deal with these sort of things even if you dislike it. Because they have just as much right to enjoy themselves as you do. If cursing is enjoyable to them, being a party pooper and telling them you don't like it to me is just setting yourself up for them to tell you what they don't like.

Tetra said:
I actually could believe to some degree that smarter people swear more because of the limitation of words commonly known to express certain things.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

It's a bit difficult because it depends on what you want to consider smart. If you consider those with a wider range of vocabulary smart, then sure ... those who use curse word in a wide varity likely also have a wide range of vocabulary. So you could consider that smart. I don't know if knowing a lot of vocabulary itself can be seen as being smart though in my opinion. I think I would call that knowledgable rather than smart.

I use to swear a lot when I was younger. I picked up the habit when I started my first job everyone was swear a lot. after I left that job it took a long time to stop swearing. now I it vary rare that swear. I find it like a bad habit and I have to think about not swearing when I get up set.

MarchinBunny said:
Yeps, I agree with everything you said here. I also have a bit of an issue with those who seem to be so firm swearing being something bad. It really isn't. They are simply words, nothing more. I am also not a big fan when people decide to replace the words just to avoid saying the actual word, like as if it the new word they put in place is better when we all know what they meant XD.

Like you want to say what the fuck but instead, say what the truck or some crap like that. It's still technically saying fuck because that is what was meant by it XD. Changing the word doesn't change the meaning. Since the meaning didn't change all that happened is the person changed truck into a bad word lmao.

I don't know ... it's weird to me. I like swearing. Although I tend to avoid it out in public or if I am around other people who are just acquaintances, just to be polite. But around family and friends ... cursing to me is sperfectly acceptable. Don't like it? Tough shit XD.

I mean look at it this way. Could you imagine someone saying, cursing takes me our of little space ... so can you please not curse? Ok .. well if we are respecting each other's wishes ... then you playing with your toys takes me out of adult space, so can you please not play with your toys? This is why it's better to learn to just deal with these sort of things even if you dislike it. Because they have just as much right to enjoy themselves as you do. If cursing is enjoyable to them, being a party pooper and telling them you don't like it to me is just setting yourself up for them to tell you what they don't like.

It's a bit difficult because it depends on what you want to consider smart. If you consider those with a wider range of vocabulary smart, then sure ... those who use curse word in a wide varity likely also have a wide range of vocabulary. So you could consider that smart. I don't know if knowing a lot of vocabulary itself can be seen as being smart though in my opinion. I think I would call that knowledgable rather than smart.
I don't tell them I don't like it, I just cringe! It's as cringy as somebody going on about their trip to the toilet or changing their diaper in full detail!

- - - Updated - - -

Well marchinbunny, what are as in status? (Ab, little, dl)? It would help you put down what you are so I have more of an idea what your lifestyle is like

- - - Updated - - -

That way, I can see how you procieve things

You've obviously misunderstood what I said. That study backs up what I said, nit contradicting it.

I did not say smarter people swear more, in fact I said the exact opposite. And being able to come up with more swear words is helpful if you swear more often- true, but this does not have the same correlation to swearing most of the time versus not swearing at all. That study also points out dumber people swear the most, not that they just swear.

You've twisted what I said and contradicted the same study you yourself linked. May I suggest you go back and actually read both of them.....

Angelic said:
I don't tell them I don't like it, I just cringe! It's as cringy as somebody going on about their trip to the toilet or changing their diaper in full detail!

- - - Updated - - -

Well marchinbunny, what are as in status? (Ab, little, dl)? It would help you put down what you are so I have more of an idea what your lifestyle is like

- - - Updated - - -

That way, I can see how you procieve things

Well, I updated my settings, should be visible now. Just in case it isn't though, I am AB/DL/Little/BF/DF/IC.

Slomo said:
You've obviously misunderstood what I said. That study backs up what I said, nit contradicting it.

No, it does not. I suggest you actually read the study itself, not any sort of report on the study. There is nothing to misunderstand here, you are just plain wrong according to the study itself.

I did not say smarter people swear more, in fact I said the exact opposite.

I didn't say that either. The study that exists doesn't even prove any swearing at all makes a person more intelligent. The frequency of swearing was not even studied.Also .. saying the exact opposite would be just as wrong anyway. So I don't really see what you are trying to prove here.

And being able to come up with more swear words is helpful if you swear more often- true, but this does not have the same correlation to swearing most of the time versus not swearing at all.

Swearing has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence at all. There is no study that suggests this. I will repeat myself, there is no study that suggests this.

That study also points out dumber people swear the most, not that they just swear.
No, it does not. I would be interested in you linking this so called study since you seem to think it exists. I can assure you it does not or you didn't read it.

You've twisted what I said and contradicted the same study you yourself linked. May I suggest you go back and actually read both of them.....

