New daytime diaper - ABU SDKv2 or Preschool plastic backed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnd567

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
So I'm looking for a daytime diaper. My normal night diaper is an ABU LittlePaws and they are my favorite but I want something a bit thinner for day use. I know this means I will have to change more often but that's ok. My question is: Which is better/more absorbent- the ABU SDKv2 or the new plastic-backed ABU Preschools? Thakns

I haven't tried SDK, but Preschool plastics are comfy and not as thick, though still kinda thick imo. I got them with the Black Friday sale so maybe it's a bad batch, but the tapes are terrible. They pop. :c

North shore supreme and idSlip are pretty good. Nice and thin and fairly comfy but with a higher sap content they still hold quite a bit.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Your best option would be to try a bag of each and take notes, if you are able to.

Personally, I would recommend the Preschool plastic backed.

They are about 20% thinner than SDK v2, but because there are two tapes, you can position the bottom set to get a good seal around your legs. And because of that, they'll last about as long as the SDK v2's before leaking.

Since the Preschool are quite a bit less expensive, they're your best bet.

Cereal said:
the tapes are terrible. They pop. :c

Same experience here. It's either a weaker adhesive or a less clingy landing zone than the Space, LittlePawz, Simple. I have to use a tiny strip of clear packing tape on each of the bottom tapes to keep them on securely the entire time. A little annoying but have it down to only adding another five seconds onto each change now.

gnd567 said:
So I'm looking for a daytime diaper.

I've had to go through that several times in the last few years, because the companies making the diaper I selected keep dropping them, sending me on the hunt again.

Currently I'm going with the ABU Preschool Plastic, which have the maximum amount of padding I can handle comfortably on a daily basis. There are cheaper options available, but they all have their issues. My previous daywear was TotalDry Plus, which were considerably cheaper but had multiple problems. My list of concerns for daytime diapers:
- tapes that don't break or pop
- sides that don't stretch, requiring a refit once or twice a day
- leak guard elastic that doesn't separate from the leak guard material
- leak guards that don't separate from the liner, or liner from the shell
- padding that can hold the "W" shape over my pants crotch and not keep trying to shift 100% to the left or right side throughout the day
- back AND front waist elastic, for a more comfortable yet snug fit
- four tapes for a better overall fit
- soft plastic shell that's durable enough to not easily be torn or punctured
- padding that doesn't clump from medium activity (dry)
- moderate to low noise

ABU's (plastic) preschools tick ALL those boxes, and I haven't found anything else that does. Most diapers miss several marks.

Since I rarely wet while at work, overall capacity isn't a bit deal, though I don't care for the feel of thin diapers. Also for me, cost isn't a huge problem, though I still don't want to pay as much for a lighter daytime diaper as I do for say, an overnight premium. ABU are at the high end of what I'm willing to pay, but it's worth it. Five diapers a week at 4.3 weeks/month is 22 diapers a month, about $30. I can accept that. Most people pay about double that for their cell phone a month. The shell art is nothing I'm really interested in, but isn't "something I wouldn't want to be caught in" - not too babyish / girly. I could go for slightly thinner for a little lower cost, or a different tape panel art, but other than that there's nothing I would change about them, and I'm happy that ABU has made such a good product available to me. I hope they continue to be available for a long time.

Tykable's original waddlers were very close on my list above. They had a slight clumping issue, leak guard elastic sometimes "escaped" and dug into my skin, and the shell was easily torn/punctured. Then they increased the thickness and price with the overnights, so that totally removed them from my list.

bambinod said:
I've had to go through that several times in the last few years, because the companies making the diaper I selected keep dropping them, sending me on the hunt again.

Currently I'm going with the ABU Preschool Plastic, which have the maximum amount of padding I can handle comfortably on a daily basis. There are cheaper options available, but they all have their issues. My previous daywear was TotalDry Plus, which were considerably cheaper but had multiple problems. My list of concerns for daytime diapers:
- tapes that don't break or pop
- sides that don't stretch, requiring a refit once or twice a day
- leak guard elastic that doesn't separate from the leak guard material
- leak guards that don't separate from the liner, or liner from the shell
- padding that can hold the "W" shape over my pants crotch and not keep trying to shift 100% to the left or right side throughout the day
- back AND front waist elastic, for a more comfortable yet snug fit
- four tapes for a better overall fit
- soft plastic shell that's durable enough to not easily be torn or punctured
- padding that doesn't clump from medium activity (dry)
- moderate to low noise

ABU's (plastic) preschools tick ALL those boxes, and I haven't found anything else that does. Most diapers miss several marks.

Since I rarely wet while at work, overall capacity isn't a bit deal, though I don't care for the feel of thin diapers. Also for me, cost isn't a huge problem, though I still don't want to pay as much for a lighter daytime diaper as I do for say, an overnight premium. ABU are at the high end of what I'm willing to pay, but it's worth it. Five diapers a week at 4.3 weeks/month is 22 diapers a month, about $30. I can accept that. Most people pay about double that for their cell phone a month. The shell art is nothing I'm really interested in, but isn't "something I wouldn't want to be caught in" - not too babyish / girly. I could go for slightly thinner for a little lower cost, or a different tape panel art, but other than that there's nothing I would change about them, and I'm happy that ABU has made such a good product available to me. I hope they continue to be available for a long time.

Tykable's original waddlers were very close on my list above. They had a slight clumping issue, leak guard elastic sometimes "escaped" and dug into my skin, and the shell was easily torn/punctured. Then they increased the thickness and price with the overnights, so that totally removed them from my list.

Thanks. I will have to try them. Guess I will have to buy a 10-pack and see as it looks like only the cloth-like version is available as a sample.

