Dumb Phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
I know this is a odd thing for most adults / teens, but I prefer to use a dumb phone over a smart phone.

To me a phone is to make calls and send texts, that's all, a dumb phone is cheap and does the job for me, I dislike smart phones though they serve the purpose of a phone, all that extra crap a computer can do, I honestly don't see a point in smart phones, sure there perfect for people without computers, but kind of pointless.

I don't have to worry about my dumb phone being targeted, or worry about it getting some kind of malware.

It's not connected to the internet (usually) and has absolutely no gpses in them, there good for paranoid people.

Doesn't chew all your data on app downloads, and best of all the reason I use them mostly, is they can last weeks without having to be recharged, carry two batteries and your set, no need to worry about dropping them etc.

Although I used to own smart phones, I just don't see the need for them, a dumb phone provides everything a phone needs, smart phones are more like computerized phones.

I don't have to worry about android malware, hijacking my camera, don't have to worry about dropping it, they last a long time even.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Use whatever works best for you and don't worry about it being a "dumb" phone.

Smartphones aren't just for people without a computer, they're the equivalent of a mp3 player but in the computer world.

For example I love vinyl, collecting and listening to it, and everything that involves that, yet I love Spotify and mp3 and the ability to listen to music everywhere with just a small device. It has its place.

It's the same with a smartphone, even at home is great to use, as I'm typing this I'm laying on my bed. If I only had a computer I would have to wait for it to boot and then sit on my chair and be stationary the whole time.

It's like having a computer, camera and record player in just a small device that fits on your pocket. How is that not great!? Now, I think there's the real problem of people becoming too obsessed and attached to their smartphones, but that doesn't mean we can't be "smart" and use our smartphones sparingly.

Zendot said:
Smartphones aren't just for people without a computer, they're the equivalent of a mp3 player but in the computer world.

For example I love vinyl, collecting and listening to it, and everything that involves that, yet I love Spotify and mp3 and the ability to listen to music everywhere with just a small device. It has its place.

It's the same with a smartphone, even at home is great to use, as I'm typing this I'm laying on my bed. If I only had a computer I would have to wait for it to boot and then sit on my chair and be stationary the whole time.

It's like having a computer, camera and record player in just a small device that fits on your pocket. How is that not great!? Now, I think there's the real problem of people becoming too obsessed and attached to their smartphones, but that doesn't mean we can't be "smart" and use our smartphones sparingly.

True but I have other things that serve those purposes, such as a portable mp3 player, laptop, desktop I like dumb phones, laptop etc because they serve the purposes I need them for, I really don't need all the features in a smart phone as I have alternatives for them.

I don't hate smart phones persay, but I like the simplicity of dumb phones and the long lasting battery life, I've honestly don't use the other features in a smart phone at all. They just stay in my pocket or lay on my desk, waiting for calls or messages, so I save a ton of money in that sense.

With me dumb phones are perfect for me as they serve a basic purpose, I'm the type of person who just uses phones for calling and text, and that is literally it, no need for anything else with me.

Lets say I literally do not use phones for anything other than calls and text :p

Shybug said:
I don't hate smart phones persay, but I like the simplicity of dumb phones and the long lasting battery life, I've honestly don't use the other features in a smart phone at all. They just stay in my pocket or lay on my desk, waiting for calls or messages, so I save a ton of money in that sense.

Lets say I literally do not use phones for anything other than calls and text :p

Yeah, the battery is a downside of smartphones. Although a lot of it can be solved by closing apps or freeing ram.

I can see why it doesn't appeal to you. At least you tried one. In the end, if you don't see any utility or benefit in it, there's no point in having one just because many people do.

Maxx said:
Making the user oblivious to their surroundings. iZombies. The bane of my existence out on the bike path... joggers and other cyclists lost in their own little musical universe. Random u-turns, meandering from one side of the path to the other. Depending on how loud their volume settings, or how lost they are inside themselves, sometimes I have to lean over their shoulder and shout "ON YOUR LEFT" at the top of my lungs to make sure I've got their attention. Even if they're managing to hold a straight line and stay to the right, passing is a crapshoot because there's no way to know if they're aware of my proximity even after a couple of "on your left"'s at normal volume. So I'm left with option of announcing loud enough to wake the dead and scare normal people out of their socks, or taking a chance that they don't pick that moment to veer into me.

There's no question that modern smartphones are marvelously innovative feats of engineering and manufacturing. The question for the user is cost vs. benefit.

When I'm out and about, I'm not going to skype or text, or even yap on the phone while I'm driving or riding my bike. I won't use earbuds while I'm navigating in public either. I pay attention to my surroundings. You're welcome. I have even less need for computer functions under those circumstances.

I'm a touch typist, so using a touchscreen is annoying for anything but the most basic navigation functions or searches. I have a tablet on my nightstand for reading or visiting here. If you were to check my posts, you'll find I almost never post in the middle of the night.

Bottom line, marvelous as smartphones are, I wouldn't get near enough benefit to justify the cost. It would be different if I were still a salesman on the road, or doing outside service of some sort where the mapping and weather apps would be important and worth the cost. I do have a pay as you go dumb phone with a passable camera. Over the years I've had it, average cost is about $7 per month. The phone itself I got in a clearance bin at Target for $18.

