Pretty sure my parents are ignoring this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calico said:
I could pretty much relate to this. I refused to be different and I wanted to be normal so I kept on trying. I refused to surrender to Asperger's when my mother first told me about it in 6th grade. But then when I did start to accept myself and quit trying to be normal and just be myself, that was when my mom started to accuse me of trying to be Asperger's and reminding me it's not who I am but it didn't change anything about me or my past. It was maybe her way of saying "Don't give up and surrender to the diagnoses. You can do it if you keep trying and practicing." But there is a line drawn somewhere because should an introvert try and make themselves extroverted? They will be unhappy like I was when I was trying to force myself to be social and have friends when I had nothing in common with them and I found social chats so boring. I am not saying everyone should drop all the skills they have learned and regress or not get along with people or refuse to follow the rules that would give you a consequence. People just shouldn't force themselves be something they're not. I don't see using social skills as being something you're not or manners or niceness, etc. anything that makes your life easier. But anyway my mom tries to separate Asperger's from me because that makes zero sense, that is like trying to separate me from anxiety or OCD and telling me to not try and be those either. But that is the way some parents are, they separate disorders from their children. Some spouses do it too with their loved ones.

Right, totally get what you mean. There certainly is a point where you have to draw a line. You can't be someone you are not, as doing so will only make things worse, not better. The issue is, many people sell themselves short once they get that diagnoses. They all of a sudden believe they can't do something and so they no longer try. Doing that sets you up for failure because you are not even giving yourself a chance. I don't want to fall into that trap myself. o.o

brabbit1987 said:
Right, totally get what you mean. There certainly is a point where you have to draw a line. You can't be someone you are not, as doing so will only make things worse, not better. The issue is, many people sell themselves short once they get that diagnoses. They all of a sudden believe they can't do something and so they no longer try. Doing that sets you up for failure because you are not even giving yourself a chance. I don't want to fall into that trap myself. o.o

Yes I have noticed that many of them seem to become Asperger's after they get diagnosed or find out they possibly have it and self diagnose after doing online tests on it and spending hours reading about autism. Then they all of a sudden drop their normal skills they have learned or try and be the way they used to be. I just ask "what the hell?" because I don't see anyone doing this with any other disorders or maybe they do because I know there are others out there who do use their mental illnesses as an excuse but I have never seen anyone try and be anxiety or Bipolar or schizophrenia, or OCD, or borderline, etc. like I see with autism. Also what if it turned out they didn't have it and they were just misdiagnosed or weren't properly diagnosed or the diagnoses was just handed to them for educational purposes? Also what if their symptoms turned out to be due to something else?

But sadly I have fallen into that too as a teen and I was very confused. Plus I grew up around disabilities so I always saw some kids getting special treatment and rules not always applying to them so when I learned at 15 I had a disability, I wanted that same privileged too because I thought I was supposed to have it. But my mom says I took it all literal so I think that is what aspies are doing, taking it too literal.

Calico said:
Yes I have noticed that many of them seem to become Asperger's after they get diagnosed or find out they possibly have it and self diagnose after doing online tests on it and spending hours reading about autism. Then they all of a sudden drop their normal skills they have learned or try and be the way they used to be. I just ask "what the hell?" because I don't see anyone doing this with any other disorders or maybe they do because I know there are others out there who do use their mental illnesses as an excuse but I have never seen anyone try and be anxiety or Bipolar or schizophrenia, or OCD, or borderline, etc. like I see with autism. Also what if it turned out they didn't have it and they were just misdiagnosed or weren't properly diagnosed or the diagnoses was just handed to them for educational purposes? Also what if their symptoms turned out to be due to something else?

But sadly I have fallen into that too as a teen and I was very confused. Plus I grew up around disabilities so I always saw some kids getting special treatment and rules not always applying to them so when I learned at 15 I had a disability, I wanted that same privileged too because I thought I was supposed to have it. But my mom says I took it all literal so I think that is what aspies are doing, taking it too literal.

