Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you for or against School Uniforms?

Default Are you for or against School Uniforms?

So. I have had this chat everywhere i could find it, on 3 forums, on the teamspeak, the discord and some friends over on skype. So i wanted to ask you guys.

Are you against, or for schools having mandatory School Uniforms. Now because the most common complaint about them i get is "they are expensive" answer if though the schools would supply them for free. why are you against them? Why are you with them? Tell me your opinion and your reasoning behind them

I am going to post my opinions, however if i did it in this post, i am sure most of the comments were to break apart my reasoning so i will wait for a bit to comments to come in, and then give you my answer.

Throughout all my school years (elementary to high school) we always had uniforms. I don't know about custom uniforms, but one ones we wore were very very cheap. Blue/black jeans and a certain color button up polo. They all had uniforms so it's less likely for a random person to wander in the school, all the security guards can easily identify students (this applies more to high school kids), less bullying for your choice of clothes, and supposedly to prevent gangs from popping up. I agree with all of those reasons except the gangs. Making everyone wear particular colors won't stop any gangs.
    Personally, I liked uniforms.

I never had to put much thought into my outfit. And often I would reuse clothes because it's extremely likely no one would notice as long as they were clean.

There was no bullying for what you wore either (at least not at my school).
    The only downside I could think of is not really having much use for all those polo shirts after graduating high school.

Disclaimer: I was homeschooled all my life, but I guess that doesn't totally make my opinion invalid...

I don't really like the idea of school uniforms. No, it's not the world's greatest crisis, but to me it stifles individuality and self-expression. I always saw it as reflecting a sense of mass conformity, especially since, in the United States anyway, it seems to be more common in Catholic schools, and I'm against the force-feeding of religion-based standards on children. In that case I see the uniforms as little more than a helper in the effort to mold the kids all into the same thing, as we know organized religion is pretty much all about doing the same thing as your fellow members and generally isn't too tolerant of people straying too far from its norms.

Boy this is a toss up.
    In some cases no. In a private school situation It is part of the package.
    In some situations, yes. However the cost would also indicate the "cultural" situation and self defeating.

So the other side of the question: would a "strict" dress code be as bad as a uniform cost wise?

P.S. the way my mother bought school cloths it might as well been a uniform. 5 pairs of jeans, socks, underwear, and 5 similar button up shirts. And they HAD TO LAST for the whole year. So her side: the jeans where bought to big and I would grow into them> on my side they where 2 inches to long and no matter how I turned the cuffs up by the end of the day I was walking on the cuffs. Therefore With in a month the pants legs where in shreds and I was in trouble for ruining my pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenka View Post
    So. I have had this chat everywhere i could find it, on 3 forums, on the teamspeak, the discord and some friends over on skype. So i wanted to ask you guys.

My high school had this stupid policy, if you weren't wearing the exact uniform with a logo on it, doesn't matter if it's the same color, you'll get sent home and detention.

Are you against, or for schools having mandatory School Uniforms. Now because the most common complaint about them i get is "they are expensive" answer if though the schools would supply them for free. why are you against them? Why are you with them? Tell me your opinion and your reasoning behind them

I am going to post my opinions, however if i did it in this post, i am sure most of the comments were to break apart my reasoning so i will wait for a bit to comments to come in, and then give you my answer.
    You mean prison uniforms?

In all seriousness, I'm against school uniforms, mostly because as a child they kind of ruin your ability to identify, though at the same time, some school uniforms aren't too bad as long as it's not a specific item, and allows people to substitute ie instead of the $50 dollar t-shirt with the school logo, a blue tshirt is fine.

The gang thing that sheepie is talking about, my old school had messed up rules that pretty much prevented any fun at all, you weren't allowed to have boy friends or girl friends, had a stupid healthy eating policy where you had to eat crap food, such as veggie fucking burgers.

Like why should I miss out on eating good food once in a while, because some parents buy fatty food for them every day, didn't really stop anything, as the parents would always bring them hungry jacks for lunch, making those who eat at the canteen suffer with crap food, even the hot dogs tasted shit as they were "healthy alternatives".

Drove me mental no need to outright ban unhealthy food, because a bunch of people can't look after themselves, or parent what the kids eat. I only ever think there were a handful of people who ate from the canteen every day, and that was parents who gave them money everyday and they would end up wasting it on like 5 hot dogs.

Oh and don't get my started on the "no ice creams policy" where you wouldn't be allowed to eat ice creams at recess if you were like in year 5 or some nonsense.

