Biggest obstacles of being incontinent/wearing diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have urge incontinence / OAB and can usually do a full workday in one diaper, without smelling my by then usually very wet diaper. I drink a few mugs of coffee and then mostly water. I wear plastic pants too and an onesie to help keeping things snug.

Previously and in the very beginning I changed my diaper at work because I back then wore thinner diapers, but it was always a pain getting those bags with used diapers with me, without anyone knowing the inside of the bags, or knowing that I'm incontinent and use diapers. NO one from my work or outside my house knows that (Besides my doctor). That is why when I found out which diaper and diaper inserts to use, which could help me getting through the whole day without leaking, was a relief.

NotTheAverageMan said:
Previously and in the very beginning I changed my diaper at work because I back then wore thinner diapers, but it was always a pain getting those bags with used diapers with me, without anyone knowing the inside of the bags, or knowing that I'm incontinent and use diapers. NO one from my work or outside my house knows that (Besides my doctor).

Unluckily for me my bowel accidents are very frequent so I change as soon as I feel my diaper filling up at the back >.<
Even with thicker m4 diapers sometimes they are soaked, the work place must be different but in college people know. It's not easy to hide, middle school and high school was worse cause they picked on me for it.

bambinod said:
Wouldn't that have saved you a little money getting insurance to kick in some for it? Or does your insurance not cover it?

Not sure. I switched jobs a few years ago, but have similar insurance under Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida. I've heard (from their representatives) they are pretty stingy when it comes to covering diapers, especially in this state where a lot of older people wear them. Anybody else have BCBS and get diapers covered? My guess is they would cover a portion and they would be crappy. I'll find out in 2017 because my current supply of Northshore Premiums will run out and we don't have the FSA anymore.

Spaz said:
About six months ago I saw my new primary care physician and was surprised when she offered to write a prescription for my diapers. I turned her down (because we had already budgeted for diapers through our Flexible Spending Account), but it was nice to hear that. She did say that another round of diagnostic tests might be a good idea down the road. She's probably right about that, but my last full workup (urodynamic testing, cytoscope, etc.) was a painful nightmare so I'm not looking forward to it. But, yeah finding the right doctor can be a challenge.

I would have taken the prescription, just to bolster when I sent the stuff into flex spending, or to have insurance buy the diapers and stock up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diapernh said:
I would have taken the prescription, just to bolster when I sent the stuff into flex spending, or to have insurance buy the diapers and stock up.

That's good advice. The prescription still stands though so it's not like I can't use it later.

I've been fully incon for over 25 years so I'm used to it. In the beginning it was a major pain, especially changing a messy diaper while out in public. Now I simply wait until I get home. Yes, it took a while to get used to having a loaded diaper on but over time it gets easier. Much better than trying to change in public. I wear a dry 24/7 disposable as a diaper "liner" under a cloth pull up with plastic pants. I use Nullo to reduce odor and always use Desitin (zinc oxide) to prevent rashes. When its not a choice, the fun fades but when I'm in the mood it's great.

jack3295 said:
I've been fully incon for over 25 years so I'm used to it. In the beginning it was a major pain, especially changing a messy diaper while out in public. Now I simply wait until I get home. Yes, it took a while to get used to having a loaded diaper on but over time it gets easier. Much better than trying to change in public. I wear a dry 24/7 disposable as a diaper "liner" under a cloth pull up with plastic pants. I use Nullo to reduce odor and always use Desitin (zinc oxide) to prevent rashes. When its not a choice, the fun fades but when I'm in the mood it's great.

I actually find it a little awkward to walk in a bm filled diaper,

Chaffing is my personal Hell on this

I guess the worst thing is really bad nappy rash and there is no way of keeping the wetness from irritating your skin.

ST50 said:
I guess the worst thing is really bad nappy rash and there is no way of keeping the wetness from irritating your skin.
This is actually another problem, the best thing to do when having a rash is to stay out of diapers and let your skin breathe, but you can't because your can have an accident any moment so the rash takes a really long time to go out doesn't go at all

As a young person who relies on nappies to live a fairly normal life due to incontinence, I would say that the biggest barriers are the self consciousness and the bulkyness that comes with wearing nappies.
I'm in the unfortunate position where I need to wear something like a Tena Slip or Abena M4 to handle the amount of pee/poop that I can release without warning, therefore meaning that I've always got a big of a bulge that I feel is always noticeable.
One slightly more unusual aspect is the sound of incontinence- there have been several occasions over the past couple of years where people have heard my having an accident into my nappy which is always quite awkward!

miapeters said:
This is actually another problem, the best thing to do when having a rash is to stay out of diapers and let your skin breathe, but you can't because your can have an accident any moment so the rash takes a really long time to go out doesn't go at all

They can actually help in some cases. I have had a bit of eczema on my inner left thigh for a few days now thanks to a bit too zealous use of talc. I dumped a bunch of lotion / eczema creme on it and put on a loose diaper. That let me leave lotion sitting on my skin and keeping it hydrated to heal, WHILE wearing regular clothes. (it's stunning how fast thick lotion will wick through underwear AND pants to create a large oily wet patch that doesn't dry and disappear!)

miapeters said:

Yes sometimes I just sleep on a pad at night if my rash is bad but have to wear a nappy or incontinence pad during the day or my pants would always be wet.

The other obstacle is looking for a washroom and it's occupied and I have an urgency pee and then I can't make it and I end up wet!.

I tend to get a lot of chaffing in the inner groin area with pullups i have tried.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ST50 said:
Yes sometimes I just sleep on a pad at night if my rash is bad but have to wear a nappy or incontinence pad during the day or my pants would always be wet.
I actually haven't still find a proper solution for this because of my bowel accidents. Thankfully I've avoided rashes for a pretty long time but I'm terrified of getting one......

I'd say my least favorite part of wearing 24/7 is trying to sit down in a soaked diaper. I can wear as thick of padding as I can find, put a cloth diaper and plastic pants over them, and keep my clothes as dry as a desert when I'm standing up or lying down, but when I sit down after a heavy wetting, there's bound to be something trickling out the sides. Not a big deal when I'm at home or in my car, but nothing's more embarrassing than leaving little stains on a classroom seat!

Chaffing, trouble walking, and changing a soiled brief in public or at work

Chaffing, trouble walking, and changing a soiled brief in public or at work

caitianx said:
Yes, changing my diaper away from home.
Many public bathrooms are not very clean.

Gotta say the same thing, especially if there's anyone else who heard the crinkle or popping of the tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back