Travelling without teddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slomo said:
Well no, I don't see that as concerning. Holidays can be very stressful on their own. If a teddy bear can reduce that stress for someone then why would you expect them to go without it?

As for being job related, there is a connection. When you're on a business trip you're expected to be well rested and attentive for that trip. Again, if a teddy bear can help someone achieve that l, then why would you expect them not to.

As I mentioned before, it's like with my wearing a diaper. I don't technically need one in spite of being incontinent. They certainly help me get through my work day and sleep better at night though. I'd be stupid not to be wearing one. Do you see a concerning reason why I shouldn't be wearing one? Likely not. So why do you see a concern with sleeping with a teddy?

See, I don't think you actually understood what I said. I don't think there is anything wrong at all bringing a stuffed animal along with you to reduce stress. In fact, I would say for sure you should do so if it helps. That isn't my issues here. My issues here is the way some are acting as if it's almost impossible for them to go without it. In other words, they are overexagerating it in order to seem more childish. I do realize this is a AB/DL forum, so maybe it's something I should expect. XD

Also ... as for a business trip .. bringing a teddy bear is fine ... but you disregarded the fact it wasn't just a teddy bear it was an entire bag full of stuffed animals which is entirely unnecessary and taking advtange of the company you work for.

MarchinBunny said:
Also ... as for a business trip .. bringing a teddy bear is fine ... but you disregarded the fact it wasn't just a teddy bear it was an entire bag full of stuffed animals which is entirely unnecessary and taking advtange of the company you work for.

If the company is paying his baggage fee and not telling him what he can and can't pack, I'd say a bag of plushies is fair game. Part of life is taking opportunities when you see them, and it's far too short to sit and think you're somehow scamming someone by doing so.

KimbaStarshine said:
If the company is paying his baggage fee and not telling him what he can and can't pack, I'd say a bag of plushies is fair game. Part of life is taking opportunities when you see them, and it's far too short to sit and think you're somehow scamming someone by doing so.

To say it's fair game .. to me is quite silly ... because it isn't. It's not your money. It's the companies money. Also .. taking oppurtunities isn't the same as taking advantage of someone.

No where did I say it was scamming them, but it is certainly not a good thing. Are you suggesting to me that if he went up to his company and asked them if he could pack a bag full of stuffed animals .. you think they would pay for that? The fact is ... they wouldn't be ok with it ... and that is how you know you shouldn't be doing it.

Now on the other hand .. maybe the company is really really cool and accepting and they decide ... ya sure why not. Fine ... I would say it's unlikely though.

These are one of those things you shouldn't have to be told not to do. And if you want to do it, then you should be asking first instead of taking advantage. Unlike you .. I don't condone people commiting things I consider to be wrong.

MarchinBunny said:
To say it's fair game .. to me is quite silly ... because it isn't. It's not your money. It's the companies money. Also .. taking oppurtunities isn't the same as taking advantage of someone.

No where did I say it was scamming them, but it is certainly not a good thing. Are you suggesting to me that if he went up to his company and asked them if he could pack a bag full of stuffed animals .. you think they would pay for that? The fact is ... they wouldn't be ok with it ... and that is how you know you shouldn't be doing it.

Now on the other hand .. maybe the company is really really cool and accepting and they decide ... ya sure why not. Fine ... I would say it's unlikely though.

These are one of those things you shouldn't have to be told not to do. And if you want to do it, then you should be asking first instead of taking advantage. Unlike you .. I don't condone people commiting things I consider to be wrong.

Well, the difference is I don't consider it be wrong, so I don't have to condone it.

I'm sure the company only pays for say, one extra bag, not unlimited ones. Now maybe if BluMew was taking ten bags of plushies with him on company money, that would be a problem there. There is nothing wrong with simply using the favor they are giving him, regardless of what he is packing.

There are FAR, FAR worse things to worry about in life other than a person somehow being immoral for filling his company-paid luggage with plushies. We have people choosing to die in the United States because they don't want their families left with huge medical debts, for fuck's sake. Repeatedly complaining about BluMew's decision is just putting your priorities in the wrong place.

KimbaStarshine said:
Well, the difference is I don't consider it be wrong, so I don't have to condone it.