Cereal said:
I haven't tried SDK, but Preschool plastics are comfy and not as thick, though still kinda thick imo. I got them with the Black Friday sale so maybe it's a bad batch, but the tapes are terrible. They pop. :c

The first production run, we used the same tapes as the Space diaper, which is a great tape, but we found that it takes less tension to remove them from the new type of landing used on the Preschool diaper. Also, we found that the new landing builds up more static, and that will screw with the tapes. To fix this, in the next production run, we are increasing the tapes from being 4.0CM X 4.0CM to being 4.5CM x 4.5CM. This should bring a massive improvement. Next production run we are using an entirely different tape with a different type of adhesive (we couldn't get it in time for this run), that should completely eliminate the problem. My recommendation is to make sure you nail the tape on the first time you stick it down, and maybe try rubbing a dryer sheet over the tape panel to eliminate static (you can also keep that inside the diaper pack when you're done).

Thank you for the feedback!!

-Casey Strom
ABU

klo555 said:
The first production run, we used the same tapes as the Space diaper, which is a great tape, but we found that it takes less tension to remove them from the new type of landing used on the Preschool diaper. Also, we found that the new landing builds up more static, and that will screw with the tapes. To fix this, in the next production run, we are increasing the tapes from being 4.0CM X 4.0CM to being 4.5CM x 4.5CM. This should bring a massive improvement. Next production run we are using an entirely different tape with a different type of adhesive (we couldn't get it in time for this run), that should completely eliminate the problem. My recommendation is to make sure you nail the tape on the first time you stick it down, and maybe try rubbing a dryer sheet over the tape panel to eliminate static (you can also keep that inside the diaper pack when you're done).

Thank you for the feedback!!

-Casey Strom
ABU
Wow! A response from an actual ABU Rep! Thanks for the info and let me just say that I wish all customer service was like that! You guys are great.

I had no idea static was such an issue with tapes? I've only ever seen a tiny bit of static from pulling a tape off.

I just received a mixed case of SDK's and preschools few weeks ago. First order from "Abu" BTW and I love them. I was finally able to get the preschool to leak after about 10 hours. I was going to take a shower and let go a flood in a pretty saturated diaper and a few drips ran down my leg. I like how the padding stays together no clumping. And fairly discrete as in not too thick. I haven't been able to max a SDK yet, I guess I will just keep trying

The preschools do hold a nice amount, but I too have been having major issue with the tapes. Sometimes they stick really well, other times I can't get them to stick at all. Hopefully this is fixed in the next run as Casey states, it would vastly improve the only weakness of this diaper.

SilentKnights said:
The preschools do hold a nice amount, but I too have been having major issue with the tapes. Sometimes they stick really well, other times I can't get them to stick at all. Hopefully this is fixed in the next run as Casey states, it would vastly improve the only weakness of this diaper.

I am very sorry for the issues you are having - the production batch we just did (not for sale yet) has larger tapes. The following batch will have clear tapes that have a 'gooier' adhesive. Thank you for your patience!

-Casey Strom, ABU

Is it weird to say I love y'all to Abu peoples?

Fudge it.

I love y'all. <3

SilentKnights said:
The preschools do hold a nice amount, but I too have been having major issue with the tapes. Sometimes they stick really well, other times I can't get them to stick at all.

I assume you mean the clothlike? The tapes on the plastic stick like superglue?

I would go with SDKs over plastic preschools. Currently, there is a tape issue with the plastic preschools as they don't stay fastened. With that said, if you're looking for a good daytime diaper you should consider the regular cloth preschools. They are super absorbent and very discreet.

Geekboy said:
Currently, there is a tape issue with the plastic preschools as they don't stay fastened.

I've had the opposite experience? Those tapes for me have been among the best for holding fast and not stretching or breaking?

bambinod said:
I've had the opposite experience? Those tapes for me have been among the best for holding fast and not stretching or breaking?

You seem to be one of the lucky ones. By being very careful when applying them to get as much flat coverage as possible and rubbing them like a madman, I've cut the failures by quite a bit. Even so, they're extending the tapes by .5cm in the next run and looking at different taping panel construction to deal with the problem. I think they're good, sticky tapes but something in conjunction with that taping panel creates a agreater likelihood of problems.

Trevor said:
You seem to be one of the lucky ones. By being very careful when applying them to get as much flat coverage as possible and rubbing them like a madman, I've cut the failures by quite a bit. Even so, they're extending the tapes by .5cm in the next run and looking at different taping panel construction to deal with the problem. I think they're good, sticky tapes but something in conjunction with that taping panel creates a agreater likelihood of problems.

I still really think it's static electricity buildup that's causing the issue.

I had my first tape failure last night actually, lower left tape pulled off the back. But I had been sitting a lot so that's not too surprising. Still have yet to see one pop or tear. (though I've stretched a few!) We're talking the plastic ones right? not the clothlike? THOSE won't stay stuck very reliably for me. I bought a case but I have no intention of reordering them. Plastic however, that's my new go-to daily diaper!

bambinod said:
I had my first tape failure last night actually, lower left tape pulled off the back. But I had been sitting a lot so that's not too surprising. Still have yet to see one pop or tear. (though I've stretched a few!) We're talking the plastic ones right? not the clothlike? THOSE won't stay stuck very reliably for me. I bought a case but I have no intention of reordering them. Plastic however, that's my new go-to daily diaper!

Definitely talking about Plastic Preschools, as are the other complaints I've seen here and elsewhere. I've got zero interest in clothlike covers. I'm liking the Plastic Preschools aside from the tape trouble, so I'm looking forward to seeing their next run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back