Do you consider yourself successful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm too young to say really say if I'm successful. I'm trained as a lawyer and doing work I love while making enough money to own my own home, so I'm on the right track by most measures. But it's hard work, with long hours, and I still worry about making mistakes and what I'm going to do in my career going forward. I also want a family and haven't managed it yet, though I'm very much hoping my current relationship works out. So, check back in another decade and we'll see. Honestly though, I've never been very good at being content with things. No matter what I'm doing, I always tend to feel a little bit of discontent, a feeling that I could be doing more. So, I dunno if I'll ever feel satisfied enough to say that I'm successful.

MarchinBunny said:
Absolutely not. I don't think there is any single thing a person could point to in my life that they could consider "successful."

You've been part of ADISC for somewhere between 5 and 6 years according to your join date. During that time, you've managed to keep yourself alive and at least healthy enough to engage in conversation here. That's not the pinnacle of everything everyone posting in this thread has done, but you're definitely doing something right.

Absolutely!!!

I am a father to three wonderful children, whom two are now living on their own away from home, and my youngest who is also doing well in school and in his life.

As far as career or occupations go... I could talk about what I have done or not have done, but I have to share that I don't think these things mean a rats @&$!! as to what success for me is a definition.

--When it is all said an done, who is going to care about what you accomplished in life? It is about what you have passed on to others and how you may have truly impacted future generations that will live on beyond yourself.

I'm not suggesting that it means you have to have passed things onto your own children, but are there things that you have done that have made a difference in the shaping and bettering of other peoples lives? Maybe you don't think so, but what impact have you made upon others? Are there things that you may have shared from your own experiences and self that have help someone else be a better person in their life?

I, for one, have benefited greatly by the posts of many others here on ADISC. --Some who have even commented on this very thread that they thought they hadn't been particularly successful in their life to date. But the fact that they have made a difference in my own life or in the lives of others here is evidence that they are more successful that they may actually realize. Sometimes the smallest comment may have the most profound impact upon another as to totally change the direction of what they do and lead to outcomes far superior than one could ever dream.

Even if you only impact one person, that is still a success!!! Brabbit (and I know you have changed names), you have helped me to see things in a light that I had not seen before. I admire you. I look up to your courage and your continuation to seek for the future. You are an amazing person and I admire the person that you are and that you will be. Do you realize how much the things that you have gone through and the courage to truly be the person that you are inside is an example for so many of us to follow? You are perhaps much braver in many ways than this ol' cowboy who isn't scared of getting on a bucking and unbroke horse or even a raging bull. I know you are a long way from where you want to be, but never doubt in the person who you are. You will get there my friend.

Likewise, I also see many others here who are heros in their own right but may have no idea of the impact that they are making on myself or others and just how truly "successful" that they are in making a difference in our community and this world.

Do not shortchange yourself as to the impacts that you may have or the potential to have. Perhaps you may never realize it, but if you influence even one person in a positive manner and that impact grows and grows.... Perhaps it could even be the impetus for actions that become the basis for a Nobel prize someday... You just never know!! You really don't!

Seek to be positive in your actions and thoughts and I can't help but believe that success beyond your own comprehension will follow!

Just a few thoughts from a Teddy Bear Cowboy who may not have dollars but at least common sense!!! :twocents:

Please.... No offense intended to others who might see things differently, but I would hope that you might stop and ponder what being a success means in the long term. When you are dead and gone, did anything you do in life really matter to another? That to me is the question that should really define whether or not a person is a success.

:detective3

TeddyBearCowboy

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic
ArchieRoni said:
You've been part of ADISC for somewhere between 5 and 6 years according to your join date. During that time, you've managed to keep yourself alive and at least healthy enough to engage in conversation here. That's not the pinnacle of everything everyone posting in this thread has done, but you're definitely doing something right.

I don't really consider being alive as something successful. As for being healthy enough to engage in a conversation here, ok ... sure. How is that successful? Being healthy enough to type on a keyboard isn't exactly an indication for being healthy.

TeddyBearCowboy said:
Please.... No offense intended to others who might see things differently, but I would hope that you might stop and ponder what being a success means in the long term. When you are dead and gone, did anything you do in life really matter to another? That to me is the question that should really define whether or not a person is a success.

Something I likely will never do.

TeddyBearCowboy said:

Mm. I think this is a good point, but it's one that requires being a little careful. Forgive me for using a cliched metaphor, but the effects that we have on people are like the ripples of a stone thrown into a pond. What we do reverberates outward and can have many effects, small and large. A kind word, a sturdy arm, or a friendly smile can sometimes do more than any amount of expertise.

So, while I agree with you, I think it can be easy for people to assume they've done nothing meaningful while discounting all the little things they do for the people they love.

MarchinBunny said:
I don't really consider being alive as something successful. As for being healthy enough to engage in a conversation here, ok ... sure. How is that successful? Being healthy enough to type on a keyboard isn't exactly an indication for being healthy.

Something I likely will never do.

Case in point. Success isn't the same thing to everyone. In your case, where you're saying you've done nothing successful at all, I think you might consider looking closer. Being able to talk with people here, to support them and seek support is a success. It's being of sound mind, it's socializing, it's being part of a community. Those are all good things to do. You might still disagree, but that's my :twocents:

ArchieRoni said:
Mm. I think this is a good point, but it's one that requires being a little careful. Forgive me for using a cliched metaphor, but the effects that we have on people are like the ripples of a stone thrown into a pond. What we do reverberates outward and can have many effects, small and large. A kind word, a sturdy arm, or a friendly smile can sometimes do more than any amount of expertise.