I've been officially diagnosed with mild aspergers and it's on my medical records, and was done by a professional, mine is slightly worse than most, which means I find certain fabrics painful to touch, I could go on and on. (plus you have to take into consideration that I didn't get the support most people would of got as it was discovered at a later age, had a SSO but not like full on social skill training or anything. I can't even give eye contact or walk barefoot on sand. (I also have been diagnosed with hearing impairment which i think is getting worse)

I've also been diagnosed with ADHD and hearing impairment, it's gotten quite bad though. Though I'm not sure if ADHD is still on my records. I honestly don't know what ends up on your medical records, I've only got a basic idea of what's on there. I even had a referral for depression (to go to a psychologist) from a doctor before, so I'm not even sure if that will end up on there. (lets say it was something serious (ie planning suicide) had someone find out, but i'm not going to exactly disclose that here. (lets say someone found out, and told my mother -.- grr)

I've got other things that haven't been diagnosed, but am in the process of getting them diagnosed, namely anxiety for example. I get panic attacks so bad that sometimes i nearly faint due to them.

But I would say the most thing that gives me the trouble is my hearing impairment, not sure if it's getting worse but half the time I can't make out what people are saying.

Last edited:
Shybug said:
which means I find certain fabrics painful to touch

Certain fabrics to me are like that too. Heck, I wear socks like 24/7 other than when I'm in the shower because I can't stand how it feels to walk barefoot. It's all like a chalkboard to me for some reason lol.

(plus you have to take into consideration that I didn't get the support most people would of got as it was discovered at a later age, had a SSO but not like full on social skill training or anything. I can't even give eye contact or walk barefoot on sand. (I also have been diagnosed with hearing impairment which i think is getting worse)

Many people get diagnosed much later than even you have. For example, I have not been diagnosed with anything at all because I was never brought to a doctor except maybe once (mainly a check up due to panic attacks), for any sort of problem that occured. I am 29 now almost 30.

Though I'm not sure if ADHD is still on my records.

Does ADHD ever go away? o.o

I've got other things that haven't been diagnosed, but am in the process of getting them diagnosed, namely anxiety for example. I get panic attacks so bad that sometimes i nearly faint due to them.

Ya, them pesky panic attacks. Even a small prick to my finger to draw a little blood sets it off for me XD. Even social situations can set it off. Feeling hungry or having a stomach ache can also set it off. Getting hurt too. Oh, and I absolutely cannot drink too many energy drinks. I can have like one, but any more than that and it's game over. I took a 5-hour energy while at work once ... and let me just say in the middle of lunch rush I started to have a panic attack. I felt like I was dying. I couldn't sit still but I had to because I felt like I was going to faint. Shaking. Totally pale white. Blurred vision. Dizzy. Sick to my stomach. It lasted for like 2 hours. They sent me home early obviously and even almost had to call an ambulence.

Then when it went away, we decided to go to the store, but the panic attack came back while we were in the store. We were not in a good neighborhood either, but I couldn't stand up. Just breathing heavily outside on the sidewalk .. again feeling like I was going to die. And yet again, my sister wanted to call an ambulance ... and I was like no ... don't. I told her ... it's just a panic attack ... it will subside just need to wait a bit. I need to relax.

Anyway, I got a bit better and we were able to get home just fine. Point is, ever since ... my panic attacks have been far worse. I can't even stay in a car for long periods of time now without having a drink, otherwise, I will have a panic attack. I never had issues with riding in cars before. Now it's something I rarely ever want to do. I also seem to get them randomly for what seems to be no reason at all.

I used to have these panic attacks a lot while in elementary school. I was actually once taken to a doctor because of it, said it was likely due to stress and such. But of course, my mom never went much further than that or did any sort of follow ups. There were so many times they were about to take me to a hospital during those attacks but they never did. You would think with things being that bad at such a young age they would do something more ... but nope.

