Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Folder Hiding

Default Folder Hiding

Want to have stuff on your computer that you don't want your parents to see? If so, read on. This is a tutorial on hiding folders. This tutorial will tell you how to hide folders in 2 different ways.

1st Option:
    This will make folders hidden and unclickable until you unhide it.

Step 1-Create the folder you want to use and name it.
    Step 2-Create a shortcut. type "cmd /k" (without quotes. this goes for all typing situations) in the first blank.
    Step 3-Click "Next"
    Step 4-Name the shortcut (this particular shortcut will be for hiding the folder, so name it something like "Hide")
    Step 5-Right click on the shortcut and hit "properties"
    Step 6-Make sure you are under the shorcut tab.
    Step 7-In the blank titled "Target", type in "C:\Windows\System32\attrib.exe your folder name here +s +h"
    Step 8-In the "Start In:" blank, type in the location of whatever your folder is in. (If your folder's location is "C:\user\admin\documents\my private folder", then type in "C:\user\admin\documents")
    Step 9-Click "Apply" and "Ok"
    Step 10-Copy the shortcut.
    Step 11-This will be your shortcut for revealing the folder once it is hidden, so name it as such.
    Step 12-Go to properties, shortcut like last time.
    Step 13- Change "C:\Windows\System32\attrib.exe tbdl +s +h" to "C:\Windows\System32\attrib.exe tbdl -s -h"
    Step 14-Test it out.
    Step 15-Change the logos if you want.

2nd Option
    This will make a folder that just appears to not exist. It will be fully clickable, and an accidental mouse-over could reveal it.

Step 1-Create the folder. When you have to name it, hold Alt and type on the numpad "0160". If you did it correctly, there will be no name.
    Step 2-Right click and go to properties, and customize.
    Step 3-Click "Change icon".
    Step 4-A popup of small icons will appear. scroll slowly to the right until you see a logo, with 3 blank areas under it.
    Step 5-Click any of those 3 blank logos.
    Step 6-Click "Apply" then "Ok"
    Step 7-The folder should disappear. Feel free to move it around to a corner.

There you go! You now have one of 2 hidden folders! For added security (i'm paranoid ) do both of these, and place the hide and unhide shortcuts from the first option into your invisible folder. Sorry for the long post!

It is best just to use a thumbdrive or other small removable media.

FullMetal

This is pretty cool for people who don't have their own computer. Thanks for the information.

On a different note, Wegs, you should really create a thread in the introduction section of the forum so we can get to know you a little better.

Anyway, welcome to ADISC!

FullMetal

Error404

I already posted this.

You guys should put something together for the answers wiki on this topic. I just checked and it looks like there's nothing up there about this yet. This could go right after how to create a virtual computer.

Error404: I'm new and haven't really scanned through the forums. It took me a while to find all that out and I wanted to try to make it easier for others.

PostTnebrasLux: I didn't know there was a wiki.
    EDIT: I just checked it out, but I can't find any way to put something up.

Frillyfox: I don't really have that stuff.
    Last edited by Wegs; 22-Mar-2009 at 02:52.

thumb drives are pretty cheap and easy to get. Anyways I am glad I haven't had to do this sort of stuff for a few years now. Though I do have to while I am at my mom's, mainly for my little brother's sake. My mom and "stepdad" wouldn't open a link or file if they had a hint of whats behind it.

BabyWolf

#1: Bad idea. You can enable viewing hidden files and folders in Windows in just a few seconds, and any parent who's read even the most basic guide to snooping will know about this. Naming it something incriminating is also a VERY bad idea.

#2: This can break stuff, and is also very easy to find.

A BETTER idea: create a folder somewhere inside the Windows directory to hide your stuff. Name it something subtle that sounds like it belongs there. The downside: if you ever reinstall Windows (even without reformatting), you'll lose it all. Another option: within the Program Files folder of a program that absolutely will never be uninstalled (Microsoft Office is a good choice; just be sure to bury it deeper here, as the Clipart directory can attract unwanted attention).

The best solution is an encrypted jumpdrive. Many jumpdrives come with encryption capabilities on them as a standard feature, and if anyone asks why it's encrypted, you can just say, "I got it and didn't know. I HATE that feature. It's so annoying," or "I don't want people at school copying my work." Jumpdrives are so easy to hide, too, that you shouldn't have a problem with anyone finding it.

Fire2box: They aren't easy to get in my town. I haven't seen them in any stores that I'm able to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyWolf View Post
    #1: Bad idea. You can enable viewing hidden files and folders in Windows in just a few seconds, and any parent who's read even the most basic guide to snooping will know about this. Naming it something incriminating is also a VERY bad idea.

#2: This can break stuff, and is also very easy to find.

A BETTER idea: create a folder somewhere inside the Windows directory to hide your stuff. Name it something subtle that sounds like it belongs there. The downside: if you ever reinstall Windows (even without reformatting), you'll lose it all. Another option: within the Program Files folder of a program that absolutely will never be uninstalled (Microsoft Office is a good choice; just be sure to bury it deeper here, as the Clipart directory can attract unwanted attention).

The best solution is an encrypted jumpdrive. Many jumpdrives come with encryption capabilities on them as a standard feature, and if anyone asks why it's encrypted, you can just say, "I got it and didn't know. I HATE that feature. It's so annoying," or "I don't want people at school copying my work." Jumpdrives are so easy to hide, too, that you shouldn't have a problem with anyone finding it.

First of all, they can name the files what they want. I just used the "Unlock" and "Lock" as examples to make it easier. I would hope that if someone made a folder like this, they would at least have the common sense to bury it somewhere in their computer where no one is likely to look, even if they found the 2 shortcuts and were on to you.

Also, I had never heard of an encrypted jump-drive, but it sounds expensive, and I don't have money to spend. Also, 85% of people with a computer know what encrypted means, and even if they didn't, they would once they found the download page for it because every download page I have ever been to describes what the download is.

You would also have to know what your looking for to get something like that, so i don't believe your "i got it and i didn't know" excuse would work. As for your "I didn't want people at school copying my work" excuse, unless your classmates are proven hackers that can somehow reach into your computer, I doubt highly that excuse would work.

Also, how would my technique break stuff? The first method only uses the command prompt to apply attributes to a folder, and the second method just gives a folder a blank name and icon. I would really like to know how those break things, and depending on the skills of the person who is hiding his folders, it can be hard to find.
    Last edited by Wegs; 22-Mar-2009 at 18:34. Reason: Forgot Some Information

Quote Originally Posted by Wegs View Post
    Fire2box: They aren't easy to get in my town. I haven't seen them in any stores that I'm able to get to.
    They sell them at wal-mart, k-mart, radioshack, big lots, discount stores, etc. Hell you could even buy one online if you wanted to. Newegg.com would be a good place to look.

Newegg.com - OCZ Diesel 2GB Single Channel Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model OCZUSBDSL2G - USB Flash Drives