There was also a no gun policy, I don't mean USA, USA should of bared arms, I mean no finger guns, no mention of guns, or drawings of guns, and there was also a rule, that as an aspie kind of fucked me over a lot. the 3 in a group rule. long story short, sport could only be played by 6 people, you could only hang around with 3 people at once, which meant, I missed out on playing soccer with my friends all the time, couldn't even walk or talk with my friends, and this resulted in "favoritism" so instead of me and the two friends hanging out, it was just them and me sitting alone on the bench.

It was to stop the "school gang epidemic" which ironically I don't even think even exists the stupid principles assistant saw some stupid shit on the TV and copied it essentially because some school in tazzie did it, oh and the punishments for walking in a group were very harsh.

I'm glad I left, I swear it was more strict than a private school. Literally they implimented a more strict version of this http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/th...027-1735w.html

Ironcly, my primary school has had NO history of "gangs" at all it was more like, the rich people hanging with rich people, aspies hanging out with aspies, etc.

girls hanging out with girls, boys hanging out with boys, ironically I was that kid who always hanged around girls though probably a red flag for me being trans.

My old school was so fucking messed up.
    Last edited by Shybug; 14-Oct-2016 at 01:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenka View Post
    in the current context of things, i'm against them. i can see the point when the argument is about not messing your 'own' clothes, but most of the other arguments are simply a case of, "because we said so" and really smack of an attempt to force a conformity and to stamp out individuality of thought and expression, and that most probably has it's roots in the militarism of the past. and, more recently, uniforms have become a money-making scam for schools (and/or certain individuals within a school's heirarchy).
    we don't get much of the 'free supply' argument in Britain (people have just become so used to having to buy school uniform), but that is also one of the most valid arguments against school uniform. there's a sense that schools have been left to have their own way for too long, with them on one hand shouting about their rights as 'legal guardians' during school hours, but on the other hand, they always shirk from the responsibilites of such guardianship, which includes clothing and feeding the child (not to mention protecting the child from harm, with regard to bullying). if parents treated their children the way that schools do, they'd end up in prison.
    the uniforms, on the whole, are also ghastly and designed for taller-than-average adults and therefore make children look riduculous, especially when blazers are worn.

and let's not forget that 'uniforms' aren't uniform at all. that's just a complete lie: boys and girls wear different, don't they? therefore, not uniform.

you can see that it's been a niggle of mine for some time. as such, i concluded that the french style apron/pinafore/smock was the best alternative and compromise. they could be kept at school; and they could be made at school as part of lessons in basic sewing and industry.

I'm in favor of fairly strict dress codes, but not necessarily uniforms. You can allow kids to show off their individuality while still maintaining a good appearance.

This is a tough question for me. Years ago, In the past, I was simply against kids having to wear school uniforms. After all, we spend so much of our adult lives at work wearing suits and ties that strangle us, why not let kids enjoy their youth in comfort while they can?

However, in my line of work throughout the years in the non-profit sector, I've helped a number of parents living in poverty who had no money, and the beginning of the school year was a major stressor for them. I think of the single parents who can't afford the trendy jeans for their kids which are running at over a hundred dollars a pair. They can't afford to spend the money on designer clothes that more affluent families can buy for their kids. Parents with low incomes often have no choice but to get their kids' clothes at discount stores, second-hand stores or rely on hand-me-downs. When you're a kid from a poor family in school, it shows in the clothes. And it is most often the poorest kids who are marginalized and rejected by their peers.

Uniforms suck because they don't allow for individuality and they demand conformism at a young age. On the other hand, they level the playing field by ensuring that each student is on an equal footing and that family poverty does not stand out amongst their peers.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 14-Oct-2016 at 13:34.

I am neither for or against it. I do absolutely believe there needs to be a dress code though at the very least.
    If they do have uniforms, I think they should at least be something people would want to wear. Just to give an example, Japanese schools generally have pretty nice uniforms.

Default Uniformity...

Quote Originally Posted by Zenka;1402657[...
    Are you against, or for schools having mandatory School Uniforms. [...]
    I like to wear school uniforms... I'm far and again out of school though, so that's an entirely different matter

I'm not convinced that uniforms so effectively thwart the individual yet, I'm inclined to believe that they do perhaps, level the starting-line...

If one is advanced or, degraded by the clothing that they wear, alone... one is not much more than a clothing-rack, in my estimation...

Uniformity, is most advantageous when building a road... (amongst other things)

I'm generally in favor of reducing the competition about looks, over the striving of each individual to their greater potential...

To each person, be their best - no matter how similar or different they appear or, in-fact are...

For now,
    -Marka

---updated---

I'm for schools having mandatory School Uniforms - mostly...
    Last edited by Marka; 14-Oct-2016 at 07:39. Reason: I felt like it... do you question my authority to do so ;)