Neeed help looking for a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
askmelater47 said:
Just stating the facts here. Everyone who commented after me about the focus has had many of them. Not one was ever good enough to be kept or lived long enough to make any sort of impression. I've never known one to live past 10 years without having some sort of catastrophic engine or transmission failure (or both). I've never bought one and never will but 2 of my close friends have bought one from a dealer even and both had completely died within 3 months. One of those friends only bought hers(against many people's advice) because after trying 4 different dealers they all told her the same thing and that was the only car they could get her financed for was a fuck-us. Meaning that those dealers really really wanted to get rid of those cars and nobody else would buy them.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
Where did I say any of them suffered end game failure ? I didn't ! Mostly I just upgraded for younger or better spec
As I've said it must be the USA version that's crap ! as there's plenty of 16 year old ones in Uk and Europe still going strong , Don't tar all Ford Focus's with same brush Just because Ford usa built it on the cheap ! The Ford Europe one is ok and better specked
P/s Servicing does help to keep the car going for longer

askmelater47 said:
Just stating the facts here. Everyone who commented after me about the focus has had many of them. Not one was ever good enough to be kept or lived long enough to make any sort of impression. I've never known one to live past 10 years without having some sort of catastrophic engine or transmission failure (or both). I've never bought one and never will but 2 of my close friends have bought one from a dealer even and both had completely died within 3 months. One of those friends only bought hers(against many people's advice) because after trying 4 different dealers they all told her the same thing and that was the only car they could get her financed for was a fuck-us. Meaning that those dealers really really wanted to get rid of those cars and nobody else would buy them.

Naw I've never had one mess up I usually flip my old cars for cash when I get bored, or older ones I would derby or autocross depending on body damage. I've wrecked a few from deer to just getting drunk and doing donuts in the back field untill they flip. Not many people take care of the cars but if taken care of they last forever. My grandmother bought a focus brand new in 1998 still drives it today never had more than brakes done on it and an alternator once. That's 18 years not a single failure. My last one was 13 years old I bought it for $2300 drove it for a year and sold it to my friend for $200 and a bottle of bacardi when his chevy cavalier died and he still has it today. He actually bought an SVT focus in 2015 to replace this one which he is planning to pass to his wife's little brother next year.

parcelboy2 said:
Where did I say any of them suffered end game failure ? I didn't ! Mostly I just upgraded for younger or better spec
As I've said it must be the USA version that's crap ! as there's plenty of 16 year old ones in Uk and Europe still going strong , Don't tar all Ford Focus's with same brush Just because Ford usa built it on the cheap ! The Ford Europe one is ok and better specked
P/s Servicing does help to keep the car going for longer
The us spec ones are the same as the Europe spec focuses minus one engine option and the high end performance RS. We had the SVT over here but there was not any differences I am aware of.

My neighbor has a focus, and so does my cousin. They think they're relatively good, neither of them have had any major problems. Now other ford models yeah. . . you start running into cheap AF production. (The escape for example is cheap as fuck, my aunt has one and for the price point could get a dodge journey or something which is far better equipped but I digress) If you're looking for cheap reliable something like a focus is probably a good idea.

The only focus's I know of are American and of the MY2000-2005. The point is your best chance of getting a decent car in America requiring the least maintenance is to get a big name Japanese brand.

askmelater47 said:
The only focus's I know of are American and of the MY2000-2005. The point is your best chance of getting a decent car in America requiring the least maintenance is to get a big name Japanese brand.

You really haven't looked at the market recently have you anything with Toyota badging on it goes for a premium here as does Honda. We've had a fairly large import boom lately with the Fast and the Furious generation getting to the point where they're getting licenses anything that's considered a tuner in their eyes these days are selling for twice what they're worth and most the time they're in very bad repair or have been hacked and slashed and are in all around not reliable condition because of know-it-all teenagers and botched mod installs. Every now and then you can find a good quality car at its value but these days those are getting harder and harder to find. If you want cheap and reliable a good one to look at is a early to mid 90's DOHC 2.0L dodge neon with a 5 speed. The early to mid-90s model Neons we're probably that platforms most stable years. Any car is a good car, problems only start to happen when you neglect maintenance or push them past the limits of what they were designed to be driven. And as for the Japanese manufacturers last I checked Japan has laws against operating an engine with more than 200,000 miles in Japanese manufacturer's design these cars to run really good until about 200,000 then they will self destruct that's why the JDM import Market in America it's so cheap it's mostly Japanese spec engines that are no longer legal for operation in Japan get sold really cheap and sent overseas if your getting a Toyota or a Honda look at the mileage if it's over 160000 or 170000 don't buy it you've maybe only got two years before the vehicle will start falling apart rapidly this is why doing research on cars is really really important, understanding the needs of the generation in which a car was built will also help you understand how to take care of said car and keep it running transition years are always the roughest vehicles 1998 to the 2001 mid eighties these are your vehicle technology generation leap years these are going to be the rattiest vehicles because they're newcomers in a generation that is too lazy to read the owner's manual and find out how to take care of the new technology oftentimes until that technology is considered widespread and common these cars are going to be in the worst condition and they're going to fail more frequently, always avoid 1st and 2nd production year vehicles as often times they don't have the more efficient or streamlined systems and anytime you buy a used vehicle always take it by the manufacturer and run the VIN number to see if it has any recalls that have not been done a lot of times they are free and will solve 90% of problems and it's a very overlooked area regarding vehicle maintenance

askmelater47 said:

