Thread: Linux questions

Default Linux questions

Decided to try out Ubuntu. Been wanting to for a while, so I ordered it a few days ago(will take a while to get here though). I have some questions about it before it comes though.

I want to keep my windows, so I want to dual-boot. What's the best way to do that? I've read that Linux should automatically install to an unused portion of your HDD, but I already have a partition that takes up the remainder. Am I screwed or can I still install? I may have more questions in the future, but for now that's it. Once I actually get it installed, I'll go from there.

All version of Linux including Ubuntu, give you the opportunity to customize the installation, including on which partition of the HDD to install it to. I believe usually Linux searches for an un-used NTFS partition to set up the SWAPs for Linux. In any event, you can customize the installation from the Ubuntu disk itself, it will allow you to view your Windows partition and any other OSs you have on there. And it should automatically install the Darwin Bootloader, so that when you boot up your computer, it'll give you the option to either run Linux, or Windows. I've got Vista and SuSe 11 on my laptop.

That's good... I'll make sure its blank then, thanks.
    Last edited by Drosera; 25-Mar-2009 at 17:51.

The Linux driver/kernel can read all versions of Windows by default, using any 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows NT4 and Windows Vista. ^____^

Also, a good step method that should get you exactly on the right track to dual-booting-

How to dual boot Vista with Ubuntu - VISTA.BLORGE

Since Vista tends to be a pain the butt like diaper rash, you may or may not have to modify the GRUB bootloader in order for it to recognize the Windows partition when you bootup your computer once Linux is installed.

Darwin Bootloader? No no, you mean GRUB or LILO.

During Bootup of the disc, you'll be greeted by a GUI that will allow you to resize your Windows (NTFS) partition, and create a new one out of the left over space that you just created, to install linux on. Once installed, you'll be able to choose to either boot into Linux or into your Windows install as you would normally. From linux, and through NTFS support, you'll be able to read/write to any filesystems in NTFS (Windows) format from Linux, and you can achieve the opposite with Ext2IFS drivers, to allow you to read Linux (Ext2 and Ext3) partitions from within Windows.

happy kernel popping

Nevermind on the second question I had... I was thinking of a VM, I think...

Thanks for that info. Hopefully everything will run smoothly then.

BTW: I run XP, not Vista.