You don't think taking advantage of a company is wrong? Do you think they themselves would be ok with it if they found out?

I'm sure the company only pays for say, one extra bag, not unlimited ones. Now maybe if BluMew was taking ten bags of plushies with him on company money, that would be a problem there. There is nothing wrong with simply using the favor they are giving him, regardless of what he is packing.

He isn't just using the favor, he is taking advantage of it for things that have absolutly nothing to do with the trip and are not a necessity. The reason companies typically pay for these things is because people need to pack clothing, and they need these sort of necessities. The company doesn't pay for your bags because they are expecting you to fill an entire bag with plushies.

There are FAR, FAR worse things to worry about in life other than a person somehow being immoral for filling his company-paid luggage with plushies. We have people choosing to die in the United States because they don't want their families left with huge medical debts, for fuck's sake. Repeatedly complaining about BluMew's decision is just putting your priorities in the wrong place.

That isn't an argument for why I shouldn't be able to have an opinion on this matter. Are you saying just because there are worse things to worry about we shoudl all become theives then? Hey stealing isn't that bad .. there are totally worse things in the world.

Edit: Also, I want to make this clear again and again so no one is misunderstanding me. I don't see anything wrong with bringing a stuffed animal on a business trip. That is no where near the problem to me. The problem to me, is doing somthing you know the company wouldn't like. I laso have issue with people who seem to condone this sort of thing when it's one of those things that very well could get someone intro trouble or even fired. Would a company fire someone if they found out ... possibly. It depends on the company really. But it's not something I would tell anyone to risk. Not if they need thier job.

What is more important, your job .. or a bag full of stuffed animals?

MarchinBunny said:
You don't think taking advantage of a company is wrong? Do you think they themselves would be ok with it if they found out?

He isn't just using the favor, he is taking advantage of it for things that have absolutly nothing to do with the trip and are not a necessity. The reason companies typically pay for these things is because people need to pack clothing, and they need these sort of necessities. The company doesn't pay for your bags because they are expecting you to fill an entire bag with plushies.

That isn't an argument for why I shouldn't be able to have an opinion on this matter. Are you saying just because there are worse things to worry about we shoudl all become theives then? Hey stealing isn't that bad .. there are totally worse things in the world.

Edit: Also, I want to make this clear again and again so no one is misunderstanding me. I don't see anything wrong with bringing a stuffed animal on a business trip. That is no where near the problem to me. The problem to me, is doing somthing you know the company wouldn't like. I laso have issue with people who seem to condone this sort of thing when it's one of those things that very well could get someone intro trouble or even fired. Would a company fire someone if they found out ... possibly. It depends on the company really. But it's not something I would tell anyone to risk. Not if they need thier job.

What is more important, your job .. or a bag full of stuffed animals?

Would they be OK with it? Maybe, maybe not. But the fact of the matter is, unless they specifically stated what he could and couldn't pack, they really have no room to complain.

I also think that the chances of them finding out about it are incredibly slim.

I use the example to illustrate what a real moral issue in today's society is. When there are that kinds of problems in the world today, arguing over a bag of plushies just seems silly. It's barely a blip on my moral radar.

I believe one of my neighbors told my dad a story about one of her relatives, a son or a son-in-law. He was travelling on business, and spent a night in a hotel that was some astronomical price - like $1,600 a night. His company paid all but like $300 of it. This was obviously his employer's choice to pay. Now, is that accepting a favor, or taking advantage? Whatever it is, I think it's rather stupid, nowhere near necessary, and much worse than a bag of stuffed animals.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I simply feel you have your priorities a bit muddled and are a bit too worked up over something pretty insignificant.

As the saying goes, don't sweat the small stuff.

Last edited:
KimbaStarshine said:
Would they be OK with it? Maybe, maybe not. But the fact of the matter is, unless they specifically stated what he could and couldn't pack, they really have no room to complain.

But they do ... cause it's their money XD. Of course it gives them room to complain.

I also think that the chances of them finding out about it are incredibly slim.
Well, I do 100% agree with you here lol. The chances of them actually finding out are indeed slim. i still wouldn't chance it though just in case. I mean, the issue with it is ... take a full bag of stuffed animals is quite litterally obviously taking advtange. It's one thing to bring something they may not agree with you bringing, it's another thing if they found out, you where purposfully taking advantage like that. It doesn't make you look good, I can promise you that.

