Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gender identity disorder

Default Gender identity disorder

So, today I went to my therapist's office, and we were going over a series of questions so he could "better understand my problems".
    After the questions, he went over my answers, and decided I had quite a few issues, including: I'm bipolar and I have ADD (these I already knew I had), there's a large chance I have Borderline Personality Disorder and...
    I, for certain, have Gender Identity Disorder.
    I wasn't all that surprised, though. I mean, I dress like a male, act like a male, and I like girls. A lot.
    I mean... I've felt like I should have been born a guy for a few years now.
    I went to school, and during lunch I decided to do a little research, because I'm just that curious. I went onto Wikipedia and found Gender identity disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and read the 4th paragraph:

Gender identity disorder in children is usually reported as "having always been there" since childhood, and is considered clinically distinct from GID which appears in adolescence or adulthood, which has been reported by some as intensifying over time. Since many cultures strongly disapprove of cross-gender behavior, it often results in significant problems for affected persons and those in close relationships with them. In many cases, discomfort is also reported as stemming from the feeling that one's body is "wrong" or meant to be different.
    Thoughts on this, guys?

I disagree. I doubt there is a real disorder. However, this may be an easier way to bundle and classify this sort of thinking/behavior.

Doctors like turning everything into conditions that is the minority. So what if people feel they are born with the wrong gender and want a sex change or wear female clothing. I wanted to be a boy when I was little and I was a tom boy and did boy stuff girls wouldn't normally do. Now I am glad I was indeed born female.

I don't believe this is a condition, more of a personality, who they are. I don't see infantlism as a condition either so I call them fake disorders or conditions and made up.

I was amazed to see how doctors have turned fetishisms into conditions and I thought that was so bull. Like I say, things that are in the minority, doctors like to make it a condition. Now instead of getting all upset and offended, I just laugh at the disorders they make up to make more money. I even find Adult Baby syndrome funny. There's nothing wrong with me. I don't need to be fixed or treated. And there is nothing wrong with cross dressing or getting a sex change or being feminine. There is nothing wrong with acting like a guy or being a tom boy.

@Calico: I agree. Doctors do, indeed, like to make up bullshit like that. "Treating" infatilism, is like "treating" homosexuality.

Isn't GID basically what kids/teens are diagnosed with when they're transsexuals, and get sex changes in the future and all that jazz?

I'd suck to have GID. I'm glad I'm a chick.

on another note, though... Just because you're labeled with something like GID doesn't mean that you need "Fixed," it's just a textbook term. I didn't see anywhere where the OP mentioned her phychiatrist wanted to "fix" her.

On another note, Calico, being a tomboy and truly feeling like you are a boy are two very, very different things.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGrizzy View Post
    @Calico: I agree. Doctors do, indeed, like to make up bullshit like that. "Treating" infatilism, is like "treating" homosexuality.
    Homosexuality used to be a condition and they had to fight to be accepted for who they are and it was finally removed from the DSM in 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post
    Isn't GID basically what kids/teens are diagnosed with when they're transsexuals, and get sex changes in the future and all that jazz?

on another note, though... Just because you're labeled with something like GID doesn't mean that you need "Fixed," it's just a textbook term. I didn't see anywhere where the OP mentioned her phychiatrist wanted to "fix" her.

On another note, Calico, being a tomboy and truly feeling like you are a boy are two very, very different things.

That's because she didn't mention it and neither did I. I was saying it's a made up condition by doctors because they like to turn things into conditions that are the minority. I was told they do it to make money but it's up to us to stand up for ourselves like homosexuals did.
    Last edited by Charlie; 24-Mar-2009 at 01:50. Reason: merging double post: try the multi-quote feature

Disorder is a horrible word here. It implies that there is something mentally wrong with you, when in fact there is something physically wrong, you have the wrong gender parts.

I wish you much luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post

Yes GID is pretty much just a catchall for "has gender issues, possibly may pursue a sex change. Monitor them"

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Homosexuality used to be a condition and they had to fight to be accepted for who they are and it was finally removed from the DSM in 1973.

That's because she didn't mention it and neither did I. I was saying it's a made up condition by doctors because they like to turn things into conditions that are the minority. I was told they do it to make money but it's up to us to stand up for ourselves like homosexuals did.
    It is a lack of knowledge. A number of prominent trans doctors in the community still believe in gynephilia and androphilia
    as root disorders that explain the issue. Doctors do not make thing disorders arbitrarily. Things are disorders due to a number of factors that severely impact life quality. Medical diagnosis moves slowly because treatment of mental disorders is difficult. Classified or not as a mental disorder the treatment of full blow transexuals is one way, radically modifying surgery on the extreme end. There is a reason it is still argued about. It was hard enough to get Homosexuality removed when its only treatment was "get over it, have a valium".

