Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adhd

Default Adhd

Well, my mother just told me that I have ADHD.

No clue why she just took until now to tell me, that would totally explain my hyperactivity and concentration issues.

Mother didn't tell me until now because It wasn't much of a problem during high school, mostly a problem in primary school.

How do I concentrate better? I find it a huge obstacle in my life?

This would explain why caffeine helps me concentrate, while other peoples will have troubles concentrating with caffeine, hmm this is interesting.

Since I'm doing uni have to be able to concentrate as much as possible.

I am a little confused by this. How exactly does your mother know you have ADHD without you knowing?

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit1987 View Post
    I am a little confused by this. How exactly does your mother know you have ADHD without you knowing?
    I was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age, than aspergers at a later age, I was a problem child, I kind of grew out of the hyperactivity, I've always have had concentration problems.

I was told about my aspergers, but not the ADHD, I think she mentioned something about ADD when I was younger. The same went with my hearing, I knew I had hearing problems, but didn't know how much I was deaf.

I don't know why she would hide that , she also didn't tell me about the tumors she had until the other day either, non-cancerous.

The reason the subject was brought up was I mentioned to her that I think it's best if I get medicated for my anxiety / depression, and she mentioned the adhd and how when I was younger she didn't want to medicate me for the disorder.
    Last edited by Shybug; 18-Oct-2016 at 06:01. Reason: addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Shybug View Post
    I was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age, than aspergers at a later age, I was a problem child, I kind of grew out of the hyperactivity, I've always have had concentration problems.

I was told about my aspergers, but not the ADHD, I think she mentioned something about ADD when I was younger. The same went with my hearing, I knew I had hearing problems, but didn't know how much I was deaf.

I don't know why she would hide that , she also didn't tell me about the tumors she had until the other day either, non-cancerous.
    I see, sorry to hear shybug. I am pretty shocked she wouldn't tell you. But maybe at the time she didn't feel it was necessary? ADHD is one of those things that is actually pretty difficult to diagnose because the symptoms are exhibited in many people who don't actually have it, what matters isn't the symptoms but the amount of time they stick around. So maybe she waited to tell you because she wasn't sure. Of course ... I don't know. Just hypothesizing. The only person who can tell you the exact reason is her, and even she may not know entirely.

We all sometimes do things that we really can't explain from time to time.

I hope now knowing about it, maybe you can get some help for it.

She probably didn't know about that. I didn't find out I was nearsighted until I went for my drivers test. My parents never knew either, and never thought to get it tested, since my school performance was off the charts (skipped 2 grades). I was terrible at ball sports (couldn't see the ball), but my dad had me in swimming and martial arts, so never really worried about that either.

The reason the subject was brought up was I mentioned to her that I think it's best if I get medicated for my anxiety / depression, and she mentioned the adhd and how when I was younger she didn't want to medicate me for the disorder.
    At least you know now when its important, since there could be unexpected reactions to anxiety/depression meds, just like caffeine and other stimulants have the opposite effect on you. If you go to see someone about that, be sure to tell them about the ADHD.

I also have ADHD. I tried managing it with prescription medications, found them more trouble than they are worth.

I manage it now with Caffeine, Omega 3 (high doses: 2-4x the "recommended"), exercise and diet.

ADHD/ADD is incredibly overdiagnosed, part of the overall trend towards medicalizing deviance in Western cultures. My opinion is every kid responds differently to boredom, and some do it in ways that are disadvantageous in a classroom environment (where the majority of ADHD/ADD diagnoses begin), but it would be a crime to confuse that with an ability to pay attention to things in the general sense. Hell, I was diagnosed with ADD in 6th grade. Really I was just an incredibly caffeinated and bored 12-year-old. That's not to say that I'm not hyperactive, because I most definitely am, but does that manifest via a deficit of general attention? Nyet. Sure, I paid better attention to things I thought were exciting, but that's so natural it's almost a tautology; and yeah, I paid considerably less attention to the material than almost anyone in my classes, but I also scored considerably higher than them in every academic metric. The majority of my comrades-in-class can only pay attention to contextually neutered, pre-digested and regurgitated information coming from a human standing near them and I have the attention deficit?

Feh.

I feel that the majority of ADD diagnoses happen at the intersection of teachers who want to make a disruptive student more controllable and adapted to a classroom environment and pharmaceutical companies who are fiduciarially obligated to sell every high-margin levo-cut dextroamphetamine pill they can. But hey, I'm a cynic.

Your mum did well not medicating you as a child. Years of exposure to exogenous dopamine in early brain development probably would have downregulated your DA receptors and caused the symptoms of ADD for a while even if they weren't present prior, or at the very least exacerbated them in adulthood.

I have diagnosed ADHD and Aspergers (ASD). Being diagnosed is sort of like having a manual to myself. It is helpful but not limiting.

A diabetic has to watch sugar. I have to watch distraction. As I drive, people are told upfront I will not talk and drive at the same time at some points. There are times I cannot multitask. In order to be able to drive safely, I can't do 'small talk' and drive. That being said, I have almost 200,000 km on my car with no collisions. So diagnosis means, like a diabetic, I can have to do things others don't to be safe but that does not mean I can't do most things.

With ASD, I have to watch for anxiety, mostly and to lesser degree depression. ABDL helps with anxiety in a big way. Being true to myself helps with depression.