I use the example to illustrate what a real moral issue in today's society is. When there are that kinds of problems in the world today, arguing over a bag of plushies just seems silly. It's barely a blip on my moral radar.

I agree, but that is what this dicsussion is about ... teddy bears. Just because there are more serious issues, doesn't mean I can't tackle smaller issues when I come across them. I also don't mean to seem like im just nitpicking or anything. It's more out of concern. I just find it incredibly innappropiate to do and it could be something that if is ever found out, could cause negative effects. So it isn't something I would want to condone even if the chances are slim.

I believe one of my neighbors told my dad a story about one of her relatives, a son or a son-in-law. He was travelling on business, and spent a night in a hotel that was some astronomical price - like $1,600 a night. His company paid all but like $300 of it. This was obviously his employer's choice to pay. Now, is that accepting a favor, or taking advantage? Whatever it is, I think it's rather stupid, nowhere near necessary, and much worse than a bag of stuffed animals.

Oh trust me, I know how much they can spend on a hotel, it really depends on the reasons. Their decision to pay for a hotel though is their decision. That isn't taking advantage of them. In fact, they didn't even pay for the whole thing which shows they have a limit. My Dad sometimes would need to renew his certificatiosn or whatever it was he had to renew as a pharmacist. His company would also pay for his stay at a hotel while he took those tests. However, I don't think that is quite the same as someone knowing their company will pay for something and so they purposfully take advantage of that and do more than is necessary.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I simply feel you have your priorities a bit muddled and are a bit too worked up over something pretty insignificant.

As the saying goes, don't sweat the small stuff.

Why not? Shouldn't we strive to fix all issues, no matter the size of the issue? Just because I am "too worked up" about this issue, doesn't mean other issues are something I am ignoring. Also .. it's not like I am going to lose sleep over this issue lol. So no worries. I am not as worked up as you seem to think. I am just stating my opinion and that is all.

So cute how many of you have had such positive feedback when travelling with your special friend. :)

Depending on how stress I am, I can go out for the day & miss my teddy bears. I once went on a road trip & forgot to pack my favourite little bear. On the way there, I crashed my car, thankfully not bad enough for it to be undriveable but still not a good experience. When we arrived at the campsite, I really started to miss him & had a very sleepless night. Needless to say, I double check that he's packed now, haha.

On the packing your bear when work is paying for the airplane baggage...how would they even know, especially with you're travelling by yourself? I'd say it's even work related, how can you be well rested & ready for what's in store without your friend to keep you company? :twocents:

Drynites96 said:
Yeah I love my Tails plush but I'm also a bit embarrassed because I still sleep with plushies...
Mid 30's here & I actually bought my own teddies to sleep with. :)

willnotwill said:
We actually found a teddy bear museum/store when travelling. We went out and got our bears out of the car so they couuld get their pictures taken with the ones inside.
That's awesome!

diapernh said:
Last time I flew, TSA went to open my bag, and I joked to be careful there was a vicious teddy bear in the bag.
Hahahaha. That's brilliant.

MarchinBunny said:
Considering they're paying literally thousands between the plane ticket, hotel, car rental, and food -- $30 on a second checked bag is nothing. Besides, they told me to be comfortable. So you rent the mid-size car instead of the economy compact. You book the Staybridge Suites instead of the Motel 6 or whatever. As well as, a second bag of plushies. And when they invite you to a corporate holiday dinner, it's no time to become modest. You get what you want. If it's the $50 porter house, it's the $50 porter house.
MarchinBunny said:
They were also inviting me out to their east lab so I could visit the Air and Space Smithsonian on the weekend. No, I don't get to charge them for the ticket from Delaware to DC or for any of the personal gifts I pick up for myself or others. But, it should be quite clear and apparent by now that this wasn't "You're hear for one reason and one reason only, no frills."
MarchinBunny said:

I totally get where you're coming from, but there were clear options for discretionary choices here. You just keep them in bounds.