A lot of people also seem to severely misunderstand the DSM and what it is for. Sorry but for a lot of people their addiction, from coke to diapers, ruin their lived. Fetishes are no different. There can be a fine line between one and the other. The DSM is about making sure an individual does not have a problem that is behind their actions. Infantilism isn't even in the DSM, it can just fall into certain categories of the DSM depending on behavior. I am sorry but if you strongly desire to live as a baby to the point that it impacts your regular life you do, by every definition, have a problem. However diagnosis should not exist in a bubble, and a professional will be able to determine if you cross that line.

GID is listed for the same reason homosexuality was. There is a distinct lack of understanding and confusion on were its roots come from, and unlike a fetish signs point to it being a from birth issue. One of the problems that persists is the pre existing support structure for transition. Most Trans rights groups are for the removal of transsexuality from the DSM, and so are many doctors, since most evidence points to it being outside of the typical mental disorder classification.

There are many problems though. One is that there is not a lot of solid research into the root causes of transsexuality. There are a lot of untested theories and loose research but not much else. There are also a lot of fears and negative images of it due to early transexual treatment and the fetishization many transsexuals go through. Aside from there being no agreement in the medical community over the issue, there is a rather extensive standards of care that exist around the treatment of GID sufferers that, while it needs to be revisited, is crucial in preventing people from seeking one way very destructive treatments for the wrong reasons. Even with all the rules in place some people who shouldn't still manage to complete transition. They often kill themselves because of that mistake. With reclassification comes a need of a re evaluation of the system, which in the medical world is a slow process. It took decades to get the system to the level it is right now, and it is still full of flaws.

In the GLBT community GID has a huge representation, because transgender issues span everything from non gender normative behavior to full on transsexuality. Early diagnosis is important because treatment of transgendered individuals has the best result when intervention is early. This is also more useful for M-F individuals because the effects of testosterone are dramatic and permanent, were as a F-M sufferer choosing to transition will see dramatic results by taking testosterone pretty much always. M-F's diagnosed early can be placed on t-blockers and have their puberty delayed until it can be determined if they should transition. If caught early enough they can go through a single, female puberty.

Most people do not realize it but the differences between pre-pubescent girls and boys is very, very small. Up until 13 aside from primary sexual characteristics like the penis and vagina a childs body is pretty much just a childs body. We get all of our gender cues at that point entirely from learned characteristics and grooming. While there are some differences they are not distinguishable visibly. It is the Introduction of testosterone that causes gender variations to emerge. If you start a 13 year old boy on t-blockers and estrogen they will take on the secondary characteristics of a woman as long as they are on the proper hormone treatment.

Being diagnosed with GID doesn't mean you have to transition, or live as a man. What it does mean is, if your therapist is good they can either help you or point you to someone with the experience to help you figure out were you need to go with this knowledge. Many people, especially F-M transexuals, will never fully transition. Penoplasty is no were near as advanced as vaginoplasty, and the results are far worse. Even then plenty of M-F individuals keep their male bodies in part or as a whole. There is no single track you HAVE to take.

secretdl26

From reading numerous reports and listening to radio interviews, Gender Identity Disorder (or whatever you care to call it) seems to be the disconnection between the body and the mind.

The mind is focused and operates in a similar way to one gender (in your case male, I guess) but the physical body (i.e. "parts") do not match.

Because of this disparity, the recognition that something is "wrong" comes early as a child is forced into gender roles that do not match its perception (mind's view) of his or her body.

You may have this, but I would recommend seeing a therapist who recognizes this more as a true disconnect between your "male" mind and female body. You need to find someone who will help you become you, and not try to coax you into settling for what you have.

Surgery and hormonal therapy is drastic, but I think there may be other solutions to your confusion, which a good therapist can help you find.

Aw, screw it. I think I've made adequate headway in another thread to outline the difference between "lay" understanding of something and its actual diagnosis criteria, so I'll not beat that dead horse here.

However, I find it troubling that the Wikipedia article said nothing about Dr. John Money's* monstrous and ultimately disastrous experiment with sex and gender reassignment in the 1960s. The hell he put that family through is a bullet-proof - and engineered/manipulated - example of the power of in-built gender identity.

Long story short, there is no "gender gate" at work. These feelings are very powerful and if you feel you like girls, then you like girls. As you are still in your teen years, your personality and brain have not fully developed, but if you still feel naturally drawn to women at 22, 23, then so be it. The "liking girls/women" talks to your sexual orientation.

"Talking you out" of it or convincing you that it's "wrong" would be the same as someone telling me that I should enjoy the penis and the men they're attached to. Godspeed, Mitsu.

This, of course, assumes that it does not meet diagnostic criteria and that it's not causing multiple major life-domains to fall apart for you (criterion D in the DSM-IV-TR).

*Before anyone starts asking, I am very much opposed to what he permitted to happen and how the suffering of the entire family was perpetuated - to meet his end. So, no, I am no fan of John Money.