So, while I agree with you, I think it can be easy for people to assume they've done nothing meaningful while discounting all the little things they do for the people they love.

I agree with you too. This is part of what I was trying to say. It is all to often when others who have made great contributions may not have any clue as to the great impacts they have had. --which while noble (much better than arrogance) is sometimes to sadly not able to benefit the very person that made the contribution in the first place as they know not the impact they have had.

Interesting question, but first what is your Definition of successful?

*Long version see spoiler*

i don’t see money as success or even a viable way to measure wealth, to me seeing people fret over money or brag about money i typically hear

"look at how much (or lack of) colored paper i have and shiny metallic minerals cut to a shape!!"

the idea of money as wealth is asinine to me especially in the US. when it comes down to it money causes problems where otherwise there would be none. i don’t consider wealth in a system that assigns value to an otherwise worthless object controlled by people who's word we must take at face value with no proof that collateral exists to back it up.

So Rich people are not considered successful to me, in my view some of the poorest people in the world are the most successful and likewise those who have the most money are the biggest failures.

I tend to value skill sets, adaptability, resilience, and ability to make due where others would normally fail as a successful person over just money.

Other areas most people consider success is education. But for a degree to be considered success it must be a degree that poses knowledge that is highly specialized or difficult to achieve. (IE. Medical, law, physics, engineering, science, technology, or history) things that society can not progress without.

A much looked down upon but equally if not more important area of “success” within the education area would be the knowledge or talent to preform a trade skill proficiently. Almost everyone uses some form of automotive transport throughout the day be it a Cab, bus, train, or personal auto, but if it stopped working how many people can say they can get it back running again on their own?

So back to my main point say we remove the money from the world go back to a barter system. Your potential wealth and subsequently your success will not be money but your ability to preform skills or services considered valuable to society. The IT guy who fixes computers has a complex skill set that most will find difficult or impossible to complete by those without the training he has a potential for success by helping peoples computers or tech remain functional.

The doctor for obvious reasons would be considered the most important service provider in a system with very difficult skills that can prolong your life.

The Blue collar Mechanic who you look down on as inferior now holds the future of your transport in his hands. With no money you are stuck with what you have now and the ability to upgrade or maintain relies on the skill set you posses, now these people who make up the back bone of society and are usually overlooked because of the options that a monetary system grants for those lucky enough to posses an abundance of, no longer take the lesser role and are considered more valuable than your PHD in gender studies or liberal arts.

Success comes more down to what are you as a person capable of doing than how much paper or titles do you have.

Skill beats Will
you can demand something all day long but without the skill to do it, it will remain unfinished.

So my definition of success is not the value of ones bank account or the level of education they complete but more their ability to provide a required service and the value that the service rendered amounts to. But as a side note everyone gauges their success by their own standards and values. I’m a practical person, I gauge a persons worth by their ability to contribute, not their ability to inherit money.

yes I consider myself successful because while I may not be educated like so many, I am skilled in other areas that can generate or provide food, shelter, and potential to acquire material gain.

but this is just subject to the parameters in which my mind processes the world and by no means a standard anyone should judge themselves by

I may wade into the deeper more philosophical discussion later, but to answer the OP's question, yes. I feel I have been successful so far. I celebrate my 25th year in my career this year. I am in a loving marriage. I have a bright energetic and healthy 10 year old child. I own a home and besides the mortgage, I am debt free. I have many friends whom I see and communicate with. I have a good relationship with my extended family and sibling. My income affords comfortable living and the occasional extravagance. By most measures, I am a success in life. Most importantly, I am happy.

This does not mean everything is perfect. Middle age is an interesting time. I am where I wanted to be in life, but I more and more feel I am missing out on another, more interesting life. I know these feelings are an illusion, but human nature seems to favor change. The good news is that I am aware enough to ignore destructive impulses. I continually remind myself how fortunate I am.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I'll try and answer the OP's question without getting too philosophical about 'success'.

I feel I'm successful both by society's worldly measures, and by the less tangible measures of friends, family, and faith.

My ... um .. .interests in ... ah, 'baby stuff' has not hampered me in any way professionally, but I've never been in a situation of participating for long periods of time. When my interests peak, I may be ... frequently playing, but I can easily function as a boring adult during the day or when in situations where it would be difficult to be discreet.

It's certainly complicated my family and faith relationships. I've had a very hard time accepting myself and seeing myself as loved. I think I've finally gotten (mostly) there, but this 'success' was hard won and the road was filled with tears and terrors.

Nope. It's comforting to have money, but financial success is not my life's focus in this corrupt society. There are plenty of rich unhappy people in the world anyway. I do wish I had a talent I enjoyed that could earn some money though.

At this time in my life I don't consider myself successful but, I a lot of life to live and I'll consider myself successful when I reached or obtained my long term goals I set for myself.
As of now my only notable achievement was graduating from college.

career wise I'm getting there. My salary is respectable but frankly I thought I could be further along in life by now. My own fault though. I should have applied myself more and been more ambtious.

Family wise, I'm doing great. I have a wife and son and they're all that really matter.

For me... No. I'm pretty much a failure at everything. Sometimes I do ok buying and selling antiques and, collectibles, but I don't have the resources to make any kind of stable living from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back