BluMew said:
Considering they're paying literally thousands between the plane ticket, hotel, car rental, and food -- $30 on a second checked bag is nothing. Besides, they told me to be comfortable. So you rent the mid-size car instead of the economy compact. You book the Staybridge Suites instead of the Motel 6 or whatever. As well as, a second bag of plushies. And when they invite you to a corporate holiday dinner, it's no time to be come modest. You get what you want. If it's the $50 porter house, it's the $50 porter houseThey were also inviting me out to their east lab so I could visit the Air and Space Smithsonian on the weekend. No, I don't get to charge them for the ticket from Delaware to DC or for any of the personal gifts I pick up for myself. But, it should be quite clear and apparent by now that this wasn't "You're hear for one reason and one reason only, no frills."I totally get where you're coming from, but there were clear options for discretionary choices here. You just keep them in bounds.

Ahh .. thank you for the clarification BluMew. I understand much better and that makes more sense to me now. Sorry if I was coming off as judgemental too, wasn't trying to ... just felt under normal circumstances where one is on a business trip to conduct specifically business, it wouldn't be a very good idea.

DufusBear said:
So cute how many of you have had such positive feedback when travelling with your special friend. :)

Depending on how stress I am, I can go out for the day & miss my teddy bears. I once went on a road trip & forgot to pack my favourite little bear. On the way there, I crashed my car, thankfully not bad enough for it to be undriveable but still not a good experience. When we arrived at the campsite, I really started to miss him & had a very sleepless night. Needless to say, I double check that he's packed now, haha.

On the packing your bear when work is paying for the airplane baggage...how would they even know, especially with you're travelling by yourself? I'd say it's even work related, how can you be well rested & ready for what's in store without your friend to keep you company? :twocents:
Best thing was... They let me put all of the expenses, except for the airplane ticket itself, for the trip on the hotel credit card a co-worker told me to get. So I got 80,000 points on the promo offer + around 20,000 points from the expenses. I ended up getting enough points to stay completely for free at the hotel just around the corner from TeddyCon. The car rental company had its own 'rewards' program and since I had 3 weeks of rental from them for the business trip my rental car for the con was free too. I only had to pay for my con ticket and the flight out to PA.

Last edited:
I always have my little doggy with me, in the train, car, it's just getting uncomfortable when I don't have him with me. My boyfriend suddenly had his crying girlfriend in his arms, because she forgot her stuffy - now I always check if I have everything packed.... Even for a weekend trip!

dogboy said:
When we have our adults kids visiting and living at the house, I hide my plushies in the bedroom closet and sleep without my big teddy. It does bother me, and to make things worse, my wife teases me saying my plushies are "in the closet".

Lol. I think i would get on with your wife, she seems to know how to have a laugh. But yes, poor you with no teddy. Lol.

Reaper said:
This thread is so cute. Bless.

I was thinking the same thing. Some lovely stories and awww so cute!

yep, my teddy is about three feet tall, so i can't bring him everywhere, so i actually have a little puppy plush that i use when traveling or camping, helps alleviate some of that need.

And seeing how they're paying over $1000 a day for my time, keeping me happy and effective makes a checked bag small change. I stuff one of my bears in whatever bag I'm travelling in and if it's more than just an overnight trip, it's going to be checked.

One of my bears, Brighton, made a nice side trip to Denver when my bag got misdirected there one day on the way home.

- - - Updated - - -

alexchar1982 said:
yep, my teddy is about three feet tall, so i can't bring him everywhere, so i actually have a little puppy plush that i use when traveling or camping, helps alleviate some of that need.

Yep, my largest bear isn't allowed in the bed. He sits in the second chair in my home office (my wife found it creepy when she'd come home at night and find him sitting at the dining room table). I've got bears of various sizes and they all vie for going on trips and a place in the bed.

Yep, my largest bear isn't allowed in the bed. He sits in the second chair in my home office

how big is your biggest?

56" tall.

nice, where did you find him?

BluMew said:
Best thing was... They let me put all of the expenses, except for the airplane ticket itself, for the trip on the hotel credit card a co-worker told me to get. So I got 80,000 points on the promo offer + around 20,000 points from the expenses. I ended up getting enough points to stay completely for free at the hotel just around the corner from TeddyCon. The car rental company had its own 'rewards' program and since I had 3 weeks of rental from them for the business trip my rental car for the con was free too. I only had to pay for my con ticket and the flight out to PA.

Cool, that worked out so well for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back