Feels winter-ish

Status
Not open for further replies.

UzgruzzSteelchoppa

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
the cold weather decided to outrule the usual climate in texas, so im bundled up and ready to survive i guess. :cold2:

R.I.P. texas...

It's 27 degrees Fahrenheit over here tonight. To think it was almost 70 the other day.

It's 32c here which is 89.6F

Minus 5°C, tonight. Just above zero, yesterday noon.

Got ya beat, it was -12 C here and with the wind chill factor of 50 mph winds it would have been -27 Celsius.

Today was more autumnal: cold, wet and windy.
We're back on track, I suppose.

Argent said:
It's 32c here which is 89.6F

What's your address?! I'm on my way!!! :smile1: Brrr! This is horrible. :cold2:

My gutters are leaking, I've got rain coming in to the loft. And it's all dark and miserable. Only a month till the shortest day, though... At least once that's over with, psychologically you're over the hump!

ade said:
Minus 5°C, tonight. Just above zero, yesterday noon.

Bloomin' 'eck! Are you halfway up a mountain or something?! Shiver me timbers... and everything else.

Human beings weren't meant to live in these climates! However did they cope without all the mod-cons and accoutrements that we take for granted?!

I think Shybug is laughing at us Northern Hemispherians right now because she's from Australia, where it's currently spring, and just one month from summer.

tiny said:
Only a month till the shortest day, though... At least once that's over with, psychologically you're over the hump!
that's when winter begins :biggrin:
View attachment 28006
29th of April this year :smile1:
i think it snowed in May, too, but i can't remember.

tiny said:
Bloomin' 'eck! Are you halfway up a mountain or something?! Shiver me timbers... and everything else.
'mountain' is a bit contentious. the Yanks'll say no, probably. for some context,
View attachment 28007

between the stone gate-post, in the foreground, and the hills in the background, are two dales, each with it's own town. you can just see the top of the line of hills which devides them in the midground (mostly hidden by the stonewall).
but anyway, what happened to those rolling hills that you'd love to cycle, huh, huh? :poke:

and even though it's not yet winter, we have a casualty (viewer discretion?):

i'm not sure what happened, there. it's on a NE facing hillside which is lined at the top with a barbed-wire fence and hawthorn trees. it's quite steep and is often used by the deer for escapes and general travel. there's only a foot of landing space when they jump over the fence, though, and then it's a risk of a tumble, if you don't catch your neck on a tree branch. you can see where i'm going with that.
apart from the head being bent right back, there's no signs of damage (apart from where some critter has had a go at the fur), although i didn't inspect it fully (no gloves and Harry couldn't get up the hill any further because of the heather and so, he trying to pull me down).
before i spotted it, i thought it strange that there were no birds about (for there usually is), so maybe a fox had been there recently?

oh, and we can't do without a 'winter bird', can we? (despite them being year-round birds)
View attachment 28009

View attachment 28010

and this looks wintery, but was taken in September (looks b/w until you spot the cloudbow):
View attachment 28011

finally, Mr. Spider has his home for the winter:
View attachment 28012

It is all about being acclimatized to the temperatures. Today we had a 5K run that I participated in and it was 27 F (-3C). You would be surprised at how many people were in shorts. Some might say that was crazy... but once you got running you warmed up quickly. I was in my armor all thermals with running pants over the top and a long sleeve t-shirt and ball cap. Not exactly winter wear, but a bit more than just shorts.

I wasn't exactly a speed demon, but I did finish the race in 29 minutes, 3 seconds. I usually can finish much better, but the cold air was harsh on my lungs. Hard to get my wind. At 5600 feet elevation, there is also less air then down below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back