new dealings

Status
Not open for further replies.

miapeters

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hi everyone I'm mia, I only very recently joined. I've been incontinent since I was small and now I'm attending college. I have never been able to talk to anyone who is incontinent and I finally hope I get some good advice/tips from here. Managing BM's is the most embarrassing and the most hardest thing for me, especially when you have no where else to change I have very large wettings too but my abena diapers are really good for that, how do you deal with the solids in the diaper, it feels so gross at times and I get depressed about it. Also I'm interested in doing a sport but is there any diaper which is heavy duty and can take stress? My BM's are usually really a lot in amount and frequency, my wettings are also there... another question is what are the best swim diapers our there? I'm worried about containment especially in a pool. Sorry if this post was too long or graphic but I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, I agree I've gotten used to cleaning up after a bm, I wake up almost always with a soaked and BM filled diaper. It used to be nausiating and I had to get help changing but now in used to it. But I sometimes have instances where I can't change and I have to walk around it and sometimes sit which is so gross for me and I still find that a really depressing situation

that does sounds like a hard thing to deal with, especially socially..I just went to a water park last weekend and mommy and I were joking a little bit about getting one of the expensive water nappies for the trip

It certainly got me thinking, and paranoid just thinking of being in the water when a BM comes along, you certainly dont have it easy.

I wish I had more or better advice to give you, as a nappy enthusiast rather then someone whos IC..im a bit out of my depth.

however there are plethora of individuals on here who I'm positive will be able to help with their experience and wisdom

I have tried eating schedules but my bm's are unpredictable as my wettings, thanks for the advice.....

Hello Mia. Sorry to read about your problems but it sounds like you are addressing them realistically and being proactive.:eek:

I'm double incontinent and wear 24/7. Here are some serious answers to your questions.

You have several options:
1. Use of preventive enemas. An empty bowel cannot have a fecal accident. These are traditional old-fashioned red rubber bag enemas with soapy water. This is a medically recognized option for bowel incontinence and is how I manage my bowel incontinence - I rarely have an accident. Don't use the chemical Fleets enemas.
2. Laxative suppositories to empty the rectum. Again, don't do this too frequently. Just for special occasions.
3. Selective use of Imodium. Don't do this every day, but at special times such as before a sport.
4. Anal plugs. The Peristeen anal plug is a medical device that inserts like a suppository and expands once in the rectum. You can wear it for 12 hours. Alternative is the O.B. brand feminine hygiene tampon. It expands in width and not in length. Not as effective as the Peristeen plug but inexpensive.
5. You already wear good diapers, but just want to emphasize that the most important aspects are tall internal standing leak guards and a good fit.
6. Plastic pants. Of course
7. Double plastic pants, as required. For extra safety, you can wear a larger pair of plastic pants (made for cloth diapers) over your normal pair made for disposables.

You will have to tailor what works best for you and meets your living arrangements. Are you in a dorm or in private housing?

The best swim diaper for someone who is bowel incontinent is the SoSecure Fecal Containment System. I use it. It works.

If you want more information privately, just send me a PM. I have written white papers on the selection and wear of diapers and an the use of preventive enemas to manage bowel incontinence. Currently I am writing a book on managing incontinence.

Hopefully, some combination of the above will be of some use to you. Good luck.

--John

With my spinal issues swimming is the best exercise I get, and I definitely second the SoSecure Fecal Containment System. I usually wear it as a cover over Swimmates Disposable Swim Diapers, they won't function for containment on their own, but if you intend to swim for a long period of time like I do in which you might need to get a change they work as an excellent liner to keep any of the actual fecal matter off the SoSecure for quick cleanup.

For a diaper that can take the stress of sports you'd probably have to look at cloth diapers. I think even the best disposable out there would succumb to severe clumping if put through a lot of running.

Even my ABU Simples that are the best I've come across regarding clumping resistance get SAP separation after something like cleaning involving a lot of bending over for a few hours.

