How do you manage number #2 accident out of house

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaifester

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I am comfortable wearing diapers out in public, and when I wear diapers I also wet them as needed. I have no problem changing wet diapers in public because nobody knows unless they hear the tapes or crinkles.
A soiled diaper is a different beast.
Yesterday, I developed some lower abdominal discomfort (too much coffee or disagreeable lunch). I thought it was gas so I tried to push the gas out to relieve the discomfort. Unfortunately, I soiled myself and I was in public.
I had never messed myself in public before. I thought changing myself in a public restroom would be too much so I cancelled commitments for the rest of the day and drove home which was quite far away.
Any tips for our how to change a soiled diaper in public to make it as easy as possible?

thanks

I would just position myself over the toilet so the loose stool falls in there when the brief is untapped. Then bag up the brief in a plastic bag and clean yourself with wipes. I use the non flushable wipes. Then rediaper yourelf and throw the diaper and wipes in the trash. Or get someone else to help you like I do

It happens sometimes.
The smell can be very strong.
Isolate yourself and clean up as soon as possible.
Difficulty depends upon consistency.
When out and about town, you could change in a public restroom at restaurant, gas station, park, hospital, etc.. Some people change in their car in a remote parking area, low traffic area, rural area, or forest.

I carry a small kit in my backpack with: spare diapers (usually 2 TranqATN), baby wipes (usually a small travel size),and a ziplock bag (gallon size). This can get me through wet (or very rare messy) diaper accidents on most days.

The smart move would be to carry the necessary supplies, in a backpack, INCLUDING adult wipes, and then find a FAMILY/TG RESTROOM, where you have some privacy. Problem solved.

I had a shart of my own to deal with recently (IBS issues), but, fortunately I was on the way home at the time, not in the big rig, running team...Phew! In a word, IMMODIUM!

Gary wear over pants can help contain odors till you can change. I wear regular underwear over them too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I carry a package of adult wipes and some plastic bags in my "diaper bag". I give a good shake before I start untaping the diaper to try to get as much as possible in the diaper itself.

i usually carry an extra diaper/goodnites and baby wipes in case i have a messy accident outside. it is quite inconvenient to change but usually you dont have a choice. sometimes if its only a shart or slightly messy and there is no smell (unless you put your nose to my bum), then i might just carry on with my activities and not change till i get home

Hi scaifester!

Unfortunately, it happens to all of us who are fecal incontinent. No fun, but we deal with it.

I have a small, inconspicuous backpack or messenger bag with changing essentials, including a disposal bag, adult-sized wipes, latex gloves, and a fresh diaper. In the trunk of my car I also have a larger "disaster kit" in the event that a serious bowel accident has leaked and soiled my clothing. It contains additional cleanup materials, another diaper, lotions, and a complete change of clothing, including socks, just in case.

Here is what I have found to be an important rule: "complete the void." What I mean is don't rush to the toilet and immediately begin to strip off your diaper. While so doing, you may have one last bowel spasm that soils your clothing and, perhaps, your only clean diaper. So, be sure that you have finished the BM in the diaper. That is what the diaper is for. Then change.

Re taking off the diaper, keep a small knife or pair of scissors in your bag. To avoid spillage of fecal matter, it may be safer to cut the sides of the diaper.

Good luck!

--John
(double incontinent and wearing 24/7, cloth at night)

I've had it happen a few times prior to my colectomy surgery and it wasn't pleasant. I was taken off steroids which made my inflammatory bowel disease run out of control prior to surgery so going out meant going out in nappies.
I was also taking high dose codine for my back fractures which bunged me up most of the day least until 3 to 4pm when I'd hope to be back home. When the codine wore off it was like taking your finger off the hole in the dam wall.
A full colon of runny diarrhoea emptying into the seat of my nappy totally helpless to it. I'd get 30 seconds warning maximum.
Having to drive home sitting in it too was not nice. I'd get home and strip off standing in the bath with the shower attachment ready to hose me down. I was always amazed that the old style attends (MMMMMM style) took everything I put in it with no leaks. There was no way I could clean myself up without a shower head on a hose.

So many experiences to share, when I was in ninth grade I had a bm while going to class and it was so much that it stopped me walking and I just had to wait till it emptied out ....... there was nothing I could do, at the time I was still not doing well and the school nurse had cleaned and changed me, truly was a god send. Now when clean up myself I carry all the wipes, extra diapers and ziplock bags is a must

I do not have incontinence first thing I might mention. They have been times though I had wet trumps and I thought I have pooped myself.

The first thing I suggest if you have a raider key try to access the disabled toilets. The Raider key is a big key used to open disabled toilets. You should be untitled to one.
If it is America and you do not need a key then I suggest waiting for the next person to walk out of the disabled toilets.

If you can not get into the disabled toilets or you do not have a raider key try going to the baby changing toilets. If anyone questions you you can say you could not find anyone with a raider key. Or you prefer to change in the baby changing area.

If you feel too embarrassed about going to the baby change area then just do what everyone else suggested go to the toilets and change in a cubical.

1 get to a bathroom asap.
2 get the diaper pulled down and the excess poop pushed in the toilet,
3, get wiped up
4. put on a fresh diaper
5. toss the messed diaper in the trash
6. wash my hands with a lot of soap.

An invaluable tool for me is using toiletmap.gov.au - which obviously is only of relevance in Australia - but it allows you to highlight public toilets that have showers. While I feel somewhat regretful about using public facilities to wash off mess, I think the harm to me from not doing it is probably worse than the intricacies of any hypothetical harm that might be suffered by others from me doing it.

