Incontinence questions, ask away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have any psychical pain on anywhere in your body?

What do you do when you have a rash?

Calico said:
Do you have any psychical pain on anywhere in your body?

What do you do when you have a rash?

I just have the occasional back pain :p nothing serious,

I haven't had a rash for a long time, but usually I use a&d ointment as soon as I see the rash, any thing which suggests a rash. I try to change very often and don't wear plastic pants for too long so it doesn't heat things up down there. It takes a long time to go away cause I can't give a break to wearing diapers, so rashes are just really really bad for me..... Luckily I get them very rarely cause I clean up very thoroughly.

Hey someone told me you had an IEP for your incontinence, can you explain how that worked and what was the purpose of having it for your medical condition?

I am a DL, and have been wearing on and off for over a year. I stopped wearing for about a month due to a nasty diaper rash which resolved (thank God) I thought that I could stay away fro, diapers but that didn't happen; I'm back in diapers 24/7. I usually get the urge to pee and then it flows, I change my diaper several times during the day so I do not get a UTI. For the last 2 nights I went to bed in a clean dry diaper and plastic pants. I awoke in the morning with a wet bed and a saturated diaper, with absolutely no recollection of having to pee. Am I becoming IC?

I have had temporary colostomy for 6 months due to my colon being twisted and had to let it heal. I was very happy to have a reversal so I can go normally instead of thru my gut. I wouldn't wish for a colostomy cuz it's easier. It is not easier. I can feel people with Crohn's disease and other disorders that requires them to have a colostomy or ostomy. You have to take very care of the opening and not risk infection and or rashes.

Calico said:
Hey someone told me you had an IEP for your incontinence, can you explain how that worked and what was the purpose of having it for your medical condition?

There are lots of testing and procedure behind it and I don't think I'm the best person to explain this. My parents dealt with a lot of it too and I'm not sure of the entire procedure. I actually got it for another problem I don't want to get into or share.
But at college/university its different, it depends on what the university procedures are for students with special needs.

- - - Updated - - -

alwayz said:
I am a DL, and have been wearing on and off for over a year. I stopped wearing for about a month due to a nasty diaper rash which resolved (thank God) I thought that I could stay away fro, diapers but that didn't happen; I'm back in diapers 24/7. I usually get the urge to pee and then it flows, I change my diaper several times during the day so I do not get a UTI. For the last 2 nights I went to bed in a clean dry diaper and plastic pants. I awoke in the morning with a wet bed and a saturated diaper, with absolutely no recollection of having to pee. Am I becoming IC?

Maybe, you should see a doctor if you actually just pass urine like that. Maybe it's because you gotten used to not holding it, I don't know.

miapeters said:
It rarely gets full before a bm. There are times it does. But times are hard to predict, the longest I've managed to go on a diaper is probably 6-7 hours.. Maybe a little more? there were days I've used 6 diapers during the day. Night time it's obviously more since it hasn't woken me up, I'm talking about day time. I wouldn't say my incontinence is the worst it can possibly be, it used to be more frequent when I was smaller, I remember getting changed so many times during the day. Maybe that is age related, no idea, but comparatively it's better I think.

I've talked about some personal stuff here, it's incontinence there are personal aspects to it so it's fine :p

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually thinking now that maybe when I'm a little older and ready to start "adult life" I should get a colostomy, obviously I'll have to weigh the pro's and cons and see, also check whether it's possible after the surgeries I've had in the past. But what are your thoughts?
I was warned that my increasing bouts of diverticulus flare ups I would find myself with an emergency colostomy when a course of cipro and nothing by mouth for a week in the hospital. On top of that I would face an additional surgery to hook me back up. I had a hemacolectomy electively where they removed about a foot of my decsending colon where I had a heavy concentration of diverticulum ( small outward pockets that can trap certain foods like seeds etc.). The only after effects was the development of severe urgency that I was told at the time presents in rare cases and goes away over time. Right! I have no faith in surgeons as I've experience this severe urgency for 25 years! I'm not incon of urine but use my diapers for peeing as it's so much more convenient than taking off clothing and diapers. The dry 24/7 disposables hold a lot and my cloth pull up is excellent back up. The dry 24/7 diaposable is my diaper "liner", keeping poop accidents off my cloth diaper. I use the Kins model 10700 and plastic pants. I need this level of protection because I use a bulk producing fiber supplement ( metamucil several times a day). This prevents developing more diverticulum. It also has the side effect of extremley large BM's so my level of protection is in fact needed. It's not uncommon for me to have 3 or more BM's a day and always at night. I have a very UNDERSTANDING spouse who knew of my condition prior to hooking up. She's an RN so it didn't faze her in the least.