I have tried annal plugs and for some reason it becomes very uncomfortable, upto the point where it feels like pain, u guess I have a sensitive rear.....
And immodium has given me really bad stomach aches. Do you use enemas all the time? And do they work for everybody, I remember my doctor talking about it some time ago but I was too small and I haven't gone in a while.... I will speak to my doctor on it, I used to be in a dorm and not everybody was nice about my condition but I now share a place with a good friend, I'm lucky to have her as she's so understanding and I haven't had many friends especially before high school when I didn't exactly get bullied but some sorts,

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question on Night time wettings, hope it's an okay question to ask, most of the time I wake up having had a really big BM during the night i don't understand how i can't feel it after it released but the diaper can manage even though it feels totally full. But it's also soaked and I'm wondering if there is a better sleep position to be in if I have an accident while sleeping. Thanks for the advice

miapeters said:
Also I'm interested in doing a sport but is there any diaper which is heavy duty and can take stress?.

I'd recommend the Northshore Supreme or Supreme Lite. It stays together better than any diaper I've tried before. I can wear one all day and be active and the padding never falls apart of clumps. The only trade off is that they're a bit stiffer initially than other diapers like Abena but it's well worth it in my opinion.

What do you think is the best diaper containment wise?

miapeters said:
What do you think is the best diaper containment wise?

I'd say Dry 24/7, or the Confidry 24/7 as they call it now. It has the tallest, sturdiest leak guards of any diaper I've tried. Nothing escapes from those. It also can absorb a huge amount of liquid, but tends to become unusable before it leaks because it expands like crazy, starts sagging, and the padding starts to clump and fall apart. It's a great overnight diaper for when you're not moving around a lot though.

miapeters said:
I have a question on Night time wettings, hope it's an okay question to ask, most of the time I wake up having had a really big BM during the night i don't understand how i can't feel it after it released but the diaper can manage even though it feels totally full. But it's also soaked and I'm wondering if there is a better sleep position to be in if I have an accident while sleeping. Thanks for the advice

I am double incontinent and have severe "movements" during the night just like described at times as well.

Stated by INTrePid, Dry 24/7 has great standing leak guards. Only odd things is the sizing, the cuts run larger than the usual Abena M4, the tapes are sorta wonky too. Still a great diaper though.

(Be aware, the links I provide below lead to incontinence supply and diaper sales sites. Be careful where you open them so no one catches a look at your screen.)

If you have the ability to spend money on Dry 24/7, I would also absolutely recommend ABU Simple. Don't let the more babyish website deter you from getting these. Pricing per brief is only a few nickles or dimes more than Abena which is kinda awesome. They're all plain white with the exception of a few small grey "ABU"s on the front landing zone, have awesome standing leak guards and tapes, super soft and absorbency is also absolutely staggering. Though maybe not for day wear being a little bulkier(If you don't care about bulk then they are awesome for daytime, or anytime :D), they make an absolutely fantastic night diaper.
ABU Simple(Seriously consider these, they're amazing): https://www.abuniverse.com/Simple_p_78.html

As for an active diaper, the only one I feel comfortable now wearing during physical activities is an Abena M4 with booster or the ABU Simple.
M4 isn't too bulky(though the booster makes it more so :p) and is more easily hidden under loose gym shorts. And considering you don't want anyone catching a glimpse of your protection, I would also suggest procuring a onesie. I wear a onesie over my GaryWear active brief covers, and they do a great job of supporting and concealing any view or crinkling from your diaper.
The diaper covers I use(Navy/Black color): http://www.northshorecare.com/diapers/diaper-covers/garywear-active-briefs-diaper-covers.html
The onesie I use(Pricey, but certainly do help. Get Navy color, it doesn't stain as easy): https://www.xpmedical.com/accessories/reusable-products/xp-4care-bodystockings-navy-config