I carry adult wipes and always an extra diaper. I try to flush what I can down the toilet and then wipe and change as usual. I hate the feeling off a full diaper. I hate the feeling of a messed diaper. But I use them for that so I don't make a mess on my clothes so I just deal with it.

I don't have bowel accidents as often. I probalbly have one out in public every 6 months. Sometimes if I have a big enough muscle spazm in my torso or legs it will cause my bowel sphincter to open up. I never really know when this is going to happen so I always carry multiple diapers, wipes, rubber gloves, and a couple different types of bags to conceal the scent. The worst part for me is the fact that it takes FOREVER for me to change a messy diaper, my muscles just don't move like that. It's a really good feeling once I'm cleaned up and done with that process.

I have an adult diaper bag just for these issues. I always have it in my car. It has diapers, wipes, powder, Desitin, and a change of rubber pants. If I have messed my diaper I usually use the handicap or the family bathroom. I usually will straddle the toilet so if stool falls off it will go in the toilet. After this I use plenty of wipes to clean myself up. I usually have a plastic bag to put dirty diaper in. After clean up use desitin to cover my bottom put a diaper on and sprinkle powder front and back. Pull up pant and back to my normal activities.

From the couple of times I have messed in public, here are some tips....
1. Get your pants away from harm, this may mean putting a chux pad across the pants or taking them off. This is so nothing drops
2. Have gloves, bags and wipes at the ready
3. If it's solid try to shake it into the toilet, otherwise don't mess with it.
4. Clean up dropping the wipes either into the dirty diaper or Into the bag.
5. If you can wait till you get home do so. I once messed while waiting on an order at the photo lab, and drive the hour home because it didn't feel that bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John,

I am also double IC and wear full time. But only disposables. Do you toilet at all during the day?
andrew

Chestnut,

If I am able to sense an approaching BM in time, I try to make it to the toilet. For bladder, I use the toilet only when I am practicing timed voiding. Otherwise I use the diaper. As I apply a zinc oxide barrier cream, it becomes impractical to use the toilet to pee.

--John

I experience very severe urgency issues, mainly with BM's. Because of this I wear diapers virtually 24/7. At home (and near a bathroom) I'll go undiapered for a time but only after I'm pretty sure I'm empty. I use a bulk producing fiber supplement (Metamucil) per doctor recommendation (I had surgery for a small concentration of diverticulum - had a bit more than a foot of large intestine removed) so while I often have several large BM's before noon I can still get a surprise later in the day. But I think it's important to let one's skin "air out" a few times a week. I do take precautions and wear more than adequate protection, especially when going out of the house for an extended period of time. I do this because I absolutely detest changing in public. My precautions include taking Nullo deoderant pills (they work very well) along with a good amount of Desitin diaper paste (zinc oxide). Add to that what I consider superior protection and a surprise public BM becomes a nonissue. it's just a matter of how comfortable one is with a big load in the diaper. I hate to leak and also dislike poop getting on my cloth pull-up diaper (from Kins model 10700). For these reasons I use a dry 24/7 disposable as a "diaper liner" to protect my cloth pull-up. It also adds an amazing amount of absorbancy and great containment. I put a bunch of pin holes in the plastic shell for drainage and after the disposable becomes saturated, the cloth diaper is there for back up. Yes, as you can imagine , it is rather thick but concealment is easy if you know how. I discuss this in a post about hiding your diapers while in public in this forum. As for having that surprise BM, it is just so much easier for me to carry on about my business then to try and change my level of protection in public. While I do have an emergency change kit in my car I've never used it. When I was younger and wore just a good disposable with plastic pants and compression shorts, I would change in public but hated being unable to shower and be completely clean. Never the less, when I found myself with a large BM in my diaper i would bite the bullet and change. Never fun though it can be done. I find my current methods much easier and over time am at ease with a big load in my diapers for extended periods. Whether at the library for several hours or even shopping, I just continue with the task at hand and just clean up when I get home. I applaud those willing to put up with the inconvenience of a public change. For myself, I'll carry the load around with me until I can get home. I do the same while on vacation. I wait until I'm off the plane and in my hotel room. Family gatherings, sports outings and any other activity that I know will keep me away from home for an extended period of time is handled the same way. It really isn't an issue. Primarily because of my superior protection and other precautions. Little or no smell and no rashes from prolonged exposure. A few years back I went to a Chicago Bears game.The weather was cold but not freezing. I had on my typical protection under my snowmobile suit and felt completely confident I could last the day. Pee wasn't a concern because all I had to drink was hot coffee and my protection can last in excess of 10 hours. What I wasn't counting on was an accidental surprise BM. At half time I went up to the concourse to get another coffee. I could feel the dampness of my diapers from a couple of urgent pees I fell victim to but nothing near even the capacity of my dry 24/7 "liner". Before even getting in line I felt my bowels signal a red alert. I typically have about 30 seconds to get to the bathroom. Here, away from home and with heavy protection under a snowmobile suit there was no chance. Not that I expected any. I don't panic, I don't freak out. I'm a veteran of this and thought nothing of waiting for release before carrying on. The BM was semi-firm at the start but slowly became a mighty surge of semi-soft poo. I got a little nervous as it continued for a good 15 seconds. The enormity of the poop was startling. But again, I'm used to such surprises and was confident my protection would hold with little or no odor. I lasted out the day and returned home for clean up. It simply proves the point. Nullo, plenty of Desitin and heavy protection can allow one the freedom to enjoy a full day out without a public change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back