Haha, I saw you post something similar in another thread. That's so funny :)

I agree, that is irritating, but don't judge us all as the same. I'm usually pretty aware of my surroundings, even with headphones, and I try to use as much as I can normal etiquette while walking/being in public. I share some of your frustration. There's nothing more irritating that seeing people on the street behaving like they own the space or that other people around them don't exist.

I understand why smartphones don't appeal to you as well.

As for me, I think they're extremely useful. I can access the internet whenever and wherever I can, listen to music, keep in touch with with family and friends more easily instead of calls or sms, do stuff on the couch or bed that I would otherwise have to do sitting in front of the computer, etc... It's basically a widow to the world that you keep in your pocket. The downside is that we humans can't, a lot of the time, exercise some control over shiny, mesmerizing, tasty things. Becoming addicted to it and oblivious to the consequences of that.

I resisted getting a smartphone for ages. But my sister gave me her old one, and I'm very ambivalent about it.

I wanted it so I could access maps and GPS. It has come in handy, but the battery dies after having the GPS on for an hour or so. And often it won't even pick up a signal at all. Or tells me I'm in a different country.

It's also handy being able to check train and bus times, find nearby shops, and stuff like that. And saves me taking an MP3 player around.

I really can't understand why people spend £600+ on the latest phone, only to replace it in a year. It's nuts.

I'm a computer programmer by trade, and since smartphones are computers, I do enjoy them. I've made a couple of apps before (nothing commercially available), so knowing the inner-workings maybe has something to do with it. There are some technology (like ones that hook up to and control devices for people with diabetes) that I think can change the way people live with the help of a smartphone, and, as a programmer, I think that's pretty neat.

Overall, for my own use, I can echo others here in saying that it is nice to have instant access to music, gps navigation, and the internet at large. But I understand what you're saying. I don't think I use my phone to an excessive amount. I NEVER use it while driving (unless I'm talking, in which case I always use a hands-free headset) and I will very rarely use it at the dinner table or other social situation. Dat's just rude!

tiny said:
I really can't understand why people spend £600+ on the latest phone, only to replace it in a year. It's nuts.
my niece bought her spanish Samsung for 300euros and now can't afford any phone credit; and cos it's spanish, it doesn't look as though she's even got UK 999 access until she's added credit over here :laugh:
we've tried to talk some sense into her, with the offer of a cheapo 'dumb' phone, plus Tesco credit (tripled, as the deal goes) while she gets on her feet, but she won't have it. i guess she's all about appearances, as most girls and girly types are, and wants to be seen as though she's got something and something to do.

i can see all the pros and cons that people have, and have mentioned here. mine was £100, but if i'd still been in work, i wouldn't have bought a smartphone; had i needed a replacement, it would've been a standard push-button phone for one-handed use, use in the rain and snow, the lack of bulk and the sturdiness (i never even wore a watch for work as the ones i had worn always got smashed within hours of working).
i don't agree with kids having mobile devices, fullstop.

Smart Phones? = Dumb people! I've seen too much wreckage from machine operators watching movies to kids texting in their cars and no one is talking anymore their all gaming or watching some dummy getting hurt whilst on their phone on YouTube. My phone makes calls, takes pictures and can text if needed, no web and no data fees.

I've had the same problems as Maxx out on the bike path, and it's not only frustrating, but also dangerous....to me.

As for my smart phone, sadly, it's smarter than I am.

My own smart phone is a 6-year-old Symbian device (which may not mean much to people here, lol). If it wasn't tricked-out, I would have swapped it for something else years ago. My dilemma has been that we're down to largely three smart phone OS's, and none quite suit my needs. I don't willing touch Micro$oft-anything, so that's out. While originally wrangling between Symbian and Android, a user in a similar situation on a smart phone board commented that "to use Android is to hand your ass to Google", and as I don't like being anybody's commodity, that's out. While I applaud Apple's commitment to privacy, even jailbreaking an iPhone won't help turn it into an FM radio, which I would greatly miss, so that's out, too.

I also laugh at the people waiting in line at midnight at the local Apple Store to get the latest model. My original plan (which I may eventually follow through on if/when parts of Android become open source and kinder/gentler) is to buy a good quality Chinese no-name phone and install my choice of Android builds. Currently looking to do this, but with the Salifish OS. Woot!

I have smart phone, not the latest one, not the most expensive either but good enought so i wont loose my mind with it when it keeps crashing (like some most cheapest ones). It's about 2 years old and still does the job. I dont use it so much for calling and texting, only sometimes (with mom mostly or with people without smart phones). I pay about 2-4 euros a month for unlimited internet plus i have to pay calls and texts on that. I use WhatsUp and facebook messenger to conect with most of the people coz its fastest way and also free. I use my internet quite a lot too, mostly checking buss times and how to get somewhere as i live in new city. Also really easy to find fast information i happen to need like timetables for school etc. So for me its more like a pocket size computer. I also like to have camera, calender, notepad, flight tickets, mp3, internet banking and other little things easy to reach when moving around. I could also carry all these separated but why would i when all that can fit in my pocket instead of carrying a bag :p I do understand that some people use their phones just for calling and texting and its fine. Only thing i miss with older phones is the battery lasting for days :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back