No .. I didn't twist anything on what you said. You just fell for click-bait titles that go around on social media like the vast majority of people do. Again, there is no study that exists that say anything you have said. You can tell me to go back and read it, but I already have read it ... several times actually and that is how I know you are wrong. How about you go and read it again, and maybe even link your source to prove it says what you think it says.

Also .. how did I contradict the study I posted? .. I didn't even post the study till this post. XD The first link wasn't even the study.

Edit:
Also ... here is the study that was done.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S038800011400151X

Edit 2:
I am also going to assume you didn't even read the first link I posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this thread is filled with very sensitive people, but I just have to say, whether I come across as smart or dumb, I fucking love swearing.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Not always.

I swear a lot and I don't like it. I have a 20 month old son so I'm really trying to start to reign it in. My wife will kill me if jr. drops an F bomb.

instead of saying f*** I say Frick Frack, or freaking ~ it seems much more sensible kind of.... And sh** goes into shoot or sheet. Just add more a e I o us in there :9

I think it is situational.

As I have a university degree, in a recognized profession, with distinction, I don't think lack of intelligence explains my swearing.

I paid my way through school doing construction labor and landscaping.

Likely said a few f-bombs.

Living in the larger world is a great fix for fussing over 'small stuff'.

After reading all of the comments on this thread, I swear ....

:grouphug:

I think there certainly are merits for both sides of this issue. For many people, swearing can be offensive as it is seen or felt as something that is derogatory and may be against their personal feelings. But yet, for others, it can be a way that they simply are expressing themselves or is part of the culture or environment that they grew up in. Still, others may not swear all the time but find a place for it in providing an emphasis in certain situations when other expletives just don't quite give enough real strength to what they are trying to express.

Is it wrong to swear? Well, that certainly is of a personal opinion. I think that out of courtesy to others who may find offense, it is probably reasonable to think that in public places individuals should refrain from using substantive amounts of swearing, but there certainly is not an obligation to do so.

:detective3 I would hope that the thought of being courteous is sufficient reason to limit use of these expletives around others who might find it offensive --even as going around in a messy diaper might be discourteous to those who would find that offensive. Maybe that is a poor analogy, but the thought process is really the same. Is it wrong to go out in public with a messy diaper and care less who might not appreciate the smell? Well, out of courtesy and respect for others, I hope that most of us would agree that isn't something we should do.

Swearing is kind of similar.

There are places where such comments are not likely going to cause offense, or might even be expected. As a real life cowboy, I have to admit that I do maintain a few expletive vocabulary that naturally comes out at times. I mean when you get kicked in the leg or head butted in the chest by a cow or bull, well, I certainly have a few of my own words that come out as seemingly naturally as can be. Simply saying, "ouch" or "doggone you cow that wasn't nice" just doesn't fit the situation. I usually say something about the bull's mother that isn't exactly vocabulary related to that species but of the canine family.

But anyhow, I guess my point here is just that we shouldn't be judgmental of people that are swearing.

--But as for our own actions, we should be respectful of others and utilize the vocabulary that is appropriate for the setting that we may be in.

I do but its such habit. For about a year I was subjected to non stop swearing and no matter how hard I tried not to I picked up this horrible habit😣

DefinitelyNotARobot said:
The context of the words matter more than the words themselves.
There is nothing wrong with swearing.

there is alot of science that says swearing is good for you,

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170117105107.htm
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ng-linked-high-intelligence-article-1.2879270
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...tay-awake-longer-and-swear-more-a7174256.html
http://www.businessinsider.de/intel...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
https://www.inverse.com/article/23800-stereotype-study-swear-word-use-not-tied-to-intelligence
http://www.sciencealert.com/people-...vocabularies-than-those-who-don-t-study-finds
http://tribune.com.pk/story/1009691/swearing-might-actually-be-good-for-you/
http://observer.com/2016/09/why-you-should-give-a-shit-about-the-science-of-swearing/
https://qz.com/791736/a-linguists-l...y-explains-why-its-fine-to-curse-around-kids/
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cognitive-scientist-puts-profanity-its-place
http://www.thenewsminute.com/article/five-fing-fascinating-facts-about-swearing-51430
http://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/news/a46001/is-swearing-good-for-you/
http://www.brit.co/science-says-that-swearing-is-a-great-effing-thing-to-do-for-real/
http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/12/there-a-biological-purpose-for-profanity.html
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-we-swear/

just a handful of some of the most recent studies showing the benefits of cursing, there are many more though as we have been studying the effects of swearing all through the past century.

Anyway, I make a great effort to no longer say the very bad potty chair words about poo-poo and where pee-pee comes from on my body.
I feel very dirty after I say the bad potty chair words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back