Being touched by strangers is a trigger for me, so I take my stuffed toy when I go to the dentist. They know his name and if I don't have him they ask where is he is. As they have to touch my body to do their job, they realize that I am better to work with with a 'soft friend' to hold than zoned out on Valium or such drugs.

Diagnosis is like a map. With ADHD one might want to put the phone in the trunk, not on the seat. But it should not mean you can't drive or do other adult things if you in fact desire them.

My mom didn't tell me I had ADD. I found out on my own and she didn't tell me if my self diagnoses was correct. I found out through my medical records I was diagnosed with it. I seemed to have grown out of it except I still have a hard time listening for long periods of the time and have a short attention span of listening. It was a real problem through school so that would make me a terrible jury duty person. It's a possibility your mother wasn't sure about the diagnoses so she didn't want to tell you and then you get all excited because it explains everything and then she finds out you don't actually have it and then she would have to break the "bad" news to you and then you are left disappointed because you then don't understand all these symptoms you have and you are back to wondering again what is wrong with you. I asked my mother why she didn't tell me about my ADD and she said she didn't know what was wrong with me. It's possible my mom was unsure about my diagnoses because she knew I had more going on because my treatment for it wasn't working and neither were the pills. But she gets defensive if I ever ask her any questions about my childhood and ask about her choices she made with me so I suspect she is insecured about her parenting choices she's made with me. She got defensive when I asked her why she didn't tell me when I was asking then what was wrong with me and how I wish I could trade my brain for a new brain to be normal but yet she decided to tell me about Asperger's, depression, anxiety and OCD from 6th grade and up but didn't tell me of any other disorders I had before then aside from hearing loss and ear infections. That is when she got defensive with me and started cursing.

Well, my mother just told me that I have ADHD.

No clue why she just took until now to tell me, that would totally explain my hyperactivity and concentration issues.

Mother didn't tell me until now because It wasn't much of a problem during high school, mostly a problem in primary school.

How do I concentrate better? I find it a huge obstacle in my life?

This would explain why caffeine helps me concentrate, while other peoples will have troubles concentrating with caffeine, hmm this is interesting.

Since I'm doing uni have to be able to concentrate as much as possible.
    I got diagnosed with ADHD as an adult. My whole family has it, with my siblings being diagnosed as kids, but on the back of being smart enough that it didn't matter if my study habits were terrible, I got a few years into the adult world before it really caught up to me. This is something you want to address as soon as possible, before you start accumulating a trail of mediocre results that will follow you around.

Drinking a lot of caffeine is pretty typical of those with undiagnosed/untreated ADHD; I sure as heck drank a lot of it. It's a mild stimulant. The basic pathological understanding of ADHD is that it is caused by decreased levels of dopamine transmission; stimulants as a class of drugs typically work by increasing transmission at dopaminergic synapses. In those with ADHD, stimulants have a lot of paradoxical effects versus a normal patient because instead of pushing someone who's in the normal range above it, you're pushing someone who's below the normal range into it. (Stimulants are not the only medication class used in treatment, but they are the most specific fix to the mechanism at issue and they are first-line because they're typically the most effective.)

I got on meds, and it's been a paradigm shift. A lot of work that I struggled to do before, not because I wasn't capable of it but because I couldn't bring myself to keep working on it for hours and hours without becoming enormously stressed out, I can now sit down and do during the day. In the adult world, you quickly reach a point where being able to focus on work all day is a job requirement, at least for professional, decently-paying jobs.

You should talk to a doctor about this; your university student health office will either have staff on hand who are specifically there to treat mental health issues or can refer you to a doctor who can. If you made it through high school without problems, it may or may not be significant enough to meet the criteria, but I suspect you have an idea that you do if you're posting this thread. Medication is the 1st-line treatment for ADHD, which is generally well-tolerated and effective, and it is often also combined with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post
    Your mum did well not medicating you as a child. Years of exposure to exogenous dopamine in early brain development probably would have downregulated your DA receptors and caused the symptoms of ADD for a while even if they weren't present prior, or at the very least exacerbated them in adulthood.
    Quite the opposite - his mom did him a disservice (knowing no other mitigating information and that there are ongoing symptoms causing disruption). The heavy weight of the evidence is that treatment of ADHD in kids is helpful, because being able to learn effectively in school is critical to long-run well-being and the side effects are very manageable.

Essentially every medication is a question of weighing benefits versus adverse effects. Most of the ones that get prescribed very often have clear cost-benefit cases for applicable patients. ADHD drugs aren't poorly studied - these are scheduled substances with clear potential for abuse - not exactly the thing regulators would approve for mass use in kids without compelling studies.

There is not evidence of any significant long-term drawbacks to treating ADHD (other than the typical contraindications of the medications), or that treating the problem exacerbates ADHD in the long-run. There is evidence that tolerance to these medication can develop over years, but this can typically be worked around by switching medications.

It may or may not be true that ADHD in kids is overdiagnosed - the fact of the matter is that those that really have it can benefit greatly by treating it. That's really beside the point though; this over-diagnosis claim is not typically made about adults, and we're looking at a case here where an adult who thinks they've got significant hyperactivity and concentration issues is concerned.
    Last edited by Fruitkitty; 26-Oct-2016 at 07:52.