Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gateway 450ROG vs. Dell Latitude D600

Default Gateway 450ROG vs. Dell Latitude D600

I currently have a Dell Latitude D600 that a friend gave to me because he got a new laptop. Its a very nice and fast running laptop. But my friend who works on computers with me has a bunch a Gateway 450ROG that he is selling and I asked if he would do a trade for my D600 he said yes. i was wondering what all of you think. Would it be worth it?

Is the Gateway 450ROG better laptop?

What would be the pros and cons?

Your the one who started working on computers. Shouldn't you be able to tell the difference between them and decide which one is better.

Lets not start this "again" Why cant people ask for others opinion without being smacked in the face.

I'd stick with the Dell until it dies, they are a strong reputable make. But the same can't be said for Gateway.

First thing to do is look at the "hard" specs - pull up each spec sheet side by side and see what the hard drives, RAM, CPU, and video look like next to each other. Then go look for reliability ratings.

Then, if the two machines are close, see how each "feels" to you when using it. You may want to sacrifice maximum RAM capacity for keyboard feel, for instance. Or screen real-estate for weight (if you're going to be using it in a docking station 80%+ of the time, this is a great trade to make)...

These are the things that I would do.

Now, from personal experience, I have found Dells to be un-imaginative and un-inspired machines ... that just keep working. Gateway may have a bit more wild design, but I've not found them as reliable for daily use as the Dell. But the point I'm making is this: DON'T take my word for it; pull these figures together and lay them out side by side.

If you can get a listing of both sets of specs in-thread, I suspect you'll get a lot higher-quality insight and feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    Lets not start this "again" Why cant people ask for others opinion without being smacked in the face.
    Your not being smacked in the face at all. I just have no idea why a person who has their own computer repair "shop" needs help to figure out which laptop is better. To me that just says something about that person.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Your not being smacked in the face at all. I just have no idea why a person who has their own computer repair "shop" needs help to figure out which laptop is better. To me that just says something about that person.
    Why dont you read my post again. I didnt ask because i dont "know' I just simply asked for your OPINION.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Most mechanics specialize in a single manufacturer. Even if they can work on a wide selection of cars, and could give you minor opinions on a lot of makes and models, they still don't know about all of them.

The two above models are old. There have probably been hundreds of models made since then. It isn't stupid to ask for opinions on a computer you have probably never serviced in the wild. Model diversity is a pro and a con in the computer market.

My gut says stick with the dell because gateways, especially older ones, were not particularly hearty machines. The specs don't look drastically different. This is assuming they both run fine.

Quote Originally Posted by frillyfoxy View Post
    Most mechanics specialize in a single manufacturer. Even if they can work on a wide selection of cars, and could give you minor opinions on a lot of makes and models, they still don't know about all of them.

The two above models are old. There have probably been hundreds of models made since then. It isn't stupid to ask for opinions on a computer you have probably never serviced in the wild. Model diversity is a pro and a con in the computer market.
    I don't mind him asking for peoples thoughts on it, however it just seems he would be more qualified to make that decision himself then most of us here on adisc due to his job.