Huntsman spider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
seems like i've got a little friend outside, been hanging around my room for some time, he always finds his way in my room lol.

that being said, might keep him in my room when he comes in, to kill the white tails that come in here.

anyone else down in australia have spiders around this time of year? he tried coming though my window lol the other day, went to close it, bam there he was again.

I usually grab a glass and let them out, but they always seem to find there way back in, so i don't bother, plus i don't really see white tails or bees when he is around. he has killed a few i reckon.

We have pholcids and zebra spiders. The former are quite numerous in the garage, and occasionally make it into the house. I usually dispatch those with a broom or a wad of tissue paper. They make a mess otherwise. The zebra spiders are kind of fun to play with, and as they don't build webs or leave heaps of bug carcasses in one place, I usually let them live.

I've just got Wolf Spiders up where I live. They're big ugly bastards but harmless to humans. I've seen some scary big ones though.

I got bit by a brown recluse several years ago and got MRSA from the little bugger. I had to get a pick line inserted and get IV antibiotics. Sometimes I'll see a daddy long legs in our house. I pick them up and let them loose outside.

I'm in Canada, so we don't really get spiders this time of year, and when they do appear, I'm not close enough to the wilderness to see big ones. I usually just leave them be, unless they're above my bed or uncomfortably close to me. That's when they're, ehm, disposed of.

I don't like spiders at all. If they are outside they are left alone to live their happy ugly creepy lives... inside and they get the vacuum cleaner treatment.

Argent said:
I don't like spiders at all. If they are outside they are left alone to live their happy ugly creepy lives... inside and they get the vacuum cleaner treatment.

I'm with you on this. ^^; I am highly arachnophobic and always have been. I have discovered that, as an arachnophobe, it can be beneficial to avoid killing the Pholcus Phalangioides species. Not only are they virtually unable to bite humans, but they also tend to hang out in quiet corners rather than investigate your desktop or kitchen countertops or *shiver* bed. Best of all, they kill and eat other species of spiders. ^_^ And for me, despite their size, they have less of a "creep factor" than most other types. I try to leave those alone when I find them in the house, as long as they're not in an inconvenient place (like hanging over my head in the shower, e.g.).

Shybug said:
to kill the white tails that come in here.

What are white tails? We have lots of spiders here in Florida, but nothing like the diversity in Australia (especially the venomous type). I like spiders as long as they don't get in my space.

White tails are a (I think you have properly guessed :) haha) a spider here in Australia (and NZ), they are usually found in the south and east here. I did hear that there bite can cause the skin around it to die, but apparently that is not true... BUUUTTT I would still prefer to not test this :p

ProfOmniPowers said:
White tails are a (I think you have properly guessed :) haha) a spider here in Australia (and NZ), they are usually found in the south and east here. I did hear that there bite can cause the skin around it to die, but apparently that is not true... BUUUTTT I would still prefer to not test this :p

There toxic like the red back, that's all I know of myself.

i can only remember seeing one foreignish (non-british) spider properly and that was at work whilst having a quick smoke beside a stack of euro-pallets. it was at my eye-level and i only spied in my periphery as it slowly moved toward me. it was frosty day, so it was probably feeling the chill.
i've seen the odd black thing scurrying across the floor of a container or trailer, but it's usually too dark in them to see what exactly; oh, and i've heard the odd scream from others :laugh: but, at work i was usually too busy to be mithered and would reckon that whatever it was would be killed by the cold, the rain or a boot and, if not, good luck to the bastard.

we had this in a kitchen cupboard over xmas:
View attachment 28302

actually, it was a full family of mum, dad and babies/eggs.
i was going to leave them there (and not just to annoy my nieces who're staying here), but the thought of the eggs hatching made me remember the time that my sister unpeeled a banana and the brown patch on it split, spilling out what seemed like hundreds of tiny spiders, all dribbling down the banana and her hand like a liquid. naturally, she went apeshit.

oh, aye, and i've had a tarantula crawl on me at a zoo in Cornwall.

Ade that looks like a common cellar spider, in Australia they actually eat white tails (which are evil) and cellar spiders are harmless but are reminiscent of alien face huggers and leave huge ropes of webbing on your roof.

Argent said:
Ade that looks like a common cellar spider, in Australia they actually eat white tails (which are evil) and cellar spiders are harmless but are reminiscent of alien face huggers and leave huge ropes of webbing on your roof.

Yeah, there quite harmless, used to have like 6 in my old rooms :D, just like huntsmans eat white tails :D

Argent said:
i did apologize when i hoovered them up. bear in mind that i am/was ill, fighting viral and bacterial infections and on the defensive.

on a cheerier note, late last year i filmed a jumping spider (zebra) jumping it's way up the blinds in the livingroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back