If you don't go the Dry24/7 or the ABU Simple and prefer your current choice of diaper, Abena(I assume you're using tape on styled diapers like Abri-form M4). I would say if you're needing more absorbency you should definitely try boosters. Abena makes a booster called the Abri-let Maxi, these do a great job for me during the night and the day, they also assist with the dispersal of liquids throughout the M4. These boosters don't have any SAP/gel and consist of all fluff, start out thick but still do a great job of increasing capacity.
Bambino makes their own boosters, Quadro boosters. These boosters are pretty fantastic as well, they start out super thin, but they do swell quite a bit.
The Abri-let maxi paired with the Quadro underneath, make a pretty awesome combo.
You could even use the boosters with the ABU and the Drys, make yourself some crazy absorbent diapers. :p
The abri-let boosters: http://www.northshorecare.com/diapers/boosters1/boosters-abena.html
The Bambino Quadro boosters: https://bambinodiapers.com/quadro-booster-pads-c-6

As for the sleeping position, I usually end up on my back. I fall asleep most times side sleeping, but any time I have the unpleasant experience of waking up to the event of having a severe bm, I'm usually awaking on my back. Sometimes I wake up on my side and its the same event, fills your diaper the same :p
The diaper cover helps a lot though, catching pesky blowouts and saving my sheets ^u^

I hope this helps and you find a good balance. :)
If you have anymore questions, feel free to shoot me a pm and I'll get back to you asap.

Reactions: quattrus
Thanks jonnythepony I'll definitely try the Abu simple and the dry 24/7, ever since I started with m4's I just stuck with them and they've only leaked on rare occasions but when I do have a BM even though it holds it feels like it can't. It's even worse when the diaper is wet from the heavy urinary incontinence. for the whole of this year I've only woken up five or six times with more than one bm and a small leak which is really embarrassing when having a room mate right in the next room, i'm trying to reduce how much I eat at night to prevent this, the worst part is I don't wake up for the bm, I wake up in the morning to find out that I have had several bm's in the night and I have to clean up asap to avoid rashes...... As for daytime, bulk won't bother me if it can contain, containment is my biggest fear when outside, I already wear loose clothing with the m4.
Thanks again
PS it's nice to know that there are other people who deal with the same issue's cause I felt so alone regarding this..... it sounds silly but it means a lot

Last edited:
miapeters,

Yes, I use preventive old-fashioned enemas every morning, with my doctors' approval. I then go about a normal day without having to worry about a bowel accident. It is the most effective method that I have found to manage bowel incontinence. Afterward, go about your life, play sports, etc. Enemas also are recommended for the fecal incontinent as a preventive measure before having sex. As I am double incontinent, I still must wear a diaper for the urinary incontinence.

Re diapers, a good diaper for day use is the North Shore Care Supreme. It has a plastic shell and outstanding internal standing leak guards. It has a listed useable capacity of 40 ounces. Purchased by the case it costs about $1.44 per diaper.

The ABU Simple is an excellent diaper when extra absorbency is required. It has a maximum absorbency of 5,000 ml (169 oz.) - however this is not useable capacity. It has great standing leak guards. With an added booster pad it is good for night wear. Due to this diaper's cost, I reserve its day use to special occasions such as travel or long events.

--John

If it's only a little more expensive than the m4's it might be worth it for me with such server incontinence.....
How do you know when to use an enema, my bm's are very inconsistent and I think I would have to be doing enemas just to see whether it is clear or not. I don't know it may or may not be practical for me, anyway thanks for the advice I'll try and see with my doctor.

Last edited:
Thank youMaurepasGnD and jdinvirginia for recommending sosecure, MaurepasGnD I tried your way of using sosecure over swimmates it was very useful for the first time I have gone swimming in my life! I made a post on it, share your thoughts if you wish,
Thanks all

Happy to help, welcome to ADISC, ^__^

jdinvirginia I recently spoke to my doctor and he doesn't recommend using enema's frequently because I have had a surgery in the past on my sphincter and there were a lot of complications. Even every week he was concerned. Maybe I can do it for special occasions..... I don't know I'll have to speak with my doctor more on this.

the way I deal is usually I use a lighter poly brief like attends, and an overnight stuffer pad, that said what it sounds like for your issues you may need something with some added room to expand in the seat, attends waistbands at least use to be good for that, but a stuffer pad would be a must and its going to be very noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back