Ironic things about ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
I was browsing le laptop section, found a few laptops I liked for $30. I look at the shipping, $172.83.. fuck that.

Go browsing, found a good laptop, but $100 for a laptop from 2004, so I got a bit curious, type in snes, for sale $1000 are you fucking kidding me? You can get them for like $20 at a second hand shop for crying out loud.

Even saw a playstation 1 for $100, games are like $50, why is ebay like this? I can literally get one for $25 plus games for like $2 at a local cash converters. old hardware is practically worthless.

I don't even know anymore xD, I even saw a pentium 4 machine, get this for almost $159 AUD, for that I could build a shitty celeron machine (well I take that back modern celerons are actually nice processors.) downside is the chinese power supply that is practically fireworks taped onto the mains. (Actually I built one in 2013 surprised I didn't get killed by shit chinese "power supplies") xD one of my first pc's I build, I build shitty celeron pc's until I could afford enough to build a gaming rig. (well I'm talking about the modern 1150, or 1155 socket celeron's they practically beat the crap out of most 3-4 year old I3s (well beats my mothers craptop that's for sure) Well my local computer store doesn't have cheap parts stocked anymore so (I couldn't now) but back a few years ago I could whip some crapbox up) minus the hard drive, and extra stick of ram.

Meanwhile I could get a Pentium D for $2 from china AHAHAHA :p HEHE

I wouldn't be surprised if I saw 4 adult diapers for sale for $100, or a bloody cheap chinese watch for $1000

Even my local cash converters, seem to be a bit like that, I saw a I3 machine from a couple years ago for like $200, didn't get it, than I see a crap machine with a celeron from like 10 years ago for $400, WTF. Literally a celeron M from 2004.... I've even seen those "Crapbooks" with intel atom processors which are more useless than a pentium 3, things couldn't even play youtube videos without shitting the bed. I'm not sure how good the modern atoms are though, so I'm not going to judge them all, but back a few years ago, they were the shittest things you could get, you would be better of buying a second hand computer with a pentium core 2 duo in it.

I'm sure not if ebay is always like this, but I only really get cheap Chinese crap off there, like a converter cable, or something, I never get anything like flash drives from ebay, that's a no brainer the chinese are known for there malware and hacking lol. (plus you get sketchy 1TB flash drives with hacked firmware but are only like 4GB) so that's something I don't touch. Usually I buy second hand laptops and write zero / swap out the drives.

Might just wait until next year to get a brand new one covered under warranty or something, something cheap to do the job.

Last edited:
Hey a fellow Aussie!

I haven't come across overpricing in that regard but I have seen old stock sold at new prices (For example a laptop with 780M sold at it's original price still)

I've actually gone to cash converters recently and bought something which looks barely used and at a quarter of new price which I was quite happy with.

My girlfriend's father also bought a used computer with a Pentium D and 9500GT (Without HDD) for $19.

There will always be good second hand deals and rip off second hand deals.

BabyRxn said:
Hey a fellow Aussie!

I haven't come across overpricing in that regard but I have seen old stock sold at new prices (For example a laptop with 780M sold at it's original price still)

I've actually gone to cash converters recently and bought something which looks barely used and at a quarter of new price which I was quite happy with.

My girlfriend's father also bought a used computer with a Pentium D and 9500GT (Without HDD) for $19.

There will always be good second hand deals and rip off second hand deals.

I've come across some good stuff at cash converters before, a nice pentium IV 775 machine for like 50, dad got it for me, and I also got a $1 pc :D pentium 3 worked perfectly (but kind of useless) I miss those days.

I suspect it's because there is, in fact, 'one born every minute.'

Interesting comment about Chinese power supplies, and quite spot on. A number of years ago when I worked IT for our school system, IT had bought computers from the lowest bidder, which was a private supplier, and yes, they were trash with Chinese power supplies. One of the things I had to do at my school, first thing in the morning, was turn on all the computers in the four computer labs. Every once in a while, a power supply would blow, literary blow with a big bang, nearly stopping my heart. Some would smoke and others would burst into flames. Eventually we got rid of them and I took great pleasure throwing them out a two story landing, down into a dumpster.

dogboy said:
Interesting comment about Chinese power supplies, and quite spot on. A number of years ago when I worked IT for our school system, IT had bought computers from the lowest bidder, which was a private supplier, and yes, they were trash with Chinese power supplies. One of the things I had to do at my school, first thing in the morning, was turn on all the computers in the four computer labs. Every once in a while, a power supply would blow, literary blow with a big bang, nearly stopping my heart. Some would smoke and others would burst into flames. Eventually we got rid of them and I took great pleasure throwing them out a two story landing, down into a dumpster.

Yep, Literally fireworks attached to a fan, :p

Yup, ebay is very weird with prices sometimes, I once saw a Macintosh SE quite close to me and it was about $100, but the postage? Wait for it......... $658 ;) And prices for old computers/games etc. have skyrocketed in recent years online because people are more aware that others collect them. Old tech always seems to be rarer and more expensive in Australia as well.

Yeah, I seem to recall eBay charging fees on the sale price but not on the postage so selling items with a high postage cost was a way for sellers to make a little extra money (not sure if this is still the case, it's been a while since I sold anything on eBay). As for the equipment, I've still got my old SNES around here somewhere - sounds like I might be sitting on a goldmine!

cew435 said:
Yeah, I seem to recall eBay charging fees on the sale price but not on the postage so selling items with a high postage cost was a way for sellers to make a little extra money (not sure if this is still the case, it's been a while since I sold anything on eBay). As for the equipment, I've still got my old SNES around here somewhere - sounds like I might be sitting on a goldmine!

This was the case but EBAY finally gave up and just charged the FVF on the shipping fee, too. It really sucks when I'm trying to unload some small stuff. If I can't sell it for at least $3, I can't break even on ebay fees if the shipping is $12.

You search adult baby diapers my gosh they are out rage us.
They buy out ABU diapers from ABU then sell them at 2 at a time jacked up prices.
Other times I find great deals on ebay so you just have to watch the listings very carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back