That thing your browsing this forum on use it to search Ford Europe
The Focus has been out since 1997 here and is on its 6'th shape and still one of the biggest selling medium cars in Europe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I finally got a car it's a 2000 Chevy prizm 5 speed stick shift car and you'll never believe this it has 400,000 miles on it with no check engine light. All it needed was a new clutch but still needs new rotors and brakes. You would be surprised on how well it drives especially with that many miles on it. Even the mechanics were surprised when they installed the new clutch with the performance of the car. The car was $450.00 on Craigslist and the repair was $250.00 because I gave them my old Mitsubishi diamante to make up the difference in cost for the repairs to my car.

dragon123 said:
I finally got a car it's a 2000 Chevy prizm 5 speed stick shift car and you'll never believe this it has 400,000 miles on it with no check engine light. All it needed was a new clutch but still needs new rotors and brakes. You would be surprised on how well it drives especially with that many miles on it. Even the mechanics were surprised when they installed the new clutch with the performance of the car. The car was $450.00 on Craigslist and the repair was $250.00 because I gave them my old Mitsubishi diamante to make up the difference in cost for the repairs to my car.
That's not a bad car. Semi-secretly it is a Toyota corolla, just branded as a Geo and then rebranded later on as a Chevy. I had a friend who delivered pizza with one for years and years.

Yeah all the US cars are crap now. That's because everyone wants them to be cheap. The rest doesn't seem to matter any more, so they break too soon or need excessive maintenance. Which is stupid since that ends up costing us more overall.

Even my 12 year old jeep got to a point the maintenance was costing me more than getting a new car (so I did). And that was with every bit of maintenance being taken care of since I bought it new.

Slomo said:
Yeah all the US cars are crap now. That's because everyone wants them to be cheap. The rest doesn't seem to matter any more, so they break too soon or need excessive maintenance. Which is stupid since that ends up costing us more overall.

Even my 12 year old jeep got to a point the maintenance was costing me more than getting a new car (so I did). And that was with every bit of maintenance being taken care of since I bought it new.
I don't think I've ever owned anything newer than 1991 and that was the year I was born lol. Most my vehicles have been mid-to-late eighties Ford pickups, back when Ford pickups were still top of the market and completely Bulletproof. I still have my 1988 Ford F150 the chassis and the original engine block is closing in on two million miles I think it's about time for a new crate engine still runs like a top but it drinks about a quart of oil month normally when I get to this bad I just strip it down bore it out but the last time I rebuilt that I finally hit the .60 over mark and I wouldn't trust a street engine to go any further than that cylinder walls are too thin at that point I may take it up to a 351 Windsor instead of a 302. Buried somewhere out back in the barn I have my old 89 Bronco mud truck it's got a 20-over 351 with a stroker kit and a mild cam and a tuned fuel injection I think that'll fit nicely down in my F-150.

w0lfpack91 said:
I've had several ford focus, never had a problem out of any of them great little cars. When it comes to grade A crap nothing can beat a general motors vehicle.

Constantly
Having
Every
Vehicle
Recalled
Over
Lousy
Engineering
Techniques
It's actually...

Cracked
Heads
Every
Valve
Rattles
Oil
Leaks
Every
Time

dragon123 said:
Hi I am looking at buying a car off of craigslist for around $500.00-$700.00 and
cant seem to find a car I really want but there are some cars that fit my budget so its not a total waste i only have until January first to get a car because the weather outside is getting really cold out. if you are in the Atlanta or Woodstock area and have a car to sell please PM me I am in Woodstock GA also I would be ever so greateful for any help in looking for a car thank you in advance and Happy Holidays :smile1:

At that price you'll be lucky if the car makes it home before the transmission explodes.

rennecfox said:
At that price you'll be lucky if the car makes it home before the transmission explodes.

Not Quite. if you know how to Spot a Good Car it can be done. i have never paid more than $1100 for a car before in my life, my most recent one was my celica and it only cost me $600. its one of the best running vehicles i have had in a while. where i am from its common to find vehicles for far less than average national Value simply because there is so many cars here. often times people will hock them for less than $1000 or trade for ATV or Guns/hunting equipment.

it really just depends on location and the intuition of the buyer to do their research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back