jack3295 said:
I was warned that my increasing bouts of diverticulus flare ups I would find myself with an emergency colostomy when a course of cipro and nothing by mouth for a week in the hospital. On top of that I would face an additional surgery to hook me back up. I had a hemacolectomy electively where they removed about a foot of my decsending colon where I had a heavy concentration of diverticulum ( small outward pockets that can trap certain foods like seeds etc.). The only after effects was the development of severe urgency that I was told at the time presents in rare cases and goes away over time. Right! I have no faith in surgeons as I've experience this severe urgency for 25 years! I'm not incon of urine but use my diapers for peeing as it's so much more convenient than taking off clothing and diapers. The dry 24/7 disposables hold a lot and my cloth pull up is excellent back up. The dry 24/7 diaposable is my diaper "liner", keeping poop accidents off my cloth diaper. I use the Kins model 10700 and plastic pants. I need this level of protection because I use a bulk producing fiber supplement ( metamucil several times a day). This prevents developing more diverticulum. It also has the side effect of extremley large BM's so my level of protection is in fact needed. It's not uncommon for me to have 3 or more BM's a day and always at night. I have a very UNDERSTANDING spouse who knew of my condition prior to hooking up. She's an RN so it didn't faze her in the least.
I'm not really sure if I will be able to get a colostomy ever, but things could be easier, I don't know. Either way dealing with what I have at the moment is what I focus on. I'm a little fed up on hoping for a cure or something.

When I was small I had the thought that when I'm older I'll be able to control my bladder and bowels. I eventually realized to my shock that I might have to deal with this for my entire life. It's pretty hard when your young and dumb.

Ever since I started using a bulk producing fiber supplement (Metamucil) I've not had any diverticulus flare ups. No more hospitals and no threat of a colostomy. Despite the enormous volume my BM's are semi-solid and effortless to pass. The extreme urgency can be real uncomfortable so if I feel the red alert light go on I just release. I'm "hyper" regular in that I have 3 or 4 BM's a day and often 1 or 2 at night. The size of my BM's is why I wear the protection I do. Along with Desitin (zinc oxide), Nullo and heavy gage plastic pants rashes and odor are none issues. I don't rush home to change after a BM as I detest changing in public. The times I've tried turned into a nightmare. I just continue to do what I'm doing and change when I get home. Whether at the library, running errands or shopping, I just go about my business. Nobody can tell. My question for you is are your BM's semi-solid and well formed? I don't think I could handle loose stool. It's uncomfortable and gets all over. If I had runny BM's I think I'd never leave the house. Since I began using Metamucil right after surgery I rarely have loose stool. If I do it puts an end to whatever I'm doing and it's back home for a proper change. When I do have a big BM or even when I have a couple within a few hours I just let my diapers do their work. After initial release I hardly notice anymore. The urgency can be uncomfortable but now days when I feel the red alert light go on I don't try to hold it. Release brings relief and after a couple decades, I'm used to it. It did take a while to get used to having a big load in my diaper. But I live a full, active life and diapers are just my form of underwear.

jack3295 said:
Ever since I started using a bulk producing fiber supplement (Metamucil) I've not had any diverticulus flare ups. No more hospitals and no threat of a colostomy. Despite the enormous volume my BM's are semi-solid and effortless to pass. The extreme urgency can be real uncomfortable so if I feel the red alert light go on I just release. I'm "hyper" regular in that I have 3 or 4 BM's a day and often 1 or 2 at night. The size of my BM's is why I wear the protection I do. Along with Desitin (zinc oxide), Nullo and heavy gage plastic pants rashes and odor are none issues. I don't rush home to change after a BM as I detest changing in public. The times I've tried turned into a nightmare. I just continue to do what I'm doing and change when I get home. Whether at the library, running errands or shopping, I just go about my business. Nobody can tell. My question for you is are your BM's semi-solid and well formed? I don't think I could handle loose stool. It's uncomfortable and gets all over. If I had runny BM's I think I'd never leave the house. Since I began using Metamucil right after surgery I rarely have loose stool. If I do it puts an end to whatever I'm doing and it's back home for a proper change. When I do have a big BM or even when I have a couple within a few hours I just let my diapers do their work. After initial release I hardly notice anymore. The urgency can be uncomfortable but now days when I feel the red alert light go on I don't try to hold it. Release brings relief and after a couple decades, I'm used to it. It did take a while to get used to having a big load in my diaper. But I live a full, active life and diapers are just my form of underwear.
Fortunately my stool is"well formed" it's never runny or anything.
Actually like you I have 3-4 someone's more bm's in the day.
I always have two bm's in the night now. Rarely one. But actually I know that on the days I've eaten more I have more bm's. This week I've been swimming intensively and eating a lot. Yesterday during lunch I had a BM accident and just a few minutes after another big bm.

I usually change right after a bm. Changing in public restrooms is hard but I've gotten used to it. I hate to wait around in a bm filled diaper >.<. Plus I'm not getting rashes a lot because I change fast and clean up thoroughly.
I'm only worried about the night since I don't get woken up for the BM accidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back