ABU "diapersuit" (onesie) and Preschools

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Just got in my preschools and onesie ("diapersuit")

The preschools are interesting... they're a nice soft clothlike. (softer than many other clothlike - they almost feel like they are a fine cloth) Front panel holds tapes very well, and the tapes are normal tape-panel tapes. High quality tapes, they stick well, still stick when moved a few times, and don't pull off the back (at least in the shorter time I've tested them) So in that regard they're some of the best clothlike diapers I've tried. Normally I wouldn't be a fan of clothlike but these are off to a good start. Thickness is medium, good for daytime work/school wear, and they're pretty quiet too. Leak guards are excellent. I'm only worried about how much the wings will stretch during the day. The good news is I'm confident I can snug up the tapes at lunch if I need to because of the tape panel... tried that with ID Slip Clothlike, nope those tapes aren't going to stay down if you try to move them.

I'm starting to notice a difference in leak guard designs - there seems to be two schools of thought, one runs a single band that's tacked down to the guard strip, and those release almost immediately if they get any lotion on them, otherwise they pull free and dig into skin a few hours later. The guards on ABU's diapers, including the preschool, are double elastic, that's got the material folded over the bands. So many of the tena, bambino, mydiaper, especially the DC Amore (and others) have problems with leak guards coming apart. These don't fall apart on contact with lotion. ABU seems to really understand the value of using higher quality materials and construction, good job!

The "diapersuit" (which seems to sometimes be called a onesie on their website, consistency here?) fits "unusual". I've tried a few before, and all of them have a "plunging crotch" that's down many inches below where the hips end. Now if you're wearing a diaper, which tends to extend down quite a ways on the hips, you see a lot of diaper exposed on the sides with them. The ABU isn't that way, the bottom is a lot closer to "flat" than "V". So when snapping up, I found the sides of the onesie were directly left and right of where I'm doing the snaps. This gives the onesie a very unexpected fit, but I must admit I was hoping for better hip coverage. It just feels odd since that's not normally what I get. (reminds me of what I got when I tried using safety pins to pin the front/back of a tall tshirt to make my own onesie) There's a good chance my diaper won't be exposed at all anywhere when wearing this onesie. I got size XXL, erring on the side of "too big" since a little hot water can fix that. I can stand up, and stretch my hands straight up, which I haven't been able to do before in any of the onesies I've bought, they all tried to yank my diaper up to my belly button or immediately pop all the snaps in the crotch. (I'm about 6ft) I'd say in that direction the fit is perfect. But when I sit, I get quite a bit of loose fabric in the front. I guess that's just the necessary tradeoff for not feeling like you're hanging in a climbing harness when you stand up.

Another interesting feature on these onesies is the leg elastic. Actual, real, firm, around-the-leg elastic. Looks a lot like what you'd see on plastic pants. If you like the plastic pants look, you will love these. ABU was run on their sizes, I would've preferred all white but had to settle for white with stars. Meh. I'm not a Little, but again, if you're a little, you will love the pattern on these. It looks just like you'd expect on a toddler's sleeper. These are round-neck (not v-neck) and the all-white should be totally passable as a regular tshirt under your regular clothes when at work/school. The print pattern extends all the way to and into the collar so if you have stars, it'll show if any of the collar is visible.

The top has short sleeves, but not the "wife beater" thin strap sleeveless from XP Medical. Warmer. I like. Not too long, not too short. Again a nice Little look. Material is thin and soft, feels just like a tshirt. (again comparing with xpmed's, which uses a much thicker material) Snaps hold well, and have a low profile but effective flap over them to prevent jabbing your skin. (XPMed's bodysuits have this cover too but it's like triple-thick material there for some reason and the snaps seem to pop too easily) This XXL has five snaps in the crotch, smaller sizes may have four snaps instead of five. The snaps are easily accessible from the front. NO TAG in back, the size etc info is printed on the shirt. Thank you for that

Thank you for the review! I've been very anxious to try the ABU Preschools, and so far the few reviews I've seen sound positive. I'm definitely saving up for some.

BigKid25 said:
Thank you for the review! I've been very anxious to try the ABU Preschools, and so far the few reviews I've seen sound positive. I'm definitely saving up for some.

for me the true test will be a week of wearing to work, to see how they physically hold up. As long as the sides don't stretch too much and the tapes don't fail somehow I think they'll do well. I'll report back later with what I've found.

They are my favorite cloth diapers for Sure!!!! And the sides don't stretch while wearing in for long periods so no worries. Really Abu made a great great job on these ones. Like you said so soft and the thickness is just right, think but still discreet.

The only problem I have experienced with the ABU Preschool so far is that they leaked out of the front when I was napping one time. Other than that they have functioned flawlessly as a daytime diaper and are really quiet, in comparison they are quieter than Goodnites which have a slight sound to them if you move too quickly, these don't make any noise unless I touch the taping panel.

Totally! No leaks from my side but all diapers leak at some point I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back