Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with mental disorders

Default Dealing with mental disorders

I am stuggling to cope with Borderline Personality Disorder. Any tips would be lovely.

Hia. I don't know much about your particular trouble, but I suffer with OCD and anxiety, and am a happy to chat if I can help.

I learned recently it's very possible I may have the same disorder, at least it's the way it seems considering have just about all the symptoms of it. So I am also actually interested in knowing if anyone has some tips on the matter.

Btw a little off topic, CuteBabNexus I love your avatar, it's super cute.

Quote Originally Posted by CuteBabNexus View Post
    snipping
    To the matter at hand:
    I thought that I knew what BPD was and, how to get a basic assessment of it... turns out, I don't...

However, I have a friend who has been recently diagnosed with it and, more recently still... her daughter too... I'm hoping to get some time to learn more about it...

You have my genuine empathy and concern, CuteBabNexus!

Please forgive me, as I might be pulling this out of my ass... remember that what you feel is not always what you believe... I think that may be part of the confusion...

I will try to help in any way that I can - just know, that I am not very familiar with the true aspects of BPD...

If, you feel the need to vent - I or, probably others here too... would welcome your PM for that or just in general...

I am genuine and sincere though, I am not without flaws...

I assume, that you are with some sort of professional/educated help?

My best to you,
    -Marka
    Last edited by Marka; 15-Oct-2016 at 00:31. Reason: removing quote of deleted post; redacted for same

I had most of the symptoms as a teenager and throughout college. Even as a kid, I would hear voices but I couldn't tell what they were saying, so I'd just ignore them. Eventually my senior year, I had a psychotic break and my mom sent me to a psychiatrist at a big residential facility.

If you've ever seen the movie "Girl Interrupted" or read her auto biography, you will gain some insight as to the harmful effects, but also how to overcome Borderline. For me, I became so hurt from the years of destructive behavior, that I simply faced it and was determined to deliberately change my behavior. It wasn't easy and I left some people I dearly loved. I simply had to restart my life. I was a danger to myself and to others and I didn't want to be that person.

I think the older one gets, the easier it becomes to ignore some of the impulses. I still have to watch myself, and I really try to use a filter on my mouth before I say things that I know will get me in trouble. My inner mind is always running, and there's almost always a dialogue gong on unless I'm grossly involved in doing stuff. Not long ago I wanted to buy a digital piano and my wife pushed me into finding a music store that sold the one I wanted. We bought it and now I play and practice every afternoon. Before that I was writing a novel and before that I worked three jobs, anything to keep my mine occupied. It's not easy, but it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I still have to watch myself, and I really try to use a filter on my mouth before I say things that I know will get me in trouble. My inner mind is always running, and there's almost always a dialogue gong on unless I'm grossly involved in doing stuff.
    I don't know how you do it. Even when I try to filter myself I generally still end up saying things that get me into trouble rofl. I jsut becoem so overwhelmed, upset an angry about such minor things. Like a friend not being able to hang out with me.

I can barely cope sometimes. I have the same issues as brabbit1987, I end up getting myself into bother. Biggest risk come to, I would just enter uber depression.

I was also diagnosed with BPD and scizoaffective disorder and I'm still trying to deal with ways to cope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty1512 View Post
    I was also diagnosed with BPD and scizoaffective disorder and I'm still trying to deal with ways to cope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Owch, sounds bad. I struggle to cope without intoxication or sleeping. Being paranoid half the time doesn't help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    To the matter at hand:
    I thought that I knew what BPD was and, how to get a basic assessment of it... turns out, I don't...

However, I have a friend who has been recently diagnosed with it and, more recently still... her daughter too... I'm hoping to get some time to learn more about it...

You have my genuine empathy and concern, CuteBabNexus!

Please forgive me, as I might be pulling this out of my ass... remember that what you feel is not always what you believe... I think that may be part of the confusion...

I will try to help in any way that I can - just know, that I am not very familiar with the true aspects of BPD...

If, you feel the need to vent - I or, probably others here too... would welcome your PM for that or just in general...

I am genuine and sincere though, I am not without flaws...

I assume, that you are with some sort of professional/educated help?

My best to you,
    -Marka
    No, I don't get help because I can still function normally. I do have a psychitrist though if thats what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by CuteBabNexus View Post
    [...]

- - - Updated - - -

No, I don't get help because I can still function normally. I do have a psychitrist though if thats what you mean.
    Excellent! That's precisely what I meant (psychiatry or psychology)... That's good... I'm reading some interesting things (I may have had some of these issues myself, before...) It's quite convoluted though... If I can find anything practical, I'll share my findings...

Be well,
    -Marka