Potty training age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in certain cases it is ok to wait to potty train. I was around four when I was finally potty trained, but that was because of my CP. Many children take longer to train because of physical disabilities, and Autism. I do think an attempt should be made to potty train any child, even if it isn´t completely successful. It might be a skill that just take time, or extra assistance might be needed.

Reactions: AJFan2020
For ADHD he takes Ritalin three times a day at school

I see. That stuff definitely allows hyper-focusing on one specific task. It's really quite miraculous for a stimulant like that to cause such an effect, but it really does work.

I would have figured his OCD would keep him for wetting himself the same way the sanitation keeps him from using the bathrooms at school

I think of it as "this stuff's already inside my body almost all the time anyway, not much harm if it's one step further along the way."

But it did take me a long time to square that away, and if anything leaks I'll jump back into germ-eradication mode and have to wash/scrub everything with bleach.

put the TV on an Odd number volume

Oh you monster! (Just kidding)

That one still bothers the hell out of me to this day, hahah. Odd numbers are so unpleasant.

Exposure therapy is really tough, I can go days or even weeks obsessing over one thing, but it really does work if you can manage to resist the compulsions. The obsessions remain, but cause a little less anxiety next time.

oh God, the dark ages., theres a bleep I haven't heard in forever.

That it was. That it was. I hate to be critical of someone's artistic output, but his "art" will haunt me forever :damnpc:

goten said:
I see. That stuff definitely allows hyper-focusing on one specific task. It's really quite miraculous for a stimulant like that to cause such an effect, but it really does work.

I suspect at some point in the future they'll discover that aspect isn't a symptom, but instead a direct indicator of the actual problem. Due to say some genetic or developmental problem, the body reacts the opposite way to stimulants and depressants. For them, their body's own self-regulating systems achieve backwards results which leads to the cognitive/behavioral problems. And that's why "opposites-day medicine" treatment works for them.

Speaking from personal experience, there are some kids that just don't want to potty train no matter what you do. Truthfully, I was roughly 4 1/2 years of age before I finally got it, and if I remember correctly, my folks had been trying for a better part of a year to get me potty trained.

I will admit that I technically am on the spectrum (as much as I don't like to talk about it), but I was an advanced child. I hit a lot of milestones early. The only reason it took so long for me to ditch the diapers was because I was really stubborn about it, according to my folks. The disability had nothing to do with it.

I have noticed, as well as many others have mentioned, that it does seem that potty training is occurring at a later age than before, and I get that there are a lot of different circumstances that contribute to it. I guess when it comes down to it, as long as kids are potty trained around an appropriate age, then it's no big deal.

Either that or, and I know I'm completely crazy for saying this because it'll probably never happen, potty training may become either optional or obsolete. Again, crazy thought. No way it would possibly ever happen.

So here's my thoughts on the idea of a five year old in diapers...

First, as an ABDL, I know we all have thoughts about what parents should/shouldn't do to encourage their children out of diapers. Having raised kids myself, I can tell you most children get over the poop thing pretty quick. I mean, a two year old might poop himself, but a three year old knows the smell and sensations are not something that they enjoy. Consequently, most of them will train out of pooping their diapers with a fair amount of ease. As for pee, that's a whole other thing. As many have said, some take it way past the normal age of 2-3, possibly because of the ease of using a pullup for nighttime bedwetting, and daytime accidents, as well. Most kids, though, have normal feelings of shame, and/or humiliation, at having to wear diapers, like a baby, beyond the "normal" age of training. They have friends that react to finding their friend still using diapers, and, of course, schools have regulations about kids showing up for kindergarten in diapers. It places way too much stress on the system of teachers/admins to deal with kids still in diapers, so they're oftentimes not allowed to start schooling, until trained. This, of course, adds further humiliation to a kid, to be set back further than their friends, siblings, and all of these things help to contribute to help a kid learn that it's just easier to use the toilet, and flush, and all their troubles go down the drain. It's just easier.

So, why the kid in diapers, at age five, as the OP mentioned? Who really knows. Developmentally disabled? Maybe. Mother not good at dealing with training? Possibly. I mean, whose business is it really? The kid might just find security in them, much like many of us do, and maybe the mother just doesn't want to deal with the perception that she's a bad mother for not dressing her kid in something he/she needs, PERHAPS because they had a few (on purpose???) accidents, and pullups are just plain easier than going through all the consternation of arguing over controlling them out of the protection. I don't claim to know, but my thoughts are that most kids that develop, as their peers do, will be out of diapers long before the age of school. Exceptions exist, but it's not the rule. As some have said, parents are just a whole different thing than they were several decades ago, and that doesn't make them bad people, just a bit lazier than previous generations of parents, I'm guessing.