Anyway, On a side note I have taken screenings before.
The list of things I need to get checked out are Anger, Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Panic Disorder, ADHD, Autism, Depression, and BPD. All of which came out as high risk besides ADHD which came out more toward the middle.

Maybe some day I will actually get a diagnoses for some or all of these, I hope not all x.x

Shybug said:
I've been officially diagnosed with mild aspergers and it's on my medical records, and was done by a professional, mine is slightly worse than most, which means I find certain fabrics painful to touch, I could go on and on. (plus you have to take into consideration that I didn't get the support most people would of got as it was discovered at a later age, had a SSO but not like full on social skill training or anything. I can't even give eye contact or walk barefoot on sand. (I also have been diagnosed with hearing impairment which i think is getting worse)

I've also been diagnosed with ADHD and hearing impairment, it's gotten quite bad though. Though I'm not sure if ADHD is still on my records. I honestly don't know what ends up on your medical records, I've only got a basic idea of what's on there. I even had a referral for depression (to go to a psychologist) from a doctor before, so I'm not even sure if that will end up on there. (lets say it was something serious (ie planning suicide) had someone find out, but i'm not going to exactly disclose that here. (lets say someone found out, and told my mother -.- grr)

But I would say the most thing that gives me the trouble is my hearing impairment, not sure if it's getting worse but half the time I can't make out what people are saying.

So that means you shouldn't have too much trouble learning to get through social situations because you have mild Asperger's you say. It means you can act normal and are not disabled and you can learn and get by in life and learn social skills and it shouldn't be too hard or impossible unless the doctor over estimated your condition at the time of the diagnoses if you find it impossible to learn and do without help and support and you say you are worse than most? That seems to imply you're not so mild and you are on the severe end of the spectrum. Only other way what could be stopping you from trying is if you have anxiety as you also say you probably have and sometimes mild Asperger's isn't always an issue someone has because they have more going on too than just autism that gives them roadblocks. You say you have ADHD and worse hearing impairment and possibly anxiety because you get panic attacks.

I also can't stand certain fabrics either and sometimes things get uncomfortable on me I just deal with it. I don't like going bare foot but yet sometimes I don't like how the socks feel in my feet when they are sweaty but I think going bare foot is worse. I am always wearing out my socks but to me they can be replaced even if they cost money. But yet I went barefoot when I was little so it's as if I have developed a dislike of certain feels. I also don't like kissing and I always feel the need to wipe the spot where the lips touched.

- - - Updated - - -

Does ADHD ever go away? o.o

Actually it can. The reason why some kids grow out of it is because their brains finally mature so they are able to control that part of their brain and then the diagnoses no longer fits.

Calico said:
Actually it can. The reason why some kids grow out of it is because their brains finally mature so they are able to control that part of their brain and then the diagnoses no longer fits.

Interesting, that was something I was not aware of. Thank you. :3. I thought ADHD was one of those things that when you have it, you have it and that is it. While symptoms can improve you still technically would have it.

brabbit1987 said:
Interesting, that was something I was not aware of. Thank you. :3. I thought ADHD was one of those things that when you have it, you have it and that is it. While symptoms can improve you still technically would have it.

It was something I read in a book by a doctor. I forget the name of it. I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid and then that diagnoses seems to no longer fit so I had been questioning if I rather had true ADD to begin with but after reading that, maybe my brain just matured in my teens in high school. I still can't listen to lectures and I still get lost when people gives me details instead of a direct answer when I ask a question. But homework was very hard when I was a kid and school because I could never focus and do my school work but with everything else I enjoyed doing such as playing and watching TV, I was fine. But with anything I didn't like doing and anything I found boring was hard and I couldn't follow directions. I still can't remember them so I need steps. But my mom understood so she gave me a quiet room and also would send my brothers upstairs to play so I could do my homework.

Can you give us an update after this? I really wanna see how it works out for you. I'd call the cops to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back