Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrecked by Chantix

Default Wrecked by Chantix

I decided a few days ago to try Chantix out to quit smoking. Luckily I am totally urinary incontinent, so I always wear diapers. Well, yesterday I had 2 instances of diarrhea, but managed to make it to the toilet. As long as I am within a minute or two of a toilet, I can hold my bowels about 75% of the time. Today I wasn't so lucky. I had 5 instances of diarrhea, and only made it to the toilet once. And the day isn't over yet.

I think I decided that the Chantix isn't worth it for me. Too much hassle, and a fair bit of pain in my bowels too. I read online about it, and this is not an uncommon experience. What worries me is the large number of people experiencing similar situations who say that their condition hasn't improved even up to 3 months after discontinuing.

I am also experiencing severe pain in my teeth, feeling mildly manic, and moderate anxiety. I guess the bright side is I am thankful my bowels arent normally this bad. I truly feel for people who have this all the time. I really pray it goes away and I havent caused permanent damage. Stay away from Chantix! It is a miracle drug for some, but a living hell for many.

Just quit cold turkey. It's the only way. I quit a 2+ pack a day habit 7 years ago by going cold turkey. It was the hardest thing I ever did but I'm still not smoking cigarettes 7 years on.

in today's world with vaping, I would switch immediately to that just to get away from the smoke aspect. I smoked for 5 years and quit when I was 21. I did continue to smoke cigars twice a day, but you really can't inhale a cigar. later graduated to premium smokes just on the weekends. And as later life brought hi blood pressure, I just gave them up too.
    Now just really special occasions. I will say though that even 37 years later, I still have very fond memories of cigarettes. Ages 16 - 21 were a lot of good times.
    Also probably cause Mom smoked all during my childhood.

I quit by vaping.You can ween yourself off by steeping down the nicotine as you go.

It sounds like you had a high dosage in that patch. Like others, I quit cold turkey. In my case, I had to quit badly enough, and once I knew I wanted to quit, I did. The first two weeks were the hardest. After that, it wasn't bad, and after a couple months, I didn't miss it at all.

I understand that quitting cold turkey is the highest success rate. I have smoked for 20 years, and quit twice for 1-2 years each time. Thank you for the advice. I know I need to stop, and I want to. I might go cold turkey tomorrow. Luckily today the diarrhea was just 2 episodes today, and I attribute the previous days to Chantix. I tried patches half a dozen times, and barely noticed them, even full strength. I also have a top of the line vape pen with 18mg vape, and it just doesnt appeal to me at all. I guess its cold turkey, or a life of enslavement to smoking.

I quit cold turkey 6 years ago. I wish my husband would quit. I stopped holding my breath.

Good luck quitting, it's hard but solo worth it!

All I can tell you is keep trying until you find something that works.
    My last cig was 30 years ago 5 min before my heart attack at 39. It almost killed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    All I can tell you is keep trying until you find something that works.
    My last cig was 30 years ago 5 min before my heart attack at 39. It almost killed me.
    Wow! Congrats on 30 years. Part of me is afraid of something similar happening if I quit cold turkey. I mean, 20ish years of hard smoking, I cannot just quit at once? I've just heard so many anecdotal stories where long term addictions quit too hastily led to disaster.

As an update, I quit chantix days ago, and my bowels are belatedly returning to normal. My main symptom now is I cannot sleep more than 3 hrs a night now. My BF understands, and I hang out on the couch so he can sleep, and not toss and turn and wake him. So I'm on the couch now, updating, and wishing I was asleep. Bless all you able to sleep now....
    Last edited by MarcusP; 1 Week Ago at 19:53.