Truth is, I won't be a hypocrite about it all. If I had to do it over, I might have tried a couple on purpose accidents, to see if my parents would have come up with the diapered solution. In my day, it would have been really rare for them to come up with that solution, compared to the wetting alarms, and plastic sheets, etc., even though Sears had bedwetter pants for sale by catalog. Only, I would have come up with the idea that I should be back in bedwetter pants / diapers. Of course, I always felt that way, from the age of two, but, as I said, my own personal humiliation and shame at the thought of being somewhat behind my peers would have totally freaked me, and, instead, I played out all my diaper desires in my brain.

Jamieboy said:
Truth is, I won't be a hypocrite about it all. If I had to do it over, I might have tried a couple on purpose accidents, to see if my parents would have come up with the diapered solution. In my day, it would have been really rare for them to come up with that solution, compared to the wetting alarms, and plastic sheets, etc., even though Sears had bedwetter pants for sale by catalog. Only, I would have come up with the idea that I should be back in bedwetter pants / diapers. Of course, I always felt that way, from the age of two, but, as I said, my own personal humiliation and shame at the thought of being somewhat behind my peers would have totally freaked me, and, instead, I played out all my diaper desires in my brain.
I was interested in training pants from about the age of four, but I never told a soul or really tried acting on my desires. In fact, the idea of wearing training pants myself never really occurred to me. This was probably due to two factors: 1)that my interests were tied with masturbation, for which I would be scolded and told to ''stop fidgeting,'' and 2)my mother drilled it into my head that training pants were dumb, little more than diapers. Apparently my brother got cloth trainers back in the 80's (I didn't know this until years later), but I was not so lucky.

Looking back, I too sometimes wonder what would have happened if I tried acting on my desires, perhaps staging some not-so-accidental accidents or something along those lines. Given my mother's strong opinions on potty training and Pull-Ups, I don't think I would have gotten what I wanted. But like I said, the idea of actually wearing training pants just really wasn't one of my fantasies. I was content with seeing the commercials and certain episodes of cartoons with potty-training and wetting themes, which makes my story of how I became a diaper lover pretty different from most others'.

My daughter wanted to potty train and was fully potty trained by her 2nd birthday. I don't remember her ever having an accident after that.

My son on the other hand... we started trying to potty train him before his 2nd birthday, and got him bowel trained just before his 3rd birthday. He was in speech therapy with the school district from 3½ years of age. At 4½ years of age, the school district announced his speech therapy would stop if he didn't start kindergarten, and he wouldn't be allowed to attend if he was still in diapers. We barely got him out of daytime diapers in time to start kindergarten 3 months later. We finally got him out of bedtime diapers around the age of 6½, a few weeks before I started needing diapers. I'm pretty sure he has high functioning Asperger's.

PaddedBrony said:
I will admit that I technically am on the spectrum (as much as I don't like to talk about it), but I was an advanced child.

Society has evolved way faster than our species has. It's exploded in the past 100 years or so thanks to technology.

The traits of people with Asperger's, ADHD, etc would have been an evolutionary advantage. Not if we were all like that, but the diversity allowed us all to flourish through working in groups. Everything had its place.

It's only in today's society where all the traditional roles for survival no longer apply that psychologists with fancy degrees treat anything that doesn't fit in perfectly with society as it is currently designed as a disorder. It never dawns on people that maybe some kids just aren't meant to sit still in a desk all day at school doing nothing but learning. It doesn't dawn on them that maybe there's a link between high intelligence, specialization skills, and Asperger's, and that without it, our technological advances would have been severely hindered.

It's all a load of crap. If you have autism and your IQ scores in around 50-70, then that is for sure a negative trait. But if you're scoring 120-160 and considered advanced, then screw them. Screw psychologists saying Asperger's is a disorder. Screw our peers that would try and ridicule and belittle someone over it.

I'd rather be smart than be whatever psychology deems is "normal"

Either that or, and I know I'm completely crazy for saying this because it'll probably never happen, potty training may become either optional or obsolete. Again, crazy thought. No way it would possibly ever happen.

Not today. Too much odor, chances for rashes, chances for UTIs for women, lots of waste, too expensive (disposable) or too difficult to clean (cloth)

But if tech around this radically improves to fix all of those concerns, I can see it happening. Imagine eliminating the waste from using a toilet and toilet paper, imagine using the waste as fertilizer or an energy source instead of spending money on sewage treatement, imagine all the productivity gains from people not having to take breaks from work every few hours. The last one alone could well lead to its use in situations where a person really can't step away. Like surgeons, airline pilots, and so forth. And every employers loves to increase productivity.

The tech would really have to be very different from today's diapers though. It would have to start as something entirely new and meant for adult use first, not for infants.

Closing, as these posts are either way off the original topic or are similar to an old site which we'd rather not affiliate with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back