Goverment screwing people over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
Well, I just discovered that VET-FEE help, will literally be abolished, and replaced with "student loan help", which literally fucks with me wanting to do uni in 2018.

Only things that seem to be covered under this change are diplomas, and there is a cap of like $10,000.

Which also seems to fuck with my current diploma, why does the government do stupid changes like these that fuck up a lot of things for people?

So, I'm supposed to fork out 30k out of my arse to do uni in 2018?

Not only that, is the government decided to cut me off welfare, for absolutely no reason at all, which in my situation may result me on being kicked out on the street.

Like shit, not only do I get fucked around by my parents, Fucking welfare treat you like horse shit, cut you off for no reason at all, and treat you like everything they fuck up, is your fault.

I'm sure it's due to something they fucked up, hopefully I don't have to pay back $8,000 for there fuck up's which 90% of it went to my mother anyway.

Now that's half the reason I'm a mental wreck.

Now get this, this literally happened a couple days after I released a encryption tool, not sure if I should go all tin foil hat here, but it seems kind of odd.... Literally, releases encryption tool, a couple days later, cut off welfare.. I'm not sure if there is any connection here... doesn't seem to be any reason at all, for me to get cut off, I'm a student, parents updated there tax information, yet there is me, completely cut off, no updates or anything.

If you made significant revenue from your tool (or if they thought you had for whatever reason) they may be related, but other than that I wouldn't think they were connected.

Unless you've come up with an entirely new algorithm or are doing something else majorly game changing, the government isn't likely to care about yet another tool that lets you encrypt/decrypt files/messages/smoke signals/whatever with some pre-existing algorithm, or even less so, some pre-existing encryption library.

BoundCoder said:
If you made significant revenue from your tool (or if they thought you had for whatever reason) they may be related, but other than that I wouldn't think they were connected.

Unless you've come up with an entirely new algorithm or are doing something else majorly game changing, the government isn't likely to care about yet another tool that lets you encrypt/decrypt files/messages/smoke signals/whatever with some pre-existing algorithm, or even less so, some pre-existing encryption library.

Nope didn't make a cent, just found it odd, literally got cut off a couple days after it became somewhat popular. I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

I don't think it's connected in anyway, but there doesn't seem to be any legitimate reason for me to get cut off right now, I'll wait and see if I get a letter or something. There known to fuck up a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised if they made a mistake and just caught onto it or something.

The only time they cut you off (is if you don't report, and do your employment crap) but with students they rarely cut you off. (me being a student)

Edit, seems to be not releated, a freind is having the same issue

Last edited:
I'm in the USA so not sure about Australian life but I ask nothing from my government and expect the same in return. Of course 40+% of my income is taken by the various levels of government that paid for my K through 12 education and attempts to keep me safe from myself.

Here in the U. S., my wife and I forked out $90,000 to get two of our kids through college. My wife worked two jobs and I worked three. There should be cheaper alternatives to getting a college education. When I went back to school 10 year ago, I attended a junior college and paid $129.00 a course plus text books. Why can't they make no bells and whistles, four year colleges like that? Just tack on two more years at the same cost per course. Their are junior colleges in almost every city across the U. S. It wouldn't be hard to turn them into four year colleges that didn't have dorms and cyclotrons.

My nephew is 35 and makes 6 figures with a high school diploma. Works for a company that makes electric trains.
It is all about connections and ambition. Too much is made of higher education from the viewpoint of making a living.
Once you have the income, you can go to school at night or online if you want to.

Aussie here I thought the HECS system wasn't changing that vet fee help was only private institutions.

Yeah HECS Help doesnt look like its changing for Unis

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ArchtopK said:
My nephew is 35 and makes 6 figures with a high school diploma. Works for a company that makes electric trains.
It is all about connections and ambition. Too much is made of higher education from the viewpoint of making a living.
Once you have the income, you can go to school at night or online if you want to.

Obviously varies from field to field, but at least in software development it makes a huge difference initially, and then a negligible one later on.

It's really hard to get initially hired as a programmer with no degree and no professional experience. A long history of personal projects and even better contributions to established open source projects will help, but a sizable number of companies won't even read the resume on an entry level position if there's no degree (and yes you can say "well I don't want to work for a company like that..", but HR is rarely indicative of the actual experience once you're hired, and a lot of the better companies _have_ to filter on some criteria or they'd be absolutely buried under applications).

Once you've got 5 or so years experience though, the degree doesn't really matter. Employers (again, just in my experience), are going to care much more about what you did at your previous job and what your references have to say about you at this point in your career.

All that said, there are plenty of fields that one can get into and earn a decent income without a degree. Ultimately the decision to go the university route or not _should_ come down to a realistic look at how you plan on making a living and what the education requirements are for your field in your geographic area. Obvious statement, but so few actually heed that, and instead just jump right into a degree that sounds "up their ally" and just assume there will be jobs at the other end.

Adult life is bullshit. Plain and simply. The US government is full of if. You have federal income tax and my state has it's own income tax. On top of that we pay Social Security, welfare, Medicare, and on and on. Then we get taxed on everything that we spend money on. Oh then we legally have to pay for auto insurance, health insurance and we pay to park on roads that were already paid for by taxes.

the government made these changes because of the abysmal rate of students making it past their first year in college, or even finishing.

compounded by the astounding amount of millennials that defaulted on their loans.

I don't mind. when you have a national average of 30% of freshmen students not making it to their sophomore year, let alone 2/3rd that don't end up graduating, it adds up.

I read a figure recently, and I'm not sure how accurate this specific figure is, so I'm noting that.
About 15% of students don't even know how much they are paying for their own schooling..its honestly most likely a higher figure.

Irresponsible loans given out to irresponsible individuals, who irresponsibly don't pay the system back..who's really screwing who?

Last edited:
Yo Shy. Pretty sure VET-FEE doesn't cover uni. The HELP system covers uni fees. Pretty sure any Australia citizen is covered and doesn't even have to apply. You get loaned the money at 1.something% I'm pretty sure and only have to pay it back if you earn over $50k. The uni course will cost you $15-$40k on this loan but you won't even notice it being taken out of your pay checks after you finish uni. Or do you plan to go through a private uni? (For the Americans.. our public unis are often better than the private universities/colleges)
Changes to VET shouldn't impact on uni courses. You can get loans to a maximum of $100k or $126k if you're doing medicine. You don't have to apply for the loan... the uni just does it to the government. Plus, you won't go anywhere near that limit. To put it in perspective my degree cost $15k for the entire 4 years and I've had about $4k a year taken out of my pay checks to pay off the loan. (Will pay it off this year)

The welfare stuff I'm not as sure of though. All I know is they lost my paper work so I never got any... I mean.. "Lost." I know if you are getting AusStudy allowance you'll lose it if you stop studying full time or don't attend enough classes. The other ones depend on